Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing Door Seals
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Installing Door Seals Reply with quote

So I'm in info gathering mode here....

I will break installing all new seals around the doors, hatch, engine. Taking them out was not so bad but the adhesive made it come out in pieces at times.

Got me some new rubber and 3M weatherstripping adhesive.

For those of you who have done this before any tips? Im wondering do I need to apply some stretching of the seal as I install them with the adhesive? The goal is to not have too much seal or too much door at the end or does it not fit that tight and you only have to press it in without any stretching?

Hope this is all just something that is not too difficult. I figure due to the adhesive I've got one shot at getting it right.

Thanks
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Door Seals Reply with quote

I bought seals from vancafe and didn't need to trim them down or stretch them. Maybe a little bit of stretching toward the end, but they're cut pretty close.

Make sure you have some blue tape to hold the seal in place in a few spots (close to the body, near the hinges). I'd recommend extra adhesive if you feel like the seal is pulling away from the channel.

I worked in sections, putting adhesive in the channel for a foot or two, pressing the seal in place, and working around the door that way. You won't have enough time to do the entire seal at once, the glue will start to dry.

Obviously clean out any debris or old rubber from the channel and clean it, but I wasn't very thorough with that and it turned out just fine.
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Door Seals Reply with quote

I think only the front doors and the engine cover use weather strip adhesive. The front doors have these clips that hold the seal in place (as well as the glue). If you don't have these they are likely still in the door.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Door Seals Reply with quote

I have those little clips but where do they go? Can't find any info on these and they are not in my old gasket or in the door. Possible they did not use these Til later. Wouldn't be the first thing I've found that was like that.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Door Seals Reply with quote

When using weatherstrip adhesive follow the manufactures instructions to the letter. Most require you apply a thin film to both surfaces and allow to dry to touch. So yes, you usually get one try.
While applying the seal you want to avoid stretching or bunching the seal. If you bunch in some areas you'll have to stretch in others, stretching leads to bond failure as the seal tries to shrink. Dry fit the seal to get an idea of where it fits. Use a Sharpie to mark tick points so when you are applying the seal with adhesive on it you know you're in the right spot. Use tape to hold the seal in place while marking.
A good quality seal should fit without stretching.

I also find that cleaning the seal before applying the adhesive helps get a better bond. De-natured alcohol works good.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Door Seals Reply with quote

I have those little clips but where do they go? Can't find any info on these and they are not in my old gasket or in the door. Possible they did not use these Til later. Wouldn't be the first thing I've found that was like that.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Door Seals Reply with quote

My '82 had those clips.

They're inboard, on the hinged side of the door. I don't remember exactly where, but I think it's toward the middle of the door. With the seal off you should be able to find the holes.
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Door Seals Reply with quote

The clips are a pain to get in. I did it without them and just the 3M product. The seal still looks great a year later...
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Door Seals Reply with quote

I sorry I can't remember exactly where the clips are but there were holes in the rubber seal to accept the t end of the bar.

That glue dries really fast. Do a little at a time as described above. Don't try to glue the whole shebang in one bead.

Have solvent nearby for all the stringy cheese like wisps of glue. Godspeed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Franagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Door Seals Reply with quote

Hello all,

Wondering which way the seal actually goes on the door? I know this is super basic, but my body guy took mine off so I don't have anything to compare to. The square/rectangular part of the seal goes into the channel of the door, but does the seal conform to the door frame or kind of stick up and away from the door frame? There are also the 'vent holes' in the seal, maybe that is a way someone can describe the way the seal goes. Someone with a photo of fresh door seals from a previous install would be super helpful. Sorry, I took photos but can't understand my wife's mac stuff Embarassed Going to be doing glue scraping tonight for glue install tomorrow, I hope. Please help. Thanks!
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Door Seals Reply with quote

Franagon wrote:
Hello all,

Wondering which way the seal actually goes on the door? I know this is super basic, but my body guy took mine off so I don't have anything to compare to. The square/rectangular part of the seal goes into the channel of the door, but does the seal conform to the door frame or kind of stick up and away from the door frame? There are also the 'vent holes' in the seal, maybe that is a way someone can describe the way the seal goes. Someone with a photo of fresh door seals from a previous install would be super helpful. Sorry, I took photos but can't understand my wife's mac stuff Embarassed Going to be doing glue scraping tonight for glue install tomorrow, I hope. Please help. Thanks!

When I did my new seals the pins didn't match up but was able to use many of them to get the seals to stay put.

Here's some pics of my doors with the old seals removed. You should be able to tell how much of the seal gets glued to the door.

Just make sure you have some pins and clean the door really well for the new glue to bond.

In the pics you can see the pins in the door jam and by the lock. Try to match up the holes in the new seal with the holes on the door.

Might try taping the seal to the door to see what holes line up with both door and new seal.

Good luck......Tim

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
OzzieJo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Door Seals Reply with quote

I am just about to start installing front door seals on my van and will be using the 3M weatherstrip adhesive. I just have a question about the little plastic clips, 3 in the channel on the hinge side and 1 on the latch side.
How do you install these ?, is it best to insert them into the rubber seal first and then press them in, or do you press them into the frame and then stretch the rubber on and then glue everything down.
Cheers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: