Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where to get my bus painted
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Breadbox71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Where to get my bus painted Reply with quote

Im going to get my bus(1971) painted soon but I live in the silicon valley and I hear to get my bus painted it would cost a lot more than somewhere like Nevada.

I was wondering if that was true and if there is anywhere that does a quality paint job for a fair price, and if it is where would a good place be?
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Where to get my bus painted Reply with quote

Have Dave Kindig do it and it'll be worth a quarter million dollars.
ateneo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Where to get my bus painted Reply with quote

Breadbox71 wrote:
quality paint job for a fair price, and if it is where would a good place be?

Different levels of quality have corresponding price levels also. A Concours D'Elegance quality paint and a decent paint are oceans apart in quality and cost. It will all depend on your quality goals and budget.

I am restoring a 1971 Westy and my pockets lack depth when it comes to funding my restoration project. Since my goal is to just bring my Westy to functional condition, I am going to paint the parts of the exterior with just enough white paint to make it decent. I will just work with the budget that I have because the wife only allows me to have that budget. Smile
1971 Deluxe bus
1969 Bus
1962 Bug
1963 Bug
"Rust free" means Rust is FREE. The rest is junk.
Breadbox71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Where to get my bus painted Reply with quote

ateneo wrote:
Breadbox71 wrote:
quality paint job for a fair price, and if it is where would a good place be?

Different levels of quality have corresponding price levels also. A Concours D'Elegance quality paint and a decent paint are oceans apart in quality and cost. It will all depend on your quality goals and budget.

I am restoring a 1971 Westy and my pockets lack depth when it comes to funding my restoration project. Since my goal is to just bring my Westy to functional condition, I am going to paint the parts of the exterior with just enough white paint to make it decent. I will just work with the budget that I have because the wife only allows me to have that budget. Smile

I'm not looking for a full restoration paint job but one that will keep rust away and look good and I'm only going to paint the exterior. We got quoted at Macco for 6000 but i heard body shops in Nevada will have cheaper paint jobs
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get my bus painted Reply with quote

It must be pretty bad off if Macco quoted $6000? All body shops are quoting $2-4000 minimum these days I think.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Breadbox71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get my bus painted Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
It must be pretty bad off if Macco quoted $6000? All body shops are quoting $2-4000 minimum these days I think.

Honestly my bus isn't in the best condition but I was hoping if we went to somewhere were rent isn't insane it would lower the price.
ateneo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Where to get my bus painted Reply with quote

Breadbox71 wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

Honestly my bus isn't in the best condition but I was hoping if we went to somewhere were rent isn't insane it would lower the price.

It is true that if you bring your bus to other states then the cost of painting it would be lower. I met a few guys who have taken their buses to Tijuana Mexico and got a good deal on a paint job of their bus.

Why don't you just find an independent car painter (preferably a painter that has a paint work contract with a car dealership) and hire him to paint your bus. Then rent a paint booth for a day or two. Car paint supply stores can refer you to paint booth owners who are willing to rent out their booths. This would save you a lot of money. One of my friends have done this and it saved them $$$. The only thing there is you need to find a good painter.
1971 Deluxe bus
1969 Bus
1962 Bug
1963 Bug
Breadbox71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Where to get my bus painted Reply with quote

ateneo wrote:
Breadbox71 wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

It is true that if you bring your bus to other states then the cost of painting it would be lower. I met a few guys who have taken their buses to Tijuana Mexico and got a good deal on a paint job of their bus.

Why don't you just find an independent car painter (preferably a painter that has a paint work contract with a car dealership) and hire him to paint your bus. Then rent a paint booth for a day or two. Car paint supply stores can refer you to paint booth owners who are willing to rent out their booths. This would save you a lot of money. One of my friends have done this and it saved them $$$. The only thing there is you need to find a good painter.

That actually sounds great, Macco quoted me 6000 but that didn't even include the cost to take out all the windows and etc, one place said 15 grand. Also now i'm afraid to get my bus painted far away because I hear those horror stories of people doing a half-ass job to replacing the engine with a lower quality one. How do you get in contact with Independant painters?
ateneo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get my bus painted Reply with quote

Breadbox71 wrote:
How do you get in contact with Independant painters?

You will need to ask around. The first place I would go is a paint supply store because they know many independent auto painters. Another source is your local vintage vehicle clubs. If you know people working at auto dealers then ask them to introduce you to their auto body painters. Some (not all) will be willing to do a side job at very affordable prices. I personally was able to hook up with a very good auto painter who works for a Japanese dealership and he did a quick paint job for a 2-year old vehicle at a very affordable price. That was a few years back though and that guy already moved back to his home state.
1971 Deluxe bus
1969 Bus
1962 Bug
1963 Bug
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Where to get my bus painted Reply with quote

When you find the right shop/painter, tell them you will remove all the windows, rubber, chrome and such. This should lower the cost and it's something you can do yourself.

Just leave the windshield in if you're gonna drive it to the shop Razz
Breadbox71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get my bus painted Reply with quote

Thanks, That sounds like a way better option than dropping 6 grand just to get it painted
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Where to get my bus painted Reply with quote

Dude you need to drive on down to Tijuana and get that thing tucked and rolled. Better deals south of the border.
75bus75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get my bus painted Reply with quote

I am in the same boat - Looking to paint my bus in the Bay Area.
Looking for recommendations from folks in the area.

In the mean time Have take it to a mid level restoration shop quoted $8 - $12K
Macco - Quoted 3K

Am also going to ping a few independent shops called out on Yelp with high ratings to see if they are willing to take this project on.

Most body/paint shops are either not interested in taking on this project or quote a starting price of 8K

The project is 3 - 4 months away but sure would like to get recommendations on local shops in the bay area.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Where to get my bus painted Reply with quote

My local body shop refused to consider painting my bus that I had prepped, even though they had never seen it because if I did a poor job it would reflect on their business. I tried to explain the type of work I did but they weren't interested. I wasn't interested in having them do the prep as I was not interested in paying for the bondo cocoon they would charge me for to slather on my bus....I have seen their work...
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get my bus painted Reply with quote

here is some more "hear say" "3rd party" "saw it on the web so must be true" absolutely Shocked Shocked FREE advice.

Do it your self- You can get a wagner "dri"/ electric" power sprayer and -- after an hour fuckin with it, will do a fine job. - non epoxy- paint job.

I paid 4 thou for a "pro" to do the white bus and it took months-- (They treated it like a hobby job) instead of like a car wreck -- which were in and out of that shop in less than a week-- Any one else???? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Then some thing went wrong under one of the windows.

Compared to others- I got off cheap-

The Mex idea has merit, but according to the You tube vid saw- don't ask your painter to fabricate anything- Apparently- the guy doing the painting was a master , but couldn't weld to save his ass.

Would go to YouT and search "Mex painting cars"

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Carlini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Where to get my bus painted Reply with quote

Ok, so WHERE in Tijuana can one get an '89 Vanagon painted at a reasonable price? I'm retired and on a fixed income.
And what kind of paint job can I expect?
Thanks very much, LC in OC
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get my bus painted Reply with quote

Search for 'Tijuana paint jobs' yielded 29 matches to read/research. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey

Last edited by Mike Fisher on Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Carlini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get my bus painted Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike. Will do.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: