Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who's got a wood floor?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got wood? Reply with quote

h00drat wrote:
Got my wood in.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Something to consider before installing plywood door panels is what will happen in a collision. Those beautiful panels will turn into nasty splinters which may become deadly to passengers.

Take a piece of the plywood and break it, then think about how it would feel to have those edges jammed into your side.

Another drawback to plywood panels is noise, the hard surfaces reflect sound. A better, safer choice is tempered hardboard with a vinyl or leather cover.
There is a reason automobile manufactures no longer use real wood except in very thin veneers and in limited locations.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got wood? Reply with quote

h00drat wrote:
Got my wood in.

Boy, I really like the look of that! I am a bit concerned of wood over some sort of fabric regarding noise, but damn, I like the look.

What type of wood and stain.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
86scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got wood? Reply with quote

I, too, have wood. It's very exciting. Noise level didn't change. I did an in and out layer of Reflectix behind every piece. One glued to the inside of the body panel (over sound deadener on flat panels) and one between the panels and the body, so big air gap between.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Borg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got wood? Reply with quote

That is pretty sweet. I will do something along those lines when I restart work on my van in a few weeks. (Trying to get my wooden sailboat back in the water before I pay another months rent on a slip while she sits in my shop.) I went with British Racing Green so putting the old blue/grey panels back just won't cut it.
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got wood? Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:

What type of wood and stain.

The wood is 3mm Birch Plywood. I stained it with a stain that I found that I thought would compliment the floors well. I can't remember what it was called. The floors are Hickory and Hickory stain was really hard to find.

Noise level isn't noticeably louder. I will use a double bubble insulation behind them at some point.
Engine Conversion Thread (2.0 ABA Swap)
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Auto Trans Rebuild - Image Gallery
chrisfreemanca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got wood? Reply with quote

katstan wrote:
You guys inspired me and I knew we had a few boxes of bamboo flooring in the garage so Iron Pots now has bamboo floors. It only took one box and was ridiculously easy to do. I laid them right on top of the grey rubber mat that was under the old carpet. Didn't move any of the cabinetry or anything though I did have to move the fire extinguisher holder up a little after I was done. Looks so much better than either of those did. The metal strip on the edge was over the rubber mat before so I just repurposed it.

My 87 has this same grey "rubber" flooring and was wondering if I could just go right over it and not fool with removing it. So you just pulled up the metal threshold strip, laid the wood down, and put the metal strip back on? Did you secure the wood to floor in any way?
MattyBUS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got wood? Reply with quote

Heres my new wood floor! Here is how i did it: one box of almost any flooring is enough because they are usually 25 to 35 sq ft per box. I used real hardwood and did not skimp on quality because its such a small space.

First i took everything out of the van and worked on typical rust areas. Then laid a simple vapor barrier (your factory rubber sounds fine). I chose not to use a subfloor for weight and it wasnt needed anyhow. Just lay the panels perpendicular to the body ribs for best support. I did not secure the floor other than by installing the cabinets over the floor. For the lip at the sliding door it was much higher than original carpet so i had to fabricate aluminum trim peice from 2 lengths of aluminum angle bolted together in Z pattern. I drilled self tappers through the base of the Z into the pre existing holes where original trim plate was. Looks great. Also adding some trim at the transition to the cab.

timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got wood? Reply with quote

So much nice wood!

Shortly after we got our van back in 2012, we used it to haul a load of crap from our garage to the local dump in Vancouver. While we were dropping our junk into the big junk bay, another fellow pulled up and started unloading some pergo flooring, and getting ready to dump it. Needless to say, we snagged it off of him before he could junk it. Took it home, cut it all to length, and installed it. Been our flooring ever since, through a bunch of adventures and seasons, and it still looks great, and cleans up easy.

We just laid it down over the carpet (which I assume is OEM – matches the grey interior, with a rubber backing), which sits on top of the van's rubber traction flooring and extra seat rails. Figured the carpet makes a nice underlayment, and gives a bit more sound insulation.

We didn't bother with adding any edging to hold it down — it's a snug enough fit all around that it doesn't really move much, and if it does start to scooch out towards the door a bit, a swift kick has always put it right.
chrisfreemanca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got wood? Reply with quote

chrisfreemanca wrote:
katstan wrote:
You guys inspired me and I knew we had a few boxes of bamboo flooring in the garage so Iron Pots now has bamboo floors. It only took one box and was ridiculously easy to do. I laid them right on top of the grey rubber mat that was under the old carpet. Didn't move any of the cabinetry or anything though I did have to move the fire extinguisher holder up a little after I was done. Looks so much better than either of those did. The metal strip on the edge was over the rubber mat before so I just repurposed it.

My 87 has this same grey "rubber" flooring and was wondering if I could just go right over it and not fool with removing it. So you just pulled up the metal threshold strip, laid the wood down, and put the metal strip back on? Did you secure the wood to floor in any way?

Ok so just decided to go for it and went to Home Depot last night and picked up a box of their new LifeProof vinyl flooring, it's waterproof. I've always had the grey "rubber" flooring (don't know if 87's had carpet originally or not) so I stayed with the gray'ish look and got this weathered looking style... Still have a seam I need to work on, just need to find my wood floor tool and snug that up. Just put it right on top of the flooring that was there.

professorplumb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got wood? Reply with quote

I've had wood (actually laminate, don't tell anyone) floors for a couple years now, and had laid them over the factory reconstituted foam mats. It was easy to install that way, but pushed the floor up high enough that my under-the-bench-seat "kickplate" wouldn't screw in through the normal holes in the seat frame.

I got some underlayment from Home Depot and some of this stuff from the local pool shop. Cut the padding into strips and filled the "valleys" in the corrugated floor, put the underlayment over it, and laid the floor back into place. It's all floating, held in place by the kickplate and by a piece of angle bracket at the slider edge. It was a little frustrating getting everything to stay in place without adhesive, but it's much quieter now, and feels easier on my knees and feet while puttering around in there (though that last one may be confirmation bias.)

Bonus pic of the Lightning McQueen seat cover that my mom and sister made for me!
avernon82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got wood? Reply with quote

I got wood!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
krawler37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got wood? Reply with quote

I put this in yesterday, it's vinyl and laid in on top of carpet. Easily done and cleans great, looks awesome too.

[/img]
dougass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got wood? Reply with quote

Adding my $0.02... My layers top to bottom:

Vinyl "wood" floor with taped interlocking edges, running front to back under rear bench.
Underlayment for moisture barrier
Durock cement board (hope that it is more resilient to the environment than wood)
1 layer of insulation board, ~1/4inch
Strips of the same insulation in the low spots on the metal floor secured with aluminum tape

first photo - after durock installed
second photo - vinyl installed, trim not yet finished (green underlayment poking out the edge)

#klausvan & @thisisklausvan
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got wood? Reply with quote

Thanks for renewing this post. Just what I was looking for..
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got wood? Reply with quote

I think Vinyl is the way to go. We just had armstrong vct natural creation flooring installed in our store and turned out great. Requires adhesive but it is really durable. We run pallet jacks and uboats over it all day long and thousands of shopping carts. The picture shows the flooring to be lighter than it is because of our led lighting. I have a box of samples I can ship out if you pay for the flat rate.

We did the aisle in a slate grey type color. This is what I will probably put in when I do the floor so It matches my grey interior. I wish the pictures showed the true color.

westydriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

Real happy with this Coretec Flooring. Did a beer test and it didn't stain or anything and was dry by morning with no marks. Easy to apply and scratch resistant.

montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got wood? Reply with quote

avernon82 wrote:
I got wood!

Hey!

How did you do the headliner? What thickness of plywood did you use and did you need to do any steam bending to get it to work?

Thanks,
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

Disappointed with the title change. Clearly this thread is about more than floors.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

Did mine...

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
Disappointed with the title change. Clearly this thread is about more than floors.

Yeah I agree. I thought original thread name was pretty funny Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: