Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Iron Pots the 1990 Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: (Still Happy) New Vanagon Owner But There Are Issues (Of Course) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
See you soon, Iron Pots.

Come back all ready for adventure.

I wish my parents had bought me a Westie when I was 6....

Laughing

Right?! Super excited to get him back all ready to play.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: (Still Happy) New Vanagon Owner But There Are Issues (Of Course) Reply with quote

Looks like you will avoid the problems detailed by Joni Mitchell:

"I came upon a child of god
he was walking along a road
and this he told me
Said, my Vanagon broke down
and I'm going down to Yasgur's junk yard
..."
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: (Still Happy) New Vanagon Owner But There Are Issues (Of Course) Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
Looks like you will avoid the problems detailed by Joni Mitchell:

"I came upon a child of god
he was walking along a road
and this he told me
Said, my Vanagon broke down
and I'm going down to Yasgur's junk yard
..."

Let's hope!

I changed the subject line to keep this as a thread for Iron Pots. I know I enjoy reading about others' sagas with their vanagons so I figured I'd keep all of our mishaps and adventures in one thread.

I'm happy to say I picked up Iron Pots last night from Flint's European Automotive.

He now has a new water pump, new fuel lines, a resealed fuel tank, a blaze cut, a 3 point seat belt in the back, a new sink pump, a new regulator for the propane tank, a new TDI starter, a new passenger side window switch, the driver's seat now swivels, and the ARB awning are all installed thanks to Andrew.

Can't believe how much I missed him in the week and a half he was there and I was gone for most of it. I am just about going mad waiting for it to warm up enough to go on our first camping trip.

I drove him to work today and got him a bath on the way in. It was a drive-thru car wash and he leaked a little from the skylight and sliding door but he's looking pretty spiffy.

My daughter and I contemplated making dinner in him tonight just for fun but I think we've decide to just make hot chocolate instead Smile.

I ordered new water lines for the sink so since I had Andrew do all the rest that will be my first project that I'm going to do on my own.

If anyone has a grey front table, leg, and mount (any or all of these) I'm in the market. Just posted in the wanted to buy section of the classifieds as well. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2036439.

I think the only other thing we might want to get now for camping is a memory foam mattress topper for the bottom and maybe also top bunks.

I really can't wait for it to warm up cause Iron Pots is ready!

Last edited by katstan on Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Iron Pots the 1990 Vanagon Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Warm enough? Its Spring already!
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Iron Pots the 1990 Vanagon Reply with quote

I haven't read all 6 pages of this thread, but the opener about the cold, "camping" in the yard makes me want to remind you: any small electric heater can be plugged into the plug plate near the bed-seat. Then a 3-prong outdoor use extension cord into your house, and you've got a cozy spot till these cold nights go away. Your daughter will be impressed.
When my girl was young- 9-ish to 12 or 13, we went to Assateague/ Chincoteague island on the outer VA coast, for the "Pony Penning Days" events in July- with 2, later 3 of her friends on board. I ended up in my small tent behind the car, with the girls in charge inside. Get a copy of "Misty of Chincoteague", written in the '50s, or the movie version (maybe even on youtube?) and your daughter will fall in love with the scene there. (Heck, watch the movie with her even if you can't schedule the trip for a few years!) Every year they round up the wild ponies, sell off enough of the new foals to keep the pressure from overcoming the ecology-- and have a county fair for a few days, with rides, etc. Tom's campground is right next to the place where they swim the ponies across the channel, and also to the street on which they herd them to the fairgrounds. And if you bring a small rubber dingy in your luggage rack above the driver/passenger, you can even paddle out to within 30 feet of the swimming horses! I know it's a bit more of a trip from NY state than for me here in northern VA, but it's the best Westy trip she'll ever have, any you adults will love it, too. Just check their website for the exact date.
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Iron Pots the 1990 Vanagon Reply with quote

pinetreeporsche wrote:
I haven't read all 6 pages of this thread, but the opener about the cold, "camping" in the yard makes me want to remind you: any small electric heater can be plugged into the plug plate near the bed-seat. Then a 3-prong outdoor use extension cord into your house, and you've got a cozy spot till these cold nights go away. Your daughter will be impressed.
When my girl was young- 9-ish to 12 or 13, we went to Assateague/ Chincoteague island on the outer VA coast, for the "Pony Penning Days" events in July- with 2, later 3 of her friends on board. I ended up in my small tent behind the car, with the girls in charge inside. Get a copy of "Misty of Chincoteague", written in the '50s, or the movie version (maybe even on youtube?) and your daughter will fall in love with the scene there. (Heck, watch the movie with her even if you can't schedule the trip for a few years!) Every year they round up the wild ponies, sell off enough of the new foals to keep the pressure from overcoming the ecology-- and have a county fair for a few days, with rides, etc. Tom's campground is right next to the place where they swim the ponies across the channel, and also to the street on which they herd them to the fairgrounds. And if you bring a small rubber dingy in your luggage rack above the driver/passenger, you can even paddle out to within 30 feet of the swimming horses! I know it's a bit more of a trip from NY state than for me here in northern VA, but it's the best Westy trip she'll ever have, any you adults will love it, too. Just check their website for the exact date.

Oh that's brilliant... I don't know why I didn't think of plugging in an electric heater before. Was thinking of getting a Mr Buddy but didn't want to sleep with it on of course. Okay, we'll definitely be doing some driveway camping this weekend. Thank you!

And it's so funny you mentioned Chincoteague... I've never been but remember a friend going when we were kids and thinking it sounded like a fun place to take our daughter. It's one of the places I want to road trip to this year. That and to see the whales on the Saint Lawrence River north of Quebec City. We'll definitely have to make that happen.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Iron Pots the 1990 Vanagon Reply with quote

Plug that heater directly into the extension cord until you get chance to go through the AC plug, wiring, and 'shore connection' completely. Stock system is fine, but treat it like the 27 year piece of house wiring that has been vibrated for its life, that it is.

Couple of simple tests. Measure AC voltage at cord, plug in, look for AC voltage at outlets of cars. These voltages should be the same within error of the VOM. You want no loss in this system. Loss means resistance, which means heat, which is bad.
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Iron Pots the 1990 Vanagon Reply with quote

katstan wrote:
[quote... And it's so funny you mentioned Chincoteague... I've never been but remember a friend going when we were kids and thinking it sounded like a fun place to take our daughter. It's one of the places I want to road trip to this year. That and to see the whales on the Saint Lawrence River north of Quebec City. We'll definitely have to make that happen.

After I posted the above, I remembered another perk of going there: At the north end of Assateague Island that's a National Seashore park. Accessed from the N or Maryland end, you can camp ON THE BEACH (unless it's been changed since I was last there, almost 10 years ago). Call them for verification, and do make reservations there. Tom's campground is easier: all 4 times we went, we pulled in mid-afternoon the day before the morning pony swim and had no trouble- although we didn't ask for hook-ups (water or electricity).
Oh, year- one more attraction there. Just before Chincoteague, on the only access road, you go past the Wallops Is. missile launch site. It was busy in the '50s, till shut down by Cape Canaveral's development. But 5 years or so it started launching again (I watched one- an after-dark shot- visible from a spot a mile from my house here in the west suburbs of DC!). One shot a year or so ago put a satellite into orbit around the moon, collecting data on the very thin atmosphere there! There's a small (compared to Cape C) visitor site, and its unlikely that a rocket launch will be scheduled around the time of thee Pony Penning/ roundup, but if you're going anyway.....
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Iron Pots the 1990 Vanagon Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Plug that heater directly into the extension cord until you get chance to go through the AC plug, wiring, and 'shore connection' completely. Stock system is fine, but treat it like the 27 year piece of house wiring that has been vibrated for its life, that it is.

Couple of simple tests. Measure AC voltage at cord, plug in, look for AC voltage at outlets of cars. These voltages should be the same within error of the VOM. You want no loss in this system. Loss means resistance, which means heat, which is bad.

got it. need a voltmeter for that... I'll order this one unless there's another type I should be looking at: https://www.amazon.com/DROK-80-300V-Voltage-Monito...amp;sr=1-3
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Iron Pots the 1990 Vanagon Reply with quote

pinetreeporsche wrote:
katstan wrote:
[quote... And it's so funny you mentioned Chincoteague... I've never been but remember a friend going when we were kids and thinking it sounded like a fun place to take our daughter. It's one of the places I want to road trip to this year. That and to see the whales on the Saint Lawrence River north of Quebec City. We'll definitely have to make that happen.

After I posted the above, I remembered another perk of going there: At the north end of Assateague Island that's a National Seashore park. Accessed from the N or Maryland end, you can camp ON THE BEACH (unless it's been changed since I was last there, almost 10 years ago). Call them for verification, and do make reservations there. Tom's campground is easier: all 4 times we went, we pulled in mid-afternoon the day before the morning pony swim and had no trouble- although we didn't ask for hook-ups (water or electricity).
Oh, year- one more attraction there. Just before Chincoteague, on the only access road, you go past the Wallops Is. missile launch site. It was busy in the '50s, till shut down by Cape Canaveral's development. But 5 years or so it started launching again (I watched one- an after-dark shot- visible from a spot a mile from my house here in the west suburbs of DC!). One shot a year or so ago put a satellite into orbit around the moon, collecting data on the very thin atmosphere there! There's a small (compared to Cape C) visitor site, and its unlikely that a rocket launch will be scheduled around the time of thee Pony Penning/ roundup, but if you're going anyway.....

Sweet. That sounds awesome. Is this the campground? https://www.recreation.gov/camping/map_of_Assateag...eRb=202270
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Iron Pots the 1990 Vanagon Reply with quote

katstan wrote:
Abscate wrote:

got it. need a voltmeter for that... I'll order this one unless there's another type I should be looking at: https://www.amazon.com/DROK-80-300V-Voltage-Monito...amp;sr=1-3

I'll up sell you to a better one which can be used to,troubleshoot your house and car...boat too, once Miss IronPots gets the sailing bug.

You can buy a pretty good one at Lowes and get a lifetime warranty too

Something like this...a 10 amp current rating will let you test auto current on most things except starter and charging circuits

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-Digital-Multimeter-Meter/1000098704
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Iron Pots the 1990 Vanagon Reply with quote

katstan wrote:
[quote... Is this the campground? https://www.recreation.gov/camping/map_of_Assateag...eRb=202270

Can't be sure, but I think so.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Iron Pots the 1990 Vanagon Reply with quote

Mrs Dr Abscate reminds me our last visit to Assateauge she was in the middle of nasty second trimester morning sickness with the twins. That cancelled any more kids so I turned to boats. The boats are all girls too.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Iron Pots the 1990 Vanagon Reply with quote

Katstan,

we've travelled (most of us have) extensively in the coastal to north east as a group of VWs camping..
at Assateague there are 2 campgounds the MD state park and the Federal park. the MD state park doesn't allow dogs (if you travel with one) the Federal does. the MD park has nicer facilities and sprays for insects. both parks the ponys will walk right thru your campsites.. so don't leave coolers out (they know how to open them) and watch your step..

I've travelled the St Lawrence to Tadoussac a few times and hoping again this summer. the best campgroundis Bon Desire but availability goes quick. a very nice campground is https://vacancesessipit.com/campings/camping-tadoussac/ with sites 51-57 being best (view and walk to rest room) practice your french, they do speak 'some' english but not much.
do note that the Mtn climbs/grades on the north shore of the St Lawrence from Quebec city to Escoumins will truely test your van and your own patience.. the south shore is much more flat, and while the ferry across is $40+ the wear&tear it saves is alot. though the north shore route is very picturesque through the 'Laurentians'

while I could go on from our travels across the north east and down the coast. I'll add this one last little gem that is an easy weekend trip from your area. Parc de la Gorge de Coaticook http://gorgedecoaticook.qc.ca/en/stays
sites 6,7,11,12,13 in Sector "S"
the gem is the nightly (additional fee activity) Forestra Lumina http://forestalumina.com/en/
enjoy the van and the family memories you'll be creating.. it's a very special (near priceless) thing. feel free to PM me on any NY,VT,Qc,NH,ME travel tips.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Iron Pots the 1990 Vanagon Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
Katstan,

we've travelled (most of us have) extensively in the coastal to north east as a group of VWs camping..
at Assateague there are 2 campgounds the MD state park and the Federal park. the MD state park doesn't allow dogs (if you travel with one) the Federal does. the MD park has nicer facilities and sprays for insects. both parks the ponys will walk right thru your campsites.. so don't leave coolers out (they know how to open them) and watch your step..

I've travelled the St Lawrence to Tadoussac a few times and hoping again this summer. the best campgroundis Bon Desire but availability goes quick. a very nice campground is https://vacancesessipit.com/campings/camping-tadoussac/ with sites 51-57 being best (view and walk to rest room) practice your french, they do speak 'some' english but not much.
do note that the Mtn climbs/grades on the north shore of the St Lawrence from Quebec city to Escoumins will truely test your van and your own patience.. the south shore is much more flat, and while the ferry across is $40+ the wear&tear it saves is alot. though the north shore route is very picturesque through the 'Laurentians'

while I could go on from our travels across the north east and down the coast. I'll add this one last little gem that is an easy weekend trip from your area. Parc de la Gorge de Coaticook http://gorgedecoaticook.qc.ca/en/stays
sites 6,7,11,12,13 in Sector "S"
the gem is the nightly (additional fee activity) Forestra Lumina http://forestalumina.com/en/
enjoy the van and the family memories you'll be creating.. it's a very special (near priceless) thing. feel free to PM me on any NY,VT,Qc,NH,ME travel tips.

We will definitely have to check out the Parc de la Gorge and forst alumina. .. that sounds great. Thanks for the recommendation.
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Iron Pots the 1990 Vanagon Reply with quote

One success and one failure today...

First the failure: I plugged an extension cord into the electric hookup to test out the fridge but got a little overzealous making sure it was in tight enough and cracked the hook-up box. I might try crazy glue but I think I'll probably need to order one of these now.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.gowesty.com/images/ec/products/large/large_99d02fcc1f675f9e53a37b6084883c1d.jpg

Now for the success: I knew we had a few boxes of bamboo flooring in the garage so Iron Pots now has bamboo floors. It only took one box and was ridiculously easy to do. I laid them right on top of the grey rubber mat that was under the old carpet. Didn't move any of the cabinetry or anything though I did have to move the fire extinguisher holder up a little after I was done. Looks so much better than either of those did. The metal strip on the edge was over the rubber mat before so I just repurposed it.

This saw, a table saw to rip the edge of one board, and the box of flooring was all it took. It probably would have been easier to use something else for the two little notches I had to cut but I made do with some creative sawing.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Iron Pots the 1990 Vanagon Reply with quote

Outstanding, Red Team Leader.

Maybe a heavy blanket under that car seat to prevent tearing the seat upholstrey?

Every guy on Samba is in awe of Ms IronPots using a chop saw in snow, trust me on this. I would share a picture of Mrs Dr Abscate on our roof with an air nail gun, but I don't have permission yet.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Iron Pots the 1990 Vanagon Reply with quote

katstan wrote:
I think I'll probably need to order one of these now.

Do yourself a favor and just get the whole hookup set. (Personal, biased opinion, of course. Very Happy )
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Iron Pots the 1990 Vanagon Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Outstanding, Red Team Leader.

Maybe a heavy blanket under that car seat to prevent tearing the seat upholstrey?

Good idea.
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Iron Pots the 1990 Vanagon Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
katstan wrote:
I think I'll probably need to order one of these now.

Do yourself a favor and just get the whole hookup set. (Personal, biased opinion, of course. Very Happy )

How come?

We now have a full working kitchen in Iron Pots. I got the fridge running on propane yesterday. It felt like a small miracle when it actually worked. I also decided to test out the sink this morning. I put a few gallons of water and some bleach in the tank to clean it out and then turned on the faucet. Nothing happened. Then I wiggled the wires over the tank and the pump came on. We have water!

My new water lines should be here soon. The old ones are so black and funky even bleach won't be enough so I'll install those and a new stereo this weekend. UPS brought the stereo and the 2" memory foam topper this morning.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_104460BRGB/Boss-460B...ug=9004075

Can't wait for our first camping adventure in T-11 days. But who's counting?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: