Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fan is rubbing against the inner shroud. Need help
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jessedavis528
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Fan is rubbing against the inner shroud. Need help Reply with quote

On my recent build the fan keeps rubbing on the inner fan shroud. This is my set up. I have taken it apart and put it back together multiple times and I can't figure out what's wrong. I know that the bolts on the pump are not touching the shroud and I know that the shroud is bolted to the case.i know that when I first put the fan on and tighten to 25 ft pounds that it doesn't grind but as soon as it hits 30 it grinds. The pictures are of the motor curious if it is because I'm no longer using the tower if that is the issue. Thoughts? Thanks for your time

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

glutenfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan is rubbing against the inner shroud. Need help Reply with quote

I am building up my 1835 Type 3 engine and I noticed there a good amount of flex on the fan housing when bolted in place. Seeing how you deleted/omitted the factory breather mount (tower) I would place my money on that being the issue since the fan housing front half is not being "pulled" into proper position.

Does the fan rub on both halves?
my Shapeways store
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan is rubbing against the inner shroud. Need help Reply with quote

Do you have a spacer and paper gasket behind the fan and the crank?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jessedavis528
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Fan is rubbing against the inner shroud. Need help Reply with quote

Im guessing that's my issue, my last one didn't have the spacer so I'm betting that's it

notchboy wrote:
Do you have a spacer and paper gasket behind the fan and the crank?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Fan is rubbing against the inner shroud. Need help Reply with quote

Ive had them with and without. Id guess the tolerances must vary.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fan is rubbing against the inner shroud. Need help Reply with quote

jessedavis528 wrote:
On my recent build the fan keeps rubbing on the inner fan shroud. This is my set up. I have taken it apart and put it back together multiple times and I can't figure out what's wrong. I know that the bolts on the pump are not touching the shroud and I know that the shroud is bolted to the case.i know that when I first put the fan on and tighten to 25 ft pounds that it doesn't grind but as soon as it hits 30 it grinds. The pictures are of the motor curious if it is because I'm no longer using the tower if that is the issue. Thoughts? Thanks for your time

Is the large fan hitting, or the small one? If it's the large one, then you need to find out what's causing it to push out (toward the big fan). I only say that as the fan bolt needs to be torqued up to 98-105 ftlbs, or it WILL come loose. If it's the small one, then it might be missing the shim and paper gasket that Jason was talking about.
If you can, get some pics from the side between the case and the back of the shroud, as that might help us determine where your problem lies.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Variant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Fan is rubbing against the inner shroud. Need help Reply with quote

The issue is most probably due to the fact that you are not using the original crankcase breather. The fan housing attaches to that with three bolts. It needs that support since the weight of the generator as well as the tension of the drive belt will cause the fan housing to tilt rearwards if it was only held in place by the two 6mm bolts either side of the crankshaft. These fan housings are very fragile and do not appreciate any significant bending stress imposed on them. Unless properly supported, they will crack & come apart very quickly.
jessedavis528
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Fan is rubbing against the inner shroud. Need help Reply with quote

You would be correct i just figured it out last night, when i was working on it. i put the original breather tower back on and it worked no issues. Thanks every one

Variant wrote:
The issue is most probably due to the fact that you are not using the original crankcase breather. The fan housing attaches to that with three bolts. It needs that support since the weight of the generator as well as the tension of the drive belt will cause the fan housing to tilt rearwards if it was only held in place by the two 6mm bolts either side of the crankshaft. These fan housings are very fragile and do not appreciate any significant bending stress imposed on them. Unless properly supported, they will crack & come apart very quickly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: