Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel line replacement, check valves and limiting fire damage
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line replacement questions Reply with quote

Brilliant! Thank you Wildthings!
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line replacement questions Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
[...]
I have also gotten valves from some place in England (IIRC) that had 5/16 hose fitting on either end.

Excellent, thanks for the picture!

Probably one of these would work then - 8mm-5/16" non-return check valve or 6mm-1/4" non-return check valve? I guess either of them would fit with the 7 mm hose (plus clamps) from the Germansupply kit.

Pierburg, who if I'm not mistaken still make the original electric fuel pump for the FI buses offer a 6mm non-return valve too, which I'd be tempted to use. Here is also a reduced version of the datasheet.

Its opening pressure seems to be 0.15–0.25 bar (2.2–3.6 psi), which I guess should be low enough to let the fuel go through in the one direction.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've seen the 8mm version installed behind the fuel pump on a thread on the German forum:

Where exactly in the line did you install the valve in your setup?

Thanks.

Last edited by furgo on Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:24 am; edited 2 times in total
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line replacement questions Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
BUSBOSS wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Adding a marine antisiphon valve (spring loaded check valve) to the return line at the tank will reduce the risk of a catastrophic fire. Make sure to install the valve correctly for the flow direction.

Do you have a picture of your install? Curious to see what it looks like.

Here you go, this valve is in the return line of my 83 1/2 Vanagon, the principle is the same as for a FI Bay. In case of an engine fire, fuel can not flow from the tank into the engine compartment via the return line. The valve I used here had 1/4" NPT male pipe fittings on each end and thus required adapters for it to be used with 5/16 rubber fuel line.

The valve I used was very similar to this one but not made from brass.

http://www.marineengineparts.com/midland-metals-46520-1-4-mip-x-1-4-mip-anti-siphon-valve.html

I have also gotten valves from some place in England (IIRC) that had 5/16 hose fitting on either end.

Thank you.
(sold - but not forgotten)
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line replacement questions Reply with quote

Would then the installation with the non-return valve look like something like this?

And to make sure I understand the operation with the valve allowing flow only in one direction, where would fuel be in each one of these situations?

That is, which lines/parts would be full or empty of fuel at which times?

Last but not least, reading up a bit on the fuel pump, I've noticed that the electric pump already has a check valve built in. Would that not make an external check valve redundant?

Thanks.

Last edited by furgo on Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line replacement questions Reply with quote

The lines are full of fuel at all times. The lines from the pump to the regulator even have pressure at all times

The object of the added check valve in the return is to prevent fuel from flowing backwards out of the tank towards the engine once an engine fire has started and the hoses, particularly the return line from the regulator to the tank, have been compromised.

It would actually not be a bad idea to have a marine anti-siphon valve in both the supply and return lines located as close to the tank outlet and return fittings as reasonably possible, note that a MA-S valve would function somewhat differently in the supply than in the return. If a fire starts, say by the CSV spraying fuel at the distributor you want the fuel supply to stop totally once you turn the key off or the engine otherwise dies. If the fire has compromised the fuel lines then with a stock setup there is not way to stop the flow and you get a fire that is pretty much uncontrollable which quickly engulfs the entire vehicle.
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line replacement questions Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the answers.

So a couple of points to make sure I got it right:

Wildthings wrote:
The object of the added check valve in the return is to prevent fuel from flowing backwards out of the tank towards the engine once an engine fire has started and the hoses, particularly the return line from the regulator to the tank, have been compromised.

In that case, and assuming that either the fuel pump already has an integrated check valve to cover the supply line or that we're only installing one check valve, would it not be more sensible to put it in the return line instead, similarly to your other suggestion of using two valves?

That is, the valve would go behind the pressure regulator, outside of the engine compartment. Although I'm not sure how feasible it'd be to install it there, given the metal pipe that goes to the tank.

Wildthings wrote:
It would actually not be a bad idea to have a marine anti-siphon valve in both the supply and return lines located as close to the tank outlet and return fittings as reasonably possible, note that a MA-S valve would function somewhat differently in the supply than in the return.

So you are effectively saying that one check valve would not be enough and at least two would be needed to provide some degree of controllability once a fire has started?

Also, you explicitly refer to marine anti-siphon valves. Is there a particular difference between them and automotive ones?

Interesting discussion. Thanks!
foxmon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line replacement questions and non-return valves Reply with quote

There are additional hoses, line and filter for the BA6 heater, if you are lucky enough to have one.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line replacement questions Reply with quote

furgo wrote:
Thanks a lot for the answers.

So a couple of points to make sure I got it right:

Wildthings wrote:

In that case, and assuming that either the fuel pump already has an integrated check valve to cover the supply line or that we're only installing one check valve, would it not be more sensible to put it in the return line instead, similarly to your other suggestion of using two valves?

That is, the valve would go behind the pressure regulator, outside of the engine compartment. Although I'm not sure how feasible it'd be to install it there, given the metal pipe that goes to the tank.

Wildthings wrote:
It would actually not be a bad idea to have a marine anti-siphon valve in both the supply and return lines located as close to the tank outlet and return fittings as reasonably possible, note that a MA-S valve would function somewhat differently in the supply than in the return.

So you are effectively saying that one check valve would not be enough and at least two would be needed to provide some degree of controllability once a fire has started?

Also, you explicitly refer to marine anti-siphon valves. Is there a particular difference between them and automotive ones?

Interesting discussion. Thanks!

A MA-S valve in the supply line at the tank is going to protect the hoses from there to the engine including the fuel pump. The design function of the OEM check valve is different from the function of the MA-S valve. The original check valve is there to hold pressure in the system, while the added valve is to prevent draining of the tank once the hoses are compromised. The fuel pump should pretty much stop the flow of fuel once its power is cut off, but we know these things burn savagely once a fire starts and without doing a lot of experimenting it is impossible to know the progression of steps once the fire takes hold. Outside of converting the tanks to an internal pump setup with a top outlet and return added MA-S valves near the outlet and return fittings is the best idea I can come up with to prevent catastrophic fire.

The added valve in the return just functions as a check valve.

What we know with these rigs is that once an engine fire gets started it is very hard to put and and if not extinguished very quickly it will be pretty much uncontrollable.

Ideally one would want to protest the hoses between the inlet and outlet of the tank and the MA-S valves and the MA-S valves themselves from fire. Maybe a rockwood blanket somehow, I await for others to come up with an idea here.
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line replacement questions and non-return valves Reply with quote

I have my check valve installed on the return line right before the nipple on the tank. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0169LE31K/

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line replacement questions and non-return valves Reply with quote

BayCreamPuff wrote:
I have my check valve installed on the return line right before the nipple on the tank. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0169LE31K/

Nicely done. Wink

Your picture reminds me of my long tern desire to slap the VW engineer(s) who located the outlet and return of the fuel tank directly above starter with its potential to create sparks and start a fire.
Iain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line replacement questions and non-return valves Reply with quote

furgo wrote:

Evaporative system line

Some questions:
• Looking at the diagram, I guess all except for the two "24" hoses marked in green and the two blue ones connecting directly to (above) the tank can be replaced with the engine and the firewall in place?
• In general, I haven't been able to find that much information on replacing this line. Is this something that folks either don't consider critical (vs. replacing the main line, which certainly is) and tend to "leave for later"?
• Do the yellow tubes tend to be replaced too?.

Don't spent too much time hunting for the hose blue #24 between 10 &12, I've never seen that in any bus, possibly a US only part.
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line replacement questions and non-return valves Reply with quote

Iain wrote:
Don't spent too much time hunting for the hose blue #24 between 10 &12, I've never seen that in any bus, possibly a US only part.

Thanks for the tip. This is a US reimport to Europe, so it might be there. I'll go and check later on and report back.

Cheers.
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line replacement questions and non-return valves Reply with quote

Trying to summarize the thread regarding check valves, the suggestions are:

• Add a check valve near the tank inlet on the return line
• Add a check valve near the tank outlet on the supply line

The installation would look like this:

Return line

The purpose of the check valve on the return line would be to avoid gravity-fed fuel to flow from tank to engine during a fire.

If it is to be installed near the tank outlet (on a '78-'79 bus at least), a length of the metal pipe between fuel pressure regulator and tank inlet would probably need to be cut off to allow for the extra length of hoses and return check valve.

BayCreamPuff, is this what you had to do on your installation?

Supply line

The fuel pump already has a built-in check valve to keep the system pressurized when the engine is not running. In theory, it would keep the fuel from siphoning back to the tank, but if it gets compromised in a fire, an additional check valve on the line would add an extra barrier to stop the fuel flowing to the tank.

However, I've got two questions on this:

• In case of a fire, as the tank sits above the engine level, there is no way to stop gravity-fed fuel to flow towards the engine, is there? Or would the fuel flow get stopped before the pump given that from then on it'd have to flow upwards and it could not be pumped with the fuel pump off?
• Which situation could actually cause the fuel to flow back to the tank on the supply line?

Thanks.
bbrowncods
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line replacement, check valves and limiting fire damage Reply with quote

• In case of a fire, as the tank sits above the engine level, there is no way to stop gravity-fed fuel to flow towards the engine, is there?
If you had a check valve on the supply side with the added feature of being spring loaded to prevent flow that is set above the head pressure of a full tank (1-2 psia maybe?).
Or would the fuel flow get stopped before the pump given that from then on it'd have to flow upwards and it could not be pumped with the fuel pump off? Depends on where the rupture in the line is (before or after the pump).

• Which situation could actually cause the fuel to flow back to the tank on the supply line?
Other than the pump running, there is no way fuel would go back to the tank. It all depends on where the breach in the line is as to whether a check valve will help, and if the pump is running or off.

Last edited by bbrowncods on Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line replacement questions and non-return valves Reply with quote

furgo wrote:

• In case of a fire, as the tank sits above the engine level, there is no way to stop gravity-fed fuel to flow towards the engine, is there? Or would the fuel flow get stopped before the pump given that from then on it'd have to flow upwards and it could not be pumped with the fuel pump off?

Thanks.

The Marine anti-siphon valve is a spring loaded check valve, it is the spring loaded function of the valve which would stop the gravity flow through the supply line. The spring loaded function allows it to act like a pressure regulator maintaining just enough pressure on the outlet of the tank to prevent gravity flow.

Thanks to SG Kent for the link:

furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line replacement, check valves and limiting fire damage Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarifications, so to recap the "check valves at tank inlet/outlet ports" suggestions again:

Supply line check valve:
    Purpose: stop gravity-fed flow in the forward direction from the tank
    Requirements: spring-loaded check valve with specified cracking pressure (*) higher than upstream pressure from the tank inlet to valve when the fuel pump is off and the tank is full, but low enough so that the fuel pump can provide enough suction to open it.

Return line check valve:
    Purpose: stop gravity-fed flow in the backward direction from the tank
    Requirements: check valve with a specified backflow pressure higher than upstream pressure from the tank outlet to valve when the tank is full.

That's sparked a couple of other questions:
    • Does anyone have experience with installing the check valve on the supply line? If so, what was the minimum cracking pressure you took?
    • Might such a valve at the suction end of the pump affect its operation due to the added pressure drop?

(*) The minimum upstream pressure required to operate (i.e. open) the valve in the flow direction (note for those, who as myself, hadn't been exposed to check valves before).

Last edited by furgo on Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line replacement, check valves and limiting fire damage Reply with quote

furgo wrote:

Return line check valve:
    Requirements: check valve with a specified backflow pressure higher than upstream pressure from the tank outlet to valve when the tank is full.

The return line check valve just functions as a check valve. The spring function just helps guaranties that it shuts. Once shut the static pressure of the fuel in the tank will hold it shut.

Quote:
That's sparked a couple of other questions:
    • Does anyone have experience with installing the check valve on the supply line? If so, what was the minimum cracking pressure you took?

I set up a system for a piece of off road equipment almost four decades back now. Don't remember much about it excepting it seemed to work. Didn't know about the Marine Anti-Siphon valve at the time.

Quote:
• Might such a valve at the suction end of the pump affect its operation due to the added pressure drop?

I haven't tested this but I would suspect that you might see a pound or so increase in the fuel pressure. I noticed zero difference in the operation of the WBXer engine in my Vanagon when I added the MA-S valve to the return, that engine has an O2 sensor though so the mixture wouldn't change at all in normal operation, just at idle and full throttle, but I noticed no change there either.

furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line replacement, check valves and limiting fire damage Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers.

Wildthings wrote:
furgo wrote:

Return line check valve:

The return line check valve just functions as a check valve. The spring function just helps guaranties that it shuts. Once shut the static pressure of the fuel in the tank will hold it shut.

Indeed, that's what I meant with that comment. I didn't explicitly mention spring-loaded there, as I'd guess on the return a simple check valve would do. But for added reliability one might as well just get a spring-loaded one.

Wildthings wrote:
I set up a system for a piece of off road equipment almost four decades back now. Don't remember much about it excepting it seemed to work. Didn't know about the Marine Anti-Siphon valve at the time.

That brings me to an earlier question: what's the difference between a marine anti-siphon valve and a spring-loaded check valve?
Dogo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line replacement, check valves and limiting fire damage Reply with quote

Great thread. Very interested in this topic as I'm paranoid about my bus catching fire. Unfortunately I'm ignorant when it comes to this stuff.

A couple of questions.
Would this work equally as well in a non FI, upright engine situation with no fuel return?

Would this effectively work as well as a cut off solenoid valve?

Does the vent canister placement -and it's hoses- in the engine bay compromise the chances of fire (relocating it a good idea?)?

Thanks in advance
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line replacement, check valves and limiting fire damage Reply with quote

furgo wrote:

That brings me to an earlier question: what's the difference between a marine anti-siphon valve and a spring-loaded check valve?

A MA-S is a spring loaded check valve. SLCV 's are available in many different cracking pressures, a MA-S is just a SLCV with a cracking pressure of around 1 PSI.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: