Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil drain plug plate
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sawed off
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Oil drain plug plate Reply with quote

After two different sets of gaskets, with and without silicone I finally got this thing to stop leaking. These gaskets are awesome! http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113198031SI
miller0358
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil drain plug plate Reply with quote

I always use the stock ones and never have a leak. I coat them with bearing grease so they don't wick out any oil and they don't leak. Jeff
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil drain plug plate Reply with quote

" These gaskets are awesome! "

On the silicone sump gaskets (and also on silicone rocker arm cover gaskets if you've tried them), how many times can you reuse them before you have to replace them?

Thanks.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil drain plug plate Reply with quote

I've been using those silicone WW sump gaskets for several years on my 68 Beetle. I just keep reusing them. I did rip one, so I'm using half of my second kit. I like the idea of one less piece of garbage going into the landfill.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil drain plug plate Reply with quote

I totally agree that these silicone gaskets are the cats meow. I tried EVERYTHING to get my sump plates to stop leaking with the paper gaskets. Nothing would seal them up. Installing these stopped all leaks.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil drain plug plate Reply with quote

John at Aircooled.net also sells them. That's who I ordered mine from.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gingergypsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Oil drain plug plate Reply with quote

mine leaked a ton with those gaskets. i guess everyone's engine reacts a bit differently

Currently residing in yosemite valley with Elizabeth, if you are in the park come say hi!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: