Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 FI Hot Start Relay Install Questions (with Diagrams)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
clicknathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: 1978 FI Hot Start Relay Install Questions (with Diagrams) Reply with quote

Hi again!

So I'm installing the hot start relay I got from Bus Depot. https://www.busdepot.com/WR1

I'm doing this because after 2 hours of driving or so, when things are hot, I can't start the old girl.

While doing research, I came across this page on Ratwell: http://www.ratwell.com/technical/EssentialUpgrades.html#hotstart
The picture on the right there, I've got one of those, and a ton of wires going to my solenoid. Mine doesn't look exactly like the one in the picture, but the metal & plastic part at the top is similar. The wires coming out are much simpler and older.

Here's a photo of what I'm assuming is an old hot start relay. Kind of crappy, but it does look quite similar to the pic in Ratwell's site above. Mine says "made in Spain" but I couldn't find a part number, though I didn't take it out yet.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now, here's what I'm dealing with:

My questions are, from this little diagram:

1. Is that device above an old hot start relay, and can I safely remove it and every wire involved in it?

2. Looking at where I have two wires near the top labeled IRWt (Ignition Red & White Wire thin) and IR (ignition red), am I correct that these are going to the ignition?

3. The instructions that came with the hot start relay (see below) state that the RED wire from the new hot start relay should go to "Spade Terminal on Solenoid". I've only got two (my old one had three). I'm thinking if I remove the old hot start relay (see question 1 above), then I'll have a free spade and can hook it up there.

4. Are my + & - markings correct on the solenoid in the picture (left of the starter). That is, the starter connects via the thick flat cable to the solenoid's negative screw on terminal, right?

5. Would the BROWN wire (which the instructions read should connect to "Starter Solenoid Red/Black Wire Ignition Switch") go to the + on the solenoid as shown in my diagram?

6. Which would be the same place the YELLOW goes to?

7. And the BLUE would go to the - terminal on the solenoid??? The instructions just say "Ground".

Here are the instructions:

More info on the current setup:

A. The wires currently listed as to + / Also to Bat+ in my photo all connect to the bolt I have labeled + on the solenoid (except the one marked "to 2" which connects to the spade at the top), as does the IR wire near the top of the pic.

B. Nothing but the starter connects to the place I have marked as - on the solenoid at the moment.

If this is correct, should the BLUE wire NOT connect to the terminal I have marked - on the solenoid?

Thanks in advance, just want to try and get this right as "testing" will probably take a good solid day's drive or possibly weeks because the no start when hot problem doesn't always happen, only when I'm in a really inconvenient and trafficky place where plenty of other motorists are trying to get home from work and not be bothered by some jerk in his 40 year old Bus. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clicknathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 FI Hot Start Relay Install Questions (with Diagrams) Reply with quote

Also, these are the connectors that came with the kit.

So given that only the big yellow one could fit on my solenoid round / bolt connectors and that there's a flat connector, I'm even a bit more confused.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 FI Hot Start Relay Install Questions (with Diagrams) Reply with quote

This is the way the harness came???

Looks like the red and yellow wires are much heavier than the blue and (unshown) brown. Thus, these must be the starter solenoid wires. The two lighter ones must be control wires for the relay.

If it were me, I'd rework the whole thing, doing this (note my wire colors and terminal designations differ from the official instructions):

- crimp a 1/4" female terminal to one end of all four wires. These terminals will connect to the relay somewhere.

- crimp a big ring terminal (that fits the battery stud on the starter) to the yellow wire. The other end of the yellow wire should go to relay terminal 30.

- crimp a female 1/4" blade terminal to the red wire. This wire connects relay terminal 87 to the solenoid terminal where the red/black harness wire was connected.

- crimp a 1/4" male terminal to the blue wire. This wire connects the free end of the red/black harness wire above to relay terminal 86. Be sure to insulate this free-floating junction!

- crimp the small ring terminal to the brown wire. This wire connects relay terminal 85 to a body ground somewhere (probably using the screw which mounts this new relay to the body).

-----

No idea what the device in the first picture is. Kinda looks like a voltage regulator or something. Unless it's wired up to the starter solenoid, it's not a "hot start" relay.

On your schematic above, the harness labeled "to ignition?" goes to the FI. The red wire is power to the FI; the red/white is the start signal to kick-start the fuel pump.

The harness labeled "also to bat+" comes from the front of the bus, and thus should contain the red/black wire from the ignition switch: probably the one going to "to 2". This is the wire which will drive the hot start relay coil. It should also contain a heavy red/white wire. This sends battery power to the fuse block.

-----

Here's the standard method of connecting to a Bosch relay (IGNORE wire colors; pay attention to the terminal numbers and their standard connection type):

In this case, "+12 volt coil drive" is from the ignition switch; "load" is the starter solenoid coil.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)

Last edited by telford dorr on Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 FI Hot Start Relay Install Questions (with Diagrams) Reply with quote

That looks like your voltage regulator in the first picture. Leave it alone.

Here is a thread that has good details on the hot start wiring. Most of the way down on the first page are schematics.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=404521&highlight=hot+start

But please make sure you use good wiring ends on your connections. Take a picture of the starter wiring before you start so you can always put it back on the way it was if you get lost.

I'll try and post a pic of mine later for you.

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 FI Hot Start Relay Install Questions (with Diagrams) Reply with quote

clicknathan wrote:
[...]
Here's a photo of what I'm assuming is an old hot start relay. Kind of crappy, but it does look quite similar to the pic in Ratwell's site above. Mine says "made in Spain" but I couldn't find a part number, though I didn't take it out yet.

[...]

1. Is that device above an old hot start relay, and can I safely remove it and every wire involved in it?

As Telford, I too would think that device is rather the voltage regulator, so I'd definitely not remove it.

To identify it for certain, you could diagnose it and measure voltages at its terminals, but you could perhaps work around it by either:

- Disconnecting the black connector at the bottom and inspecting it. While at it, you can clean up the cables a bit to recognize their colors –I had to do this on my bus too. If it is a 3-way connector that looks like the pictures below, it's most probably the regulator. Note the 3 wire colors (brown, red, green), plus the blue wire connected to the same terminal as red. Don't forget to connect it back once you've inspected it!

(As an aside, that second picture from ratwell.com shows both the voltage regulator (metal can on top) and the hot start relay (black plastic case at the bottom). They don't necessarily need to be next to each other, that's simply where he chose to install the relay.)

- Unscrewing the part from the firewall and looking up the (probably Bosch) part number on the back. That might tell you if it's a mechanical or solid-state voltage regulator. Not that this will help you with hot relay installation, but you might learn something new about your bus Smile

In doubt, I'd just leave it as it is, though. By taking things apart not related to your current project, you run the risk of breaking them, knocking other parts, etc, which might turn an afternoon job into days of diagnosing. In 40 years of bus history and unknown hacks, no one can tell you for certain without examining the bus, but that part certainly looks like the voltage regulator. I'd say leave it alone and don't let it distract you from the hot relay installation.

Good luck!
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 FI Hot Start Relay Install Questions (with Diagrams) Reply with quote

The wiring is simple really...

From underneath the bus

Remove the black striped red wire from the starter and attach it to the blue wire going to the relay.

Replace the black wire from the relay onto the open spade from step one.

Put the red wire with the ring terminal onto the lug of the starter where all other wiring is.

Take the yellow wire and ground it to the bus somewhere. Mine goes to the same ground as my battery ground near the FI computer

You can see all 3 wires at the starter in the first picture. The ring terminal with the yellow jacket, the fat black wire in the center and the blurry blue connection in the foreground. Thats it!

If you can as i have mine mounted, use a firewall screw to mount it high and dry in the engine bay. It helps keep the elements off it, ad well as easy access to it should i need to ever troubleshoot the relay or change the fuse.

As others have said, you should be solving one problem by actually covering up another. I would add to the list of maintenance items a starter and solenoid clean and lubriction. The starter gets heat soaked and if the solenoid is not greased you are just fighting heat expansion.

Followed by checking as much wiring as you can find. You already know there are hacks within the system, make sure nothing funny is going on under the dash near the ignition switch. The HSR alleviates the voltage travel on the system, but doesnt fix anything else.

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 FI Hot Start Relay Install Questions (with Diagrams) Reply with quote

Just re-read your instructions..... your wiring colors are associated differently than mine. You will have to use the relay numbers. I made mine from the diagram in the thread i linked up above. Specifically from this.....

Just dont want to confuse you and have you fry your wiring.

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 FI Hot Start Relay Install Questions (with Diagrams) Reply with quote

It is much cheaper to ...

Run a new wire from B+ to fuse box, putting in a quick disconnect switch on the way.

Run a new wire from Terminal 50 ignition switch to starter solenoid.

Two pieces of wire keep your wiring stock and simple, and protect you from fire too.

If you do worry about your ig switch contacts, you can wire in a push button starter bypass at the dash to handle this without rolling underneath.
clicknathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 FI Hot Start Relay Install Questions (with Diagrams) Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:
Just dont want to confuse you and have you fry your wiring.

Hah thanks! Smile

Your instructions are the simplest yet, and close to what I did.

#85 Brown wire to existing black/red striped ignition wire

#30 Yellow wire to "ring terminal onto the lug of the starter where all other wiring is" as you had described it.

#86 Blue ground I attached to the firewall, inside the engine compartment where the battery and another ground wire were already grounded

#87 Red wire to the available spade terminal that opened up when I hooked up #85 above

For those just joining the program here, and should this info prove useful, this is for the kit available via Bus Depot: https://www.busdepot.com/WR1

My only suggestion to those guys, or whoever actually makes this kit, would be to make the wires another 1.5 - 2x longer to make it easier to mount this inside of the engine without adding wire to make that possible.
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 FI Hot Start Relay Install Questions (with Diagrams) Reply with quote

Why is the blue a ground wire.
I always thought the brown wire was a ground colour.
I think the description of the blue and the brown wire is the wrong way round
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 FI Hot Start Relay Install Questions (with Diagrams) Reply with quote

GARRICK.CLARK wrote:
Why is the blue a ground wire.
I always thought the brown wire was a ground colour.
I think the description of the blue and the brown wire is the wrong way round

this thread is 3 years old.
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 FI Hot Start Relay Install Questions (with Diagrams) Reply with quote

Yes I no.
I'm gunna fit 1 tomorrow and was searching for info and found this. Doesn't matter how old it is really does it
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 FI Hot Start Relay Install Questions (with Diagrams) Reply with quote

GARRICK.CLARK wrote:
Yes I no.
I'm gunna fit 1 tomorrow and was searching for info and found this. Doesn't matter how old it is really does it

consider using the wiring diagram that came with yours. You know that it will not solve a starter problem if the solenoid needs cleaning or replacement.
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 FI Hot Start Relay Install Questions (with Diagrams) Reply with quote

I'll do that. The relay is just the 1st and cheapest option. It probably will be a rebuild of the starter that's needed.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 FI Hot Start Relay Install Questions (with Diagrams) Reply with quote

GARRICK.CLARK wrote:
I'll do that. The relay is just the 1st and cheapest option. It probably will be a rebuild of the starter that's needed.

I had this problem back in 1992. Cleaned and lubed the starter solenoid, which probably took $0.10 in materials and then had to redo it last year, for another $0.10 in materials. So at present that works out to $0.40 over my 32 years of owning my bus, a little over 1 cent per year. Also had to do it twice on my Vanagons in 600K+ miles of driving.
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 FI Hot Start Relay Install Questions (with Diagrams) Reply with quote

Well. I must have a bad relay.
Its wired as per diagram, engine starts on the key, but the starter keeps going. And keeps going with key turned off. Gotta get under it and pull a wire off the starter
Its wired
Yellow to starter/battery terminal
I've put 86 blue to ground
85 brown is the problem wire
87 red goes to the red and black wire on the solenoid
And as I said it turns and starts engine but keeps turning.

Last edited by GARRICK.CLARK on Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 FI Hot Start Relay Install Questions (with Diagrams) Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
GARRICK.CLARK wrote:

I had this problem back in 1992. Cleaned and lubed the starter solenoid, which probably took $0.10 in materials and then had to redo it last year, for another $0.10 in materials. So at present that works out to $0.40 over my 32 years of owning my bus, a little over 1 cent per year. Also had to do it twice on my Vanagons in 600K+ miles of driving.

I agree with Mike. Last time I did one the cost in time was about 1 hour. The ignition relay can be used to reduce wear on the ignition switch when the system is working 100% correctly but it then becomes another point of failure. My 1971 bus required lubing the solenoid about 4 to 6 times in half-million miles, and one ignition switch replacement. That was without a "hot-start" relay. Don't know if I would have added one. Some people add a push button and a Ford starter solenoid. Ours have the added duty of pushing the drive out. A Ford solenoid does not. They draw less current.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 FI Hot Start Relay Install Questions (with Diagrams) Reply with quote

GARRICK.CLARK wrote:
Its wired as per diagram, engine starts on the key, but the starter keeps going. And keeps going with key turned off. Gotta get under it and pull a wire off the starter
Its wired

IGNORE the colors of the wires in the following diagram.
Pay attention to the terminal numbers and the little graphic on the base of the relay:

1 - the relay coil is terminals 86 and 85. Generally, 85 goes to ground; 86 is positive (connects to the ignition switch).

2 - the relay contacts are 30 and 87. 30 goes to the battery and 87 supplied switched power to the load (in this case, the starter solenoid).

To install:
- disconnect the red/black wire from the starter solenoid and reconnect it to relay terminal 86. Be sure this floating connection is insulated.
- connect relay terminal 85 to ground.
- connect relay terminal 30 to the starter battery stud using a large ring terminal.
- connect relay terminal 87 to the now vacant terminal on the starter solenoid.

The wires on relay terminals 30 and 87 should be 10 gauge, as the starter solenoid initial current draw is 25 amps or better. The wires on terminals 85 and 86 can be 16 gauge, as the relay coil draws negligible current.

I don't recommend using a cube relay for this application, as the current draw of the starter solenoid is right at the upper limit of the relay's capability, and thus the relay contacts can stick closed.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)

Last edited by telford dorr on Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:42 am; edited 4 times in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 FI Hot Start Relay Install Questions (with Diagrams) Reply with quote

GARRICK.CLARK wrote:
Its wired

It is the easiest and safest to remove the ground cable(s) from the battery. Since I follow VW recommendations to use Vasoline on the battery posts and cable ends, mine never corrode on place. I snug the bolts on the cable ends up well, but never tight enough to where I can't grab a cable end and wrest it off the battery post without having to grab tools.

If you are scrambling to get the cable removed from the starter and accidentally hit a ground with the wrench, you might create some impressive pyrotechnics. You could also easily let the 12V+ cable touch something after it is removed as well.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 FI Hot Start Relay Install Questions (with Diagrams) Reply with quote

for the record I accidentally dropped a box end wrench once while working on a friend's car. It bounced between the starter hot and a metal fuel line. A small 1/2" wide fire started under the car where the oily debris the wrench knocked loose landed. I thought it was a grease fire and hit it with a rag. The rag instantly ignited into a larger flame. A nearby fire bottle put it all out. Unfortunately the spark had arced a pinhole in the metal fuel line where the fuel was dripping down and that is what had been burning, so the car had to be moved outside all night. I wrapped the pinhole as best I could to slow the leak but it took a trip to a wrecking yard the next day because the line that wrapped around the engine was NLA, and several hours of work to replace it once I found one on an engine at the wrecking yard. Since then I pretty much always remove one of the battery cables when working on something that requires a wrench or metal tool.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: