Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Cylinder Shelf Life
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Cylinder Shelf Life Reply with quote

Well, I installed it, but I can't get a hard pedal using a vacuum extractor to do one-man bleeding. It's worked in the past, but not this time. I also adjusted the brake shoes at each wheel before starting to bleed.

I thought maybe the fluid wasn't flowing through the MC, but when I inadvertently left one of the bleeder screws loose and went to pump the pedal, it sprayed plenty of fluid all over the place and emptied the fluid reservoir. And when I use the vacuum extractor on each wheel, fluid flows out all the bleeder screws. It's a single circuit brake system, by the way.

I got tired and called it a day. I will try the old-fashioned way with someone to pump the pedal for me while I work the bleeder screws. If that doesn't work, I know there are tons of threads out there with people who have this same problem, so I'll spend some time looking around to see what to do next.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.

Last edited by 79SuperVert on Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Cylinder Shelf Life Reply with quote

Yes the old fashioned way is also the Bentley manual way and it works. Just remember these are manual brakes they'll never compare to modern car.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Cylinder Shelf Life Reply with quote

79SuperVert - did you measure the depth of the recess on the "new" master cylinder to compare to the one you just removed? If there's a difference then the brake pushrod should be adjusted to compensate.

I do agree: re-bleed the old-fashioned way. I also have a vacuum type brake bleeder and it works just "OK"; typically I only use that when I'm by myself. I've also recently tried gravity bleeding using a longer plastic hose, that seems to work too.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Cylinder Shelf Life Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
79SuperVert - did you measure the depth of the recess on the "new" master cylinder to compare to the one you just removed? If there's a difference then the brake pushrod should be adjusted to compensate.

I didn't measure the depth of the recess. The two MC's seemed to be identical. However, I found that when I put everything back together, there seemed to be no free play in the brake pedal, so I followed the Bentley manual procedure to move the stop plate slightly to get the 1 mm free play. I did not move the nut on the pushrod.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Cylinder Shelf Life Reply with quote

Success with the old-fashioned bleeder method. Took about 10 minutes.

Funny thing about the stop plate: if I tighten the bolt down really hard, something flexes and the free play goes away. So I have to back it off a scootch to keep the free play. As long as it stays secure, I guess it's OK.

Update on the stop plate: I figured out that if I prop the pedals in the correct positions (brake with correct free play, clutch parallel to brake), I can then tighten the stop plate as much as I can, and the pedals stay in place.

Last edited by 79SuperVert on Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Cylinder Shelf Life Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
Success with the old-fashioned bleeder method. Took about 10 minutes.

Great. From your other posts, I figured you knew what you were doing.

So did you install your master cylinder without a helper, like I did?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Cylinder Shelf Life Reply with quote

Yes. I used duct tape to hold the MC bolts in place in the footwell while I fitted the MC from the other side. I was worried also about losing those spacers in the space between the two areas, but with a magnetic rod it is easy to retrieve them. As much fun as it was, I hope I don't have to do this again soon. Very Happy

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Cylinder Shelf Life Reply with quote

Another use for duct tape !!!

I used rags to hold the MC in place as I got the two mount bolts started.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Cylinder Shelf Life Reply with quote

Duct tape was doubly useful: taping the bolts in place in the footwell while fitting the MC, and using the roll of duct tape to support the MC while starting the bolts in the holes!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: