Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW BUS Heat
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
1978 December, 1971 dual port with factory heat exchangers working perfectly, 35 MPH in an ice and snow storm from Arkansas to almost the California border. Full heat diverted to the defrost and a book over the passenger side vent. Everyone wearing coats, ski hats, gloves, and dinner plate size clear spot in front of the driver to look straight forward - everything else fogged / iced up. Don't get your hopes up that your bus will be cozy warm in bad weather without an alternative heater.

How many people dumping 90F moist air into the bus with every breath? helps keep the windshield clear if you crack a window. Then add the heated seats and heated gloves Very Happy
PLF-Blue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Easy fix, move to California and forget the cold Very Happy

Whew, i dont know, man. Was pretty chilly this afternoon. I even took one of the ice cubes out of my rum and coke and almost put socks on with my sandals, despite the social faux pas!
Now where is my sun screen....
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
bsairhead wrote:
The difference is you got to drive the cold out of it.

Agreed, if you aren't making horsepower you aren't making heat, retarding the timing a little in the winter helps but when the temp drops below 32 degrees and you are in a rush the best answer I've found is this here magic knob:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For the decoded version of the above pic Cool Vintage Heat!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=614419

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PITApan wrote:
SGKent wrote:
1978 December, 1971 dual port with factory heat exchangers working perfectly, 35 MPH in an ice and snow storm from Arkansas to almost the California border. Full heat diverted to the defrost and a book over the passenger side vent. Everyone wearing coats, ski hats, gloves, and dinner plate size clear spot in front of the driver to look straight forward - everything else fogged / iced up. Don't get your hopes up that your bus will be cozy warm in bad weather without an alternative heater.

How many people dumping 90F moist air into the bus with every breath? helps keep the windshield clear if you crack a window.

Don't bother if you have a '72+ bus. The "flow-through" ventilation vents added to the doors take care of that for you. Remember that those vents are NOT part of the cool air system, they are OUTLETS for the heated air to flow IN. (See: Newton's Third Law.)

The flow-through vents work by utilizing the speeding air across the nose of the bus to create a vacuum effect in the gap between the front door and front clip. See those holes on the front of you 72+ door? When open, the in-cabin vent will let air out those holes, with a generous boost from the bow vacuum. The feature was ahead of its time for economy vehicles, and the VW bus in particular had the most well-hidden exit vents in automobile history.

Now you know!

Well, PITApan doesn't know because he blocked me. Rolling Eyes

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dana Champion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That green switch operates this.... Lights up when working... It's a beautiful thing.

My stale air heater cooks me out, but I live in So Cal

Saw a similar Westfalia ,'70, Eberspacher, in the classifieds for sale recently

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Quote:
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BUS Heat Reply with quote

Ive been wanting to post in a thread like this for awile.

As some of you know I had a new motor rebuilt a couple months back. With that I had the mechanic "fix" my stock heating system. At the time I had heat as promised and was actually pretty happy. Hot air blew out of the dash and at my feet. On a cold day it helped. My assist fan was fully functioning as well. I chalked it up to as good as it gets.

Well Stuart had to come over and start dinking around the bus. He found several problems left by the mechanic as well as things we could easily adjust, fix. At the top of the list were the plastic tubes between the body and HE. The ones I had given the mechanic to use had messed up collars at one end - so the fit wasnt the best. When I was under there myself last weekend plumbing in the gas line for the BN4 I changed them out with a nice set I had. The air flow doubled to the dash. Then I made sure I had the hoses on the assist fan sealed, clamps on the plastic bits. Now I have what I consider insane heat at my feet and dash.

I still could make some of the connections tighter but the improvement on the flow is so dramatic Im now getting fine sand particles blown on the dash from the HE. I had the HE sand blasted prior to paint Wink There is no way this stock working set up wont heat the cab and keep the windshield clear.

My point is when possible everyone should hook op the original set up and make sure it functions first. Before we look into buddies, eberspachers, stoves and fart fans - fix your rig up right with the stock application.

On a side note, I will still have a Eberspacher Cool More for sitting not driving. Always nice to have another stock back up Wink

Thanks to Stewy for his hard work yesterday and his excellent observations.

Link

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BUS Heat Reply with quote

I've tried it all over 30 years, gas heater or just give up and have a good quality ice scraper (VW part number 211-009-911 ) for the inside of the window and a 50/50 cotton/hemp cleaning cloth
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BUS Heat Reply with quote

Late March and we are already talking about heat? Isn't this a little early in the year for this discussion? It usually starts in October. Wink
foxmon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BUS Heat Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Late March and we are already talking about heat?
snowed all day here Sad
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BUS Heat Reply with quote

foxmon wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Late March and we are already talking about heat?
snowed all day here Sad

Snowed here last night. My heat was pretty good this morning at 25* and my oil temp never went over 140*. That's with OG stock HE, functioning flaps and proper hoses from HE to tubes. I also useed a Kats oil sump heater for about an hour. It sure does start nice at 25* with prewarmed oil. Wink

I read a post once, don't remember if it was SGKent, Busdaddy or Wildthings but it said. The heat will get better the longer you have the flaps open because of the tubes under the bus heating up. So, I open mine right away to push air through the tube from the get go.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: VW BUS Heat Reply with quote

I've gotta disagree on the stock heat. I've driven a bus, and only a bus, as my daily driver for almost 20 years now. I've literally done EVERYTHING to make the heat better from restoring heat exchangers to getting under the bus with a candle checking for air leaks to insulating the tubes. It has some fundamental problems which make it unacceptable for daily use in harsh winters.

1. It lets potentially harmful and very stinky gases come inside the car. The only way to fix this would be to pull air from inside the car to heat but the stock system doesn't allow it.

2. It steams up. When you drive through a puddle on a cold wet day your heater boxes get doused and water gets inside and sends a huge steam cloud inside the car obscuring the view out of every window.

3. It just doesn't get very hot on really cold days. There, I said it. For mildly cold weather it will get mildly warm. And a sealed system has great air flow, but it's just not hot enough to heat the entire inside of the bus on very cold days.

Since coming to these conclusions I have disconnected the stock heating and now run only a BA6 heater with a fan inside the car under the rear seat to feed the heater and its 1000 times better.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: VW BUS Heat Reply with quote

tootype2crazy wrote:
I've gotta disagree on the stock heat. I've driven a bus, and only a bus, as my daily driver for almost 20 years now. I've literally done EVERYTHING to make the heat better from restoring heat exchangers to getting under the bus with a candle checking for air leaks to insulating the tubes. It has some fundamental problems which make it unacceptable for daily use in harsh winters.

1. It lets potentially harmful and very stinky gases come inside the car. The only way to fix this would be to pull air from inside the car to heat but the stock system doesn't allow it.

2. It steams up. When you drive through a puddle on a cold wet day your heater boxes get doused and water gets inside and sends a huge steam cloud inside the car obscuring the view out of every window.

3. It just doesn't get very hot on really cold days. There, I said it. For mildly cold weather it will get mildly warm. And a sealed system has great air flow, but it's just not hot enough to heat the entire inside of the bus on very cold days.

Since coming to these conclusions I have disconnected the stock heating and now run only a BA6 heater with a fan inside the car under the rear seat to feed the heater and its 1000 times better.

Hey don't go popping my bubble man! Pointing out all the regular inherent VW heat problems and all. Rolling Eyes

Laughing

EDIT:

And as a little birdy just pointed out to me your heat would be even better with the stock set up running through it Laughing

Or atleast thats some of the consensus from the fume breathers Wink Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: VW BUS Heat Reply with quote

Driving I-5 south through southern Oregon last fall with temps around 30°F and with rain on top of 100% humidity I managed to melt my wiper blades and ended up with rubber smeared across the windshield. Go I get extra points for this?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: VW BUS Heat Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Driving I-5 south through southern Oregon last fall with temps around 30°F and with rain on top of 100% humidity I managed to melt my wiper blades and ended up with rubber smeared across the windshield. Go I get extra points for this?

Only if you are sure it wasnt that coffee and tabasco breath Wink Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: VW BUS Heat Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

You probably drove through a storm of methyl-Ethyl Ketone...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: