Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Loose shifter problems in the '63
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cool cam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Loose shifter problems in the '63 Reply with quote

Hello, I'm still kind of new to the whole vw world, but I have a quick question about my stick shift. On my shift rod there is a little slot which looks like the ball joint on the bottom of the actual stick should have a little wedge that goes into the slot. The ball joint on the bottom of the stick has a fat hole in it also, I'm not sure if that is supposed to be there or not? When I go to shift it goes into gear but the whole shifter stick can turn 360 degrees, that does not feel right! Any help would be much appreciated,
Thanks!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose shifter problems in the '63 Reply with quote

Should have a pin like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cool cam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose shifter problems in the '63 Reply with quote

Well thanks, I guess that answers it. Do you know where I can get just the pin?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose shifter problems in the '63 Reply with quote

Either from another shifter or just have a local machine shop make one for you.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose shifter problems in the '63 Reply with quote

Maybe try a good hardware store, take the shifter with you, and try their selection of "roll pins". Find one that is slightly/just a hair larger than the hole in your shifter, and must be long enough to go at least 3/4 thru the shifter base as well as extending forward enough to pass completely throught the slot in the shift rod cup that's in the tunnel. If you find one, place the shifter into a soft-jaw bench vise, then carefully tap the pin into the front of the hole with a hammer. Hold it with some needle-nose pliers so you don't hammer your fingers while holding the pin. Keep the roll pin slot straight upwards.

Have you checked if your shift rod shakes around in the tunnel, now that the shifter is out? It should not move around at all side-to-side. If it does, the shifter bushing which is just to the rear of the tunnel opening will need to be replaced. Now is the time to replace it, because if that bushing is worn, it'll cause the stock shifter, and even a short-throw aftermarket one to not shift as well as possible. Then grease the shift rod cup plenty before you reinstall the shifter.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose shifter problems in the '63 Reply with quote

Its not just a pin. There is a mushroom head on the other end and a spring in the hole in the shifter shaft. The spring pushes the mushroom head against the inside of the shift rod pocket. The pin part keeps the shifter handle from spinning, so the bend in the shaft faces the driver. The mushroom head pushing inside the shift rod pocket helps prevent shifter rattling. (A good shift rod bushing is still important to prevent shift rod rattling.)
Cool cam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose shifter problems in the '63 Reply with quote

I fixed it! I luckily had another shifter around and it had the pin in it! It still spins In 4th gear though for some reason but thanks for the help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: