Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DIY home fabricated parts: photo gallery
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: DIY home fabricated parts: photo gallery Reply with quote

If such a thread exists I apologize (please delete);

But for inspirational purposes for those of us who might aspire to fabricating our own spare parts as opposed to purchasing used or aftermarket parts, please post your photos of any parts you have "built yourself".

Thanks!
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: DIY home fabricated parts: photo gallery Reply with quote

Aluminum Step Protector

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546911

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Syncronoid on Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: DIY home fabricated parts: photo gallery Reply with quote

Smile
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: DIY home fabricated parts: photo gallery Reply with quote

Nice idea. Along with the pic could you post details of the part specs or a link to it? (I am not so good at the guessing game.... Cool )

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: DIY home fabricated parts: photo gallery Reply with quote

I made arm rest pivot covers.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: DIY home fabricated parts: photo gallery Reply with quote

Fresh from the laser cutter:

replacement for flue vent to accommodate a solar power connection:

Combined galley vent and USB/12V power:

My own take on a hatch lock:

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers

Last edited by Paulbeard on Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: DIY home fabricated parts: photo gallery Reply with quote

replacement hose connector for 4 way coolant hose on diesel

replaced to a new hose since, but kept the connector for emergency repairs

Last edited by ZsZ on Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY home fabricated parts: photo gallery Reply with quote

Funky stuff! Pray
ARMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY home fabricated parts: photo gallery Reply with quote

This thread is a GREAT idea, I find myself making stuff often. Like yesterday I needed a slide hammer to replace the water pump on my not yet in the van Zetec. I was about to buy one from harbor freight, but a little voice in my head said, ah you can make that from scrap in an hour. It's not pretty, but it served its purpose and was a lot more fun to make than to buy. Plus free.

crappy diy slide hammer. by Andrew:, on Flickr
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY home fabricated parts: photo gallery Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664047 rates a mention.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY home fabricated parts: photo gallery Reply with quote

ARMc wrote:
I needed a slide hammer to replace the water pump on my not yet in the van Zetec.

Why do you need a slide hammer to do the waterpump? I've done mine twice and didnt need anything fancy.

Pro tip. Buy a OEM Motorcraft pump. Unless you like doing it every year...
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY home fabricated parts: photo gallery Reply with quote

OK...I'll play...

DIY pilot bearing puller - my work, but not my idea (grind stove bolt head to oval shape,
slip sideways under lip of pilot bearing, use hammer in wire loop as "slide" hammer):

DIY flywheel lock (~12" swing set -or any- chain):

DIY hatch latch extension (6" bolt & nut, plus 30 seconds with a hammer):

DIY replacement temp sender "boot" (regular & liqid elec tape, 3 layers each):

Nothing rocket science here, just I'm cheap & live about an hour from any decent tool store.
FWIW, all this stuff worked & still working... Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
whip618
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: DIY home fabricated parts: photo gallery Reply with quote

I installed a RMW aluminum expansion tank on my syncro last year and wanted to make an adapter for the "Libby Bong " that did not leak to badly while bleeding the coolant system, this adapter works pretty well.

Another annoying problem I had was the syncro oil fill tube, most of us know how these tubes loosen at the crimp, probably from vibration and start to leak so I thought I would try some heat shrink tube
and after several years it is working fine.

one piece is long enough to cut in half and place one over the other, it is a very strong repair.

Phil

Samba Member No. 3307
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: DIY home fabricated parts: photo gallery Reply with quote

I'm currently in the planning stages for a DIY driver side rear tire carrier for stock fiberglass bumpers. Does anyone know of other similar examples?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: DIY home fabricated parts: photo gallery Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:

Good with artistic photos as well! Laughing
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: DIY home fabricated parts: photo gallery Reply with quote

Sorry, no parts to share but a few DIY tools ...

Brake Spoon

I made this brake spoon from an old paint can opener, to adjust the ’star ratchet’ wheel on Vanagon rear brakes. Just bend it up as shown.

To use the tool, simply grasp the handle in the palm of your hand and reach in behind the rear wheel. Insert the tip of the tool in the access hole in the brake backing plate and find the teeth on the ratchet ‘star’ wheel. Pressing firmly, use the tool to dial the star wheel up or down as needed.

With practice (ask me how I know), you can pull over and easily make this adjustment within seconds, then hit the road for further brake testing until you get it right. Oh, what an enjoyable way to spend one’s first day of cross-country vacation after a last-minute brake job …

BONUS: many such paint can openers feature an integrated bottle opener in the handle, so you can enjoy an adult beverage while admiring your work.

CV joint removal tool

Really just a simple drift, used for driving a stubborn axle out of a CV joint. Made of a (one-inch?) hardwood dowel, I added a cheap hose clamp on the top end to prevent splintering. Dangle the axle assembly vertically in a loose bench vise, remove the axle’s retaining clip, and use a 2-pound hammer on the drift to pound the end of the axle out the bottom of the joint.

CV Joint Alignment Tool

It can be difficult to hold a CV axle assembly in place while you install the first bolt.

Get an M8x48 bolt from the hardware store (or just use an old CV bolt) and cut the head off, then cut a slot into the same end of the bolt so you can insert a flat screwdriver. Thread this ‘alignment tool’ into the uppermost hole in the drive flange of the transaxle or wheel hub, then slip the axle’s CV joint over the protruding tool. The axle will hang in position while you install the proper bolts; use a screwdriver to remove the tool, then install the final bolt.

BONUS: The same tool also works in similar fashion for installing Vanagon diesel V-belt pulley sheaves.

Diesel oil pan bolt tool

The two forward most oil pan bolts on a diesel or other inline engine are difficult to reach, and the usual hex drivers with 3/8" drives have shanks too large to fit in the tight space. So, I simply cut up an old Allen key of the correct size and slipped it into a matching slim 1/4"-drive socket.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY home fabricated parts: photo gallery Reply with quote

Wow, I'm going to use that oil pan tool... some of those bolts are really buggers!

- - -

I have also not make many parts. But here is a tool I made for pulling out and installing the Diesel intermediate shaft bearings. Andrew Libby gave the instructions, but I don't have a steel lathe, just a wood one, so I made the thing out of a material called TRESPA. It's a fantastic material I use in my guitar making... fingerboards, bridges, nuts, saddles - etc etc...

ARMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY home fabricated parts: photo gallery Reply with quote

I like this thread so I'll post this easy brainless fix. Guessing I'm not the first one to come up with this. I broke the magnet off my transaxle drain plug while trying to clean up the threads. I then felt stupid for breaking it. So I looked online for an oem replacement and came up empty handed. Turns out maybe for the better. A stack of neodymium magnets are far more powerful than the original, and with more surface area to collect shavings! I set the magnets in a little RTV, probably won't do much but help keep the stack straight as the broken part of the magnet that remained in the plug wasn't quite flush. Keep em coming! Its great to see what people come up with.

FIxed it. by Andrew:, on Flickr
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY home fabricated parts: photo gallery Reply with quote

Here's a Blast from the Past, an Oldie But Goodie

These are two of eight telescoping, adjustable pushrod tubes I spun off about 30 years ago for my first, and perhaps my favorite Vanagon, an 84 Sunroof.

Right after I bought that jewel, it puked a big puddle of oil in the driveway. I found two pushrod tubes nearly rotted away. Welcome to Vanagonland.

Once I found out about such things, I went to the dealer to pick up adjustable pushrod tubes. I figured I'd replace them all because if two were shot, the others would not be far behind. The counter guy quoted me about 90 bucks and I thought, that's not so bad, until he said,". . . a piece." After I (expletive deleted) myself, I went home to regroup.

Remember this was at the end of the 80's. There was no i-net to search, there were no aftermarket Vanagon parts (especially telescoping pushrod tubes) and I could buy a used, low-low-milage 2.1L for six chops.

So what else could I do, I rolled my own.

By the way, as I installed the home-brewed tubes, I found out why a couple had rotted away. Some moron had swapped the engine tins, left for right and when he had trouble getting them to fit up, he cut away a lot of sheetmetal which turned the tins into perfect scoops to suck up any well salted slush the van rolled over.

These were made from what I had on hand: 3/4 and 1/2 rigid, aluminun electrical conduit. The two pieces were bored out and turned to assure ample clearance for the pushrods and to provide a loose, sliding fit between the constituent tubes.

The collars at the top and bottom, which the seals bear against, were aluminum-brazed to the tubes. I used stock seals, top and bottom and a third in the middle which seated in a full chamfer on the mouth of the lower tube.

The springs were selected from whatever the Tru-Value hardware had in their Century Spring display case. Although I didn't have much of a choice of spring constant, my guesstimate proved to be good enough as these tubes sealed perfectly and remained solidly so until the van went to Vanagon heaven.

Richie (near The Burgh)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY home fabricated parts: photo gallery Reply with quote

This thread is above average. Good solutions posted already.

The best I got is (although I'm not sure if this is what the op had in mind)..,

This muffler heat shield...

This anti-friction pad for the dining room table...

Cuphplder...

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: