Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

High oil pressure in 2.1 WBX. Please help
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DurkNasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: High oil pressure in 2.1 WBX. Please help Reply with quote

I'm looking for some help with a high oil pressure problem. My van is running at 60 psi consistently. I have a gauge mounted in the cockpit. I verified this with a manual gauge mounted directly to oil pressure switch manifold in the engine bay. The van normally runs at 10-30 psi depending on rpm. I have taken the oil pressure regulator valve out of the van and cleaned it thoroughly. I also changed the oil and filter (again, this was done 150 miles ago).

A little history: I just got my van back from a respected mechanic. He put new heads, gaskets, and a few other parts on the van. (as well as oil change) 150 miles ago. It ran great for the 100 miles home from his shop. This started 2 days later.

1987 GL auto. Stock 2.1 WBX engine 96,000 miles

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
slobrewer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, what's the respected mechanic's response when you asked him about the oil pressure?
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would replace the oil pressure sensors before going further...
DurkNasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mechanic is on vacation till Monday. I asked his guy that I talked to to call him. They got back to me and told me to look at the oil pressure regulator. I did that. I'll have to wait till Monday to talk to him again.

I don't think the oil pressure sensors have anything to do with my problem. I am not getting any idiot lights or buzzers. The low pressure sensor is removed right now to install the manual gauge.
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of questions..60psi at road speed is not really alarming..what is the oil pressure hot (oil temp at least 180*F) at idle? The minimum spec from VW is 30psi at 2000rpm @ about 180*F..what pressure are you showing hot at 2000 rpm? Anything above 30psi is good..

What oil are you running? 20w50 would show a high number in Pittsburgh in cooler weather.

The oil pressure change a few days ago could be a battery voltage change too..my old VDO oil pressure gauge would change reading a lot with available voltage.

Last edited by AtlasShrugged on Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:58 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurkNasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's 60 psi at idle. Closer to 70 while driving. It was running at 10-30 psi on the way to a concert on Monday. When I started the van after the show, it jumped to 60+. There is something going on here.
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

30psi while driving..oil hot..at 2000rpm is the absolute minimum oil pressure..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurkNasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's 30 psi one minute and 60 the next, that is not normal.
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DurkNasty wrote:
If it's 30 psi one minute and 60 the next, that is not normal.

True enough..most of the time the old WBX engines go the other way.

You could change the oil and filter..a bum oil filter maybe. Use Malhe or Mann oil filters and a 15w40 or 5w40 engine oil and see what happens.
DurkNasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed the oil last night. It was also changed 150-200 miles ago when the heads were done. I wasn't sure what viscosity the mechanic used, so I redid it w 20w50 and a new filter just to be sure.
DurkNasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I changed the filter too.
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

20w50 is very thick stuff, don't think I would use it if my oil pressures were running at 60psi hot..I would use a HDEO 15w40..and be sure and use a German oil filter..Mann or Malhe..aftermarket oil filters are nothing but trouble on a WBX..don't know why..probably the 1950's oiling system we have in the engine.

What kind of oil filter was on the WBX when the oil pressures jumped up?
DurkNasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure it was Mann.
kduvey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Durk, I just want you to clarify because you havent mentioned anything about oil temperature:

You are talking about hot oil, right? By hot I mean run the motor at highway speeds for at least 20 min. AtlasShrugged has already clearly asked this.

Your coolant temp (temp gauge on dash) will heat up much faster than your oil temp. Get on the highway and drive 15-20 miles, then your oil will be hot.

60PSI (and even higher) at idle is completely normal for a cold motor. Get your oil to 200 degrees F then come back and tell us the pressure.

You mention you drove to a concert at 30psi (hot) and after the concert you started it (cold) and had 60psi. That sounds 100% normal and healthy.

when it comes to oil, a pressure reading is worthless without an indication of the oil temperature.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love it if someone would post a schematic of the WBXer lubrication system as I don't have my Bentley with me (is the WBXer diagram even in the Bentley?). Hard to trouble shoot this type of problem unless one is absolutely sure how the system is laid out.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found these in the Gallery. No reference to WBX or Air Cooled though. I would ask if you have any aftermarket pieces like an oil cooler? Hi oil pressure would be an indication of a restriction. The oil relief in the case can only by pass so much volume and I would expect the relief valve to be normally shut except on cold startups. Yes you went the wrong way in viscosity if you were trying to lower the pressure.

Worse case? The rod bearings are coming apart and have clogged the crank shaft oil ports. That should be obvious soon.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your coolant thermostat didn't stick open keeping the engine from heating up fully did it? That would cause a fairly sudden change in oil pressure.
cone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: High oil pressure in 2.1 WBX. Please help Reply with quote

Ok - I'm trying to understand the oiling system (flow) in the WBX 2.1 case.
I've found few schemas, but I'm not sure if they are for WBX cases, as most of them are titled Type 1, Type 3, Type 4, etc.

Below the schema which I've just made - please tell me if it's right or wrong - any remarks welcome Wink

cone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: High oil pressure in 2.1 WBX. Please help Reply with quote

As I'm changing my cam from OEM hydro on solid Engle W100 - I'm shifting from hydro cam followers on Solid cam followers (Engle 28 mm type 1 with bushings).

There seems to be an optimal oil flow problem in cam followers bores (in case) which feeds cylinder heads. As I'm shifting from hydro lifters (with better oil flow) to solid lifters - I wonder how to upgrade bushings to optimize the flow to the right head especially.

I'm not so happy to make a groove in brand new solid lifter (HVX mod) so maybe it would be good idea to ease oil flow to the heads in different way.

Of course I do understand opening the cam-bearings #2 gallery and drilling cam lifters bores oil galleries.

[/list][/list]
cone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: High oil pressure in 2.1 WBX. Please help Reply with quote

Some drawings of the cam lifter bushing oiling problems and possible solutions - some thoughts?

The problem of the solid double-groove type 1 lifter:

Idea to solve the problem:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: