Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor doesn't align with notch.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Temo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Distributor doesn't align with notch. Reply with quote

Hi,

I removed the spark plug wires from my 111 905 205 N distributor and when I wanted to put them back I notice that at TDC the rotor does not align with the notch in the distributor.

At TDC the rotor points towards the No 1 piston.

Car was running great and I know that I should have mark the wires but I screw up on this one.

Should I just go by what I have now as in plug the #1 in that position and go from there...

or

Is it worth to remove the distributor and take apart whatever needs to be taken apart so the rotor and the notch will align at TDC?

Hope this make sense.

Thanks in advance!

2021 Tiguan R
2017 Tiguan
2015 Passat TDI

'72 Convertible Under Construction
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor doesn't align with notch. Reply with quote

To check . . .
first, turn the pulley so that it is at TDC.
Next, remove the right side valve cover . . . rockers for #1 should have a gap and the exhaust valve for #2 should be open.
At this point the rotor will be firing #1 . . . that would ideally be pointing at the notch on the distributor body which should be at about the "5 o'clock" position.
If not, the drive is not installed correctly . . . change it if you want.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor doesn't align with notch. Reply with quote

If it runs good LEAVE IT ALONE. Clean the cap real good, then with a sharpie, number the cap where each wire will go. You can even do this where the wire boot will cover it. You will not notice any performance difference if you change it, but you will spend a lot of time to get the position right. As an example, I am running a Type 1 SVDA in a Type 4 engine. To make it where the vacuum can would fit, I not only flopped the distributer foot 180 degrees, but I also moved the distributer drive about 4 teeth.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor doesn't align with notch. Reply with quote

Remove engine
complete tear down and overhaul
make sure upon reassembly it is noted a demand to correct distributor orientation.

OVERKILL huh?

but really leave it be. Or fix it next time.

Sorta like when I suggest adjusting brakes here to someone to regain pedal height and the next guy comes along telling them to replace everything steering wheel to hub cap.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor doesn't align with notch. Reply with quote

Don't make the mistake of thinking the small notch in the rim of the distributor body is a TDC mark. It is not that precise. It is a "#1 plug wire" mark. But unlike the TDC mark on the crank pulley which always indicates when #1 cylinder (and #3 cylinder) are at the top of their stroke... think of this mark as a pencil mark that you need to place correctly for it to have value. I don't trust this mark until I verify it actually indicates the #1 plug wire position on the distributor.
Also, if your distributor has an advance mechanism (mechanical or vacuum) the rotor orientation changes as engine rpms increase. The rotor will change its position relative to the plug wires in the cap as advance kicks in. You would want the rotor tip slightly CCW from the center of the plug wire conductor so when the timing advance kicks in it remains centered around the post and not pulling away from it. For this reason you should expect the rotor WILL NOT be perfectly centered on the notch while at rest.

Follow 57BLITZ's instructions to make sure your cam/crank are at #1 TDC (#1 intake and exhaust valves are closed). When your engine is in this orientation your distributor NEEDS to deliver the spark to the #1 cylinder. So place the #1 plug wire over the tip of the rotor. Prior to doing this, rotate the distributor body so the notch is in the rim is near the rotor tip. Now the notch is your "verified" #1 plug wire position marker.

If the PO installed the distributor drive gear incorrectly, the rotor could be pointing to one of 12 different positions around the distributor (12-toothed drive gear). If the drive gear was installed incorrectly (or a different distributor installed) the #1 plug wire position may not be where it was originally. The important thing is the distributor delivers the spark to the correct cylinder when that cylinder is at the end of its compression stroke. Do this and the engine will start.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor doesn't align with notch. Reply with quote

Use a paint pen and write 1, 2, 3, 4 by appropriate places on your distributor cap.

Always replace spark plug wires (any vehicle) one at a time.

And re-read the previous posts.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: