Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do not know what Fuel Pump to Buy.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisjbrown147147
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Do not know what Fuel Pump to Buy. Reply with quote

I have A Air Cooled VW Superbug engine that had a generator on it but has been converted to alternator. Question is What pump Do i Buy? Would I still Get the generator pump? And should I also get A new Rod too? If you could link the exact pump i need (generic) Thanks !

Pics of the Engine below with the Engine Number
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Do not know what Fuel Pump to Buy. Reply with quote

You have a alternator type now that could have either length of push rod. Would only replace the push rod if worn down too much or you would like to go to the earlier rebuildable fuel pump. Measure the push rod and sort it out. Some of the new pumps put out way too much fuel pressure.

Do a search for "Fuel Pump" of the forums and start reading up.

Do beware of pumps with without the C-clip on the pivot rod. They have a nasty habit of leaving you stranded when the pivot works its way out the side of the pump.

From Hazetguy in the gallery

Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Do not know what Fuel Pump to Buy. Reply with quote

I love the ingenuity of people. This is the result of someone with more time than money. And I don't mean that in a rude way. Instead of buying a new generator they most likely used an alternator and some stuff they had laying around the farm and make that work. Can't call it stupid if it works. Kudos to that person.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Do not know what Fuel Pump to Buy. Reply with quote

get the red MR. Gasket electric one at Autozone .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
chrisjbrown147147
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Do not know what Fuel Pump to Buy. Reply with quote

Thanks Cali_Army_Guy .Thats exactly what happened, had no money but had the knowledge to make it work. I took off the pump, the rod is just over 3 7/8 inches. Would it be a generator or alternator?

Annndd I broke the insulator and its stuck; broken off in the block. It isnt loose in the block.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Do not know what Fuel Pump to Buy. Reply with quote

From a search for "Fuel Pump Rod":

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Do not know what Fuel Pump to Buy. Reply with quote

Here is a must buy manual for working on your VW powered trike:

https://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Beetle-Karmann-O...vice+guide

You can find it for a lot less in good used in a local book store or on line.
chrisjbrown147147
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Do not know what Fuel Pump to Buy. Reply with quote

My engine came from a 71-73 bug. could i still use this book as a reference? Thanks for the information.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Do not know what Fuel Pump to Buy. Reply with quote

If your engine has single port heads the blue cover Official Service Manual is great for what you have.

If the engine has dual port heads, the later orange cover Official Service Manual will be a better one, but it does have a section on the FI system which is not needed for your carbed engine.

https://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Official-Service...vice+guide
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Do not know what Fuel Pump to Buy. Reply with quote

chrisjbrown147147 wrote:
I took off the pump, the rod is just over 3 7/8 inches. Would it be a generator or alternator?

That would be the shorter 100mm push rod, so you need a slanted alternator-type fuel pump to go with that push rod.

chrisjbrown147147 wrote:
Annndd I broke the insulator and its stuck; broken off in the block. It isnt loose in the block.

Buy a new fuel pump stand, under $5. There are ways like using a screw or a tap to free up the broken part of that plastic stand to get it out of the case. Do a Search on this site.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
chrisjbrown147147
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Do not know what Fuel Pump to Buy. Reply with quote

http://www.carcustomonline.com/product-p/kt-1071.htm Just to Confirm before i buy it, This looks correct? Thanks

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Do not know what Fuel Pump to Buy. Reply with quote

chrisjbrown147147 wrote:
http://www.carcustomonline.com/product-p/kt-1071.htm Just to Confirm before i buy it, This looks correct? Thanks

That will work fine since it has all the parts and will work with either gen or alt.
chrisjbrown147147
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Do not know what Fuel Pump to Buy. Reply with quote

Thank you all for the help. I have purchased it and will let you all know if it is up and running again. After that, Its on to sanding, painting, new windshield, tires,side Mirrors, And then it will be nice, and street legal again. I'm thinking about spraying it black; I started spraying it yellow again, but am considering darker colors.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Do not know what Fuel Pump to Buy. Reply with quote

Looks like the suicide seat needs a lap belt Cool
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Do not know what Fuel Pump to Buy. Reply with quote

Here's a thread I have bookmarked about a broken f.pump flange.
Your machine is awesome. Looks like if you go too fast it might get airborn.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=502179&highlight=fuel+pump+flange
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Do not know what Fuel Pump to Buy. Reply with quote

There's a first time for everything. I can't say I've ever seen a dual carb hex bar on a single carb setup before. Crazy! I noticed in your other posts that you are new to cars, I also recommend a good manual because this contraption has all kinds of freestyle things going on. But, the creativity is hard to appreciate when it's confusing a noob

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Do not know what Fuel Pump to Buy. Reply with quote

roachdub58 wrote:
There's a first time for everything. I can't say I've ever seen a dual carb hex bar on a single carb setup before. Crazy! I noticed in your other posts that you are new to cars, I also recommend a good manual because this contraption has all kinds of freestyle things going on. But, the creativity is hard to appreciate when it's confusing a noob

I noticed that too. Couldn't use the factory throttle cable location cause of how far to the right of the chassis the current cable is routed. Also has a trailer hitch on the back that's way to high for any bumper pull trailer. So mini gooseneck trailer? I'd love to see this thing in person. It's so cool.

OP once you get it running bring it to California and give me a ride haha

Edit: How is the shifter connected? That's way off to the right as well. Can you post a walk around video of this showing all the custom fabrication on it? I'm intrigued by all this.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Do not know what Fuel Pump to Buy. Reply with quote

For all of you that have the type pump without clips, well this is what I did. Put it on both sides of the pump.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1611142

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Do not know what Fuel Pump to Buy. Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
For all of you that have the type pump without clips, well this is what I did. Put it on both sides of the pump.

Brilliant! Simple, yet effective!

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Do not know what Fuel Pump to Buy. Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:

After seeing gt1953's preventive measure, I did similar to the Brazilian fuel pump in my 1971 which does not have pivot rod clips - but has never drifted out either. The extra holes are not used for anything.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: