Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 - Number of seat rail stop "clips"/"tangs" per side?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mtinie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: 1974 - Number of seat rail stop "clips"/"tangs" per side? Reply with quote

When replacing a KG's seat rails with reproductions, the kits purchased from the major vendors are sold with "inner" and "outer" versions. Only the outer rail kits come with the small, u-shaped seat stop clip. This piece is not sold individually, only as part of the kit. If going solely by this measure, it would be logical to assume that the stop is only needs to be welded to the outside rail...

...however, the inner rail ALSO has a set of holes in the same place and of the same size as the ones on the outer rail. This may cause a person to draw a separate conclusion that each seat, in fact, needs not one but two seat stop clips to be welded into place for proper seat installation.

My searches through the forum for a definitive understanding of how this assembly works, so far, have been inconclusive. I've seen it mentioned that in some cases it was one stop clip, in others, two. This may be model year related.

Could someone with a pair of working and adjustable '74 seats installed in their car please chime in with an description of how many seat stop clips are required on each seat?

If the answer is "two clips per seat", where can I find individually available stops? I find it hard to believe that this would need to be personally fabricated but given the lack of individually available reproduction seat stop clips, I'm at a loss.

I've posted a classified ad to buy two of them but so far no luck. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2035806

Thank you!
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 - Number of seat rail stop "clips"/"tangs" per side? Reply with quote

This picture is brought to you by Samba user "74GhiaConvertible."
It looks like he/she resurrected the OE seat rails.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We're all in this together,
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 - Number of seat rail stop "clips"/"tangs" per side? Reply with quote

I would like to know the answer to this question also. I have replacement seat tracks and not sure where that small piece goes. I did call the vendor I purchased from, waiting for a call back.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 - Number of seat rail stop "clips"/"tangs" per side? Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
I would like to know the answer to this question also...

After reading your reply I got curious and dug out my OE seats and rails. Here is what I found:
1970 Convertible Ghia
Seats: Each seat has to hinged catch plates, one for each rail.
Rails: Driver and passenger rails each have 2 sets of spikes, exactly as illustrated above in the picture from "74GhiaConvertible."

C21darrel wrote:
'69 Model Year (Ch# 149 000 001 thru 149 1200 000) August '68 thru July '69...

* Seat back first uses a stalk mounted head rest, unique in VW empire to Ghia. ('68 head rest grows, pimple-like, from seat back cushions.) (To end)

This exerpt was taken from the thread Decision tree for identifying Ghia year.
I interpret this as "seat design did not change from MY 1969 - end of production."
This information is not an authoritative answer but points solidly to seat rails each having a set of seat retaining spikes for a total of four per car.

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mtinie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 - Number of seat rail stop "clips"/"tangs" per side? Reply with quote

That's good enough for me!

If I've learned anything while restoring our Ghia, it has been that there is a massive market for on-demand NOS-grade part creation. I've made it my new mission in life to figure out how I can economically create 3D build / CNC mill processes that can make the lives of our fellow restorers less dependent on the two or three sources for parts (that are typically out of stock...)
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 - Number of seat rail stop "clips"/"tangs" per side? Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:
CiderGuy wrote:
I would like to know the answer to this question also...

After reading your reply I got curious and dug out my OE seats and rails. Here is what I found:
1970 Convertible Ghia
Seats: Each seat has to hinged catch plates, one for each rail.
Rails: Driver and passenger rails each have 2 sets of spikes, exactly as illustrated above in the picture from "74GhiaConvertible."

C21darrel wrote:
'69 Model Year (Ch# 149 000 001 thru 149 1200 000) August '68 thru July '69...

* Seat back first uses a stalk mounted head rest, unique in VW empire to Ghia. ('68 head rest grows, pimple-like, from seat back cushions.) (To end)

This exerpt was taken from the thread Decision tree for identifying Ghia year.
I interpret this as "seat design did not change from MY 1969 - end of production."
This information is not an authoritative answer but points solidly to seat rails each having a set of seat retaining spikes for a total of four per car.

I tried to reply to this thread 3 times last night, either the site or I was having some major issues. Anyway the replacement seat tracks are different animal then the OE track. They look different, don't require the cross bar, and use one clip per seat. Where I'm still not exactly sure. I hope someone can settle this.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: