Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas In my Oil Tank
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisjbrown147147
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Gas In my Oil Tank Reply with quote

Hello all, New to this thread so please bear with me, please.

I have been passed down a Trike that my Late uncle built from Scratch 15 or so Years Ago. The Engine model number is: AD 5545 and the carb is a PICT-3.

I was driving the other day in third gear, when my engine started to sputter out, finally dying. I pulled over, started the engine again and it started (idling very bad), But when I would try and put it in gear or press on the gas peddle it would shut off. I managed to make it back home and have been looking all around but want to make my own post to make sure i am going in the right direction. But it turns over, Does not start though.

The Trike was sitting for around 6 years prior to me firing it up again. (When it was running again I had only been driving it around for 20-30 minutes at a time)

After hours of searching online I found one post that said check my oil tank for gas, and sure enough my tank smells very strong of gas. I haven't tried to start since finding gas in the oil tank, but before i knew i had gas in my oil, I tried cranking it and it Did Turn but Didn't Start. From what I looked up, It could either be my fuel pump or stuck float needle?(best case)
if you can list exact parts numbers/links would be awesome

Thank you for taking your time to read.
Below Are picts of the Trike, Engine, The oil tank, And inside the carb.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Gas In my Oil Tank Reply with quote

There is no "oil tank", there is the oil in the crank case.

Your fuel pump is likely leaking into the crankcase. Pull the fuel pump and check to see if it is wet from fuel underneath.

A leaking carburetor/stuck float won't leak fuel into the crankcase at all. It will just cause a rich fuel mixture.

If fuel did manage to make it's way into the crankcase from the carb, you have bigger issues to deal with and those should be pretty obvious.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
chrisjbrown147147
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Gas In my Oil Tank Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I really have no experience with working on cars. Would this Be the right Pump? And would there be any accessories that I would need with the pump, Thanks.
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pn.aspx?sku=12801...AoY38P8HAQ
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Gas In my Oil Tank Reply with quote

Your motor still has a generator. You need a generator fuel pump.

Someone added that alternator from another car on the left hand side which doesn't belong on the motor and if it was added, then the generator likely doesn't work which you can see by the fact that the wires are cut on it.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
chrisjbrown147147
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Gas In my Oil Tank Reply with quote

Awesome, if i got a replacement generator fuel pump and installed it it should run like it previously did without me having to wire the generator, correct? (assuming the pump is the only problem). Thanks!
chrisjbrown147147
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Gas In my Oil Tank Reply with quote

http://www.partsgeek.com/4vmq1z2-volkswagen-super-...Alvm8P8HAQ

Correct pump for my engine?
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Gas In my Oil Tank Reply with quote

Yup. It's for a generator.

chrisjbrown147147
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Gas In my Oil Tank Reply with quote

Awesome, I am ordering the part today and will get back when i replace it. Thanks for all your help, i really appreciate it.
chrisjbrown147147
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas In my Oil Tank Reply with quote

Went to Order the part and there are so many variations, I don't want to order the wronf part. Can somone please link me to a Cheap one That would work on my engine? Thanks.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas In my Oil Tank Reply with quote

Hey! First off, don't be looking for "cheap." Secondly, find the Buyer/Seller feedback forum and read up on PartsGeek before you order ANYTHING. And Autohaus is a fine retailer, order from them. Confused
chrisjbrown147147
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas In my Oil Tank Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely keep that in mind when buying it. I just posted to the buyer/seller forum. Thanks again.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas In my Oil Tank Reply with quote

Couple things quick. You can use either the generator or alternator style pump. If you get a real Brosol, it will be fine BUT the pushrod for the fuel pump is different for a generator and alternator style. 2 different lengths and they are NOT interchangable. Make sure you pack some grease in the underside (you'll see where) before you install it.

Guessing the generator or voltage regulator died, so someone stuck on an alternator. as long as the belt doesnt slip, what the hell - go with it.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisjbrown147147
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas In my Oil Tank Reply with quote

The Push rod is 100mm Long. Would I get an Alternator fuel pump?

Another Thing; The insulator broke off and is stuck seated in the block. I am having terrible luck so far. Pictures attached below. thanks!
chrisjbrown147147
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas In my Oil Tank Reply with quote

andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Gas In my Oil Tank Reply with quote

108mm = generator pump
100mm = alternator pump

The flange snapping is not unusual - I use a lag bolts with the end rounded off and screw it in and them pry it up. Don't bitch up the sealing surface on th engine case when you are doing this. Sometimes it works and sometimes the plastic breaks. Not a big deal. You'll find the pieces when you do oil changes.

Would STRONGLY suggest measuring the fuel pressure after you install the pump. You want it to be a little under 3 lbs if you can get it there. You can adjust pressure some by adding gaskets. Order some extras or you can make your own. The top one is pretty easy to make though.

Last thing - dont use RTV. Get yourself a little bottle of Permatex Aviation gasket sealer. You will use this for other things as well.

One last thing - so you don't always have to wait for an answer, learn how to use the search function. You will find the answer pretty fast and learn other stuff as well. For example - if you searched for fuel pump pushrod length, you would probably find an answer in a couple minutes. I use it a lot.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Gas In my Oil Tank Reply with quote

the carb inside appears very dirty, could use a clean up probably. could be the float valve is stuck open or the pump. the original generator must still spin via the belt, as the engine cooling fan is spun by it. you could install a 12 volt alternator in its place nd thus remove the extra one you now have. a VW bug 12 alternator should fit, although you will also need to replace the stand it rests on. make sure you fan inlet on front side of the fan house has a wire screen over it, these are sold aftermarket (dune buggy guys use them a lot) as with the open engine bay you have wont keep leafs and such out, and leaves when sucked in dont amke it out, they build up on top the cooling fins and cause over heating, so make sure the inlet has a screen to stop junk from getting sucked in.

cool ride you have, get the motor sorted out and have fun this summer!

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Gas In my Oil Tank Reply with quote

You have 2 threads going with similar content, let's use your other one from now on so the replies are not getting split up:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=675313
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: