Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Locating VIN Sticker on Driver's Side Pillar
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Locating VIN Sticker on Driver's Side Pillar Reply with quote

Like many Thing owners I found that the previous owner had removed the VIN sticker from the driver's side pillar when it was repainted. I've sourced a repro and I'm preparing to install it however I'm not clear as to exactly where it goes.

Based on photos I've seen in the gallery here the bottom edge of the sticker follows the angle of the door opening so I have a general idea but if someone could take some measurements off their original and provide some location reference points that would be great. Thanks!
1madmanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Locating VIN Sticker on Driver's Side Pillar Reply with quote

wbailey2112 wrote:
Based on photos I've seen in the gallery here the bottom edge of the sticker follows the angle of the door opening so I have a general idea but if someone could take some measurements off their original and provide some location reference points that would be great. Thanks!

I'm guessing that the measurements will vary a little bit from Thing to Thing since it was mostly likely a human putting them on during assembly, but here are the measurements and pictures from my orig '73. Hope it helps.

Bud

In inches:
Top of pillar to top corner of sticker: 11 5/8
Door opening to top edge of the sticker (bottom of the sticker): 1
Door opening (curve) to top edge of the sticker (top of the sticker): 1 1/2

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'66 Kombi Bus
'73 Thing
Visit my Galleries:
https://manxclub.com/forum/app.php/gallery/album/44
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating VIN Sticker on Driver's Side Pillar Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch Bud.

I really appreciate the detailed response.
waxhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Locating VIN Sticker on Driver's Side Pillar Reply with quote

I just started reproducing these (VIN decals), if you, or anyone else is interested:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2033652

Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating VIN Sticker on Driver's Side Pillar Reply with quote

Does anyone know a current source for one of these stickers? The link below is no longer active.

Thanks!
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating VIN Sticker on Driver's Side Pillar Reply with quote

Dougster43 wrote:
Does anyone know a current source for one of these stickers? The link below is no longer active.

Thanks!

You could send him a private message. Appears he's still active.
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Locating VIN Sticker on Driver's Side Pillar Reply with quote

I sourced my repro VIN decal from a fellow named Dave at Industrial Design Works (www.indesignworks.com).

Here's the email address that I found in my archive for him: [email protected]

I do not know if he is still with this business but it may be worth a try sending him an email.
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating VIN Sticker on Driver's Side Pillar Reply with quote

So Dave at Industrial Design works is still in business and stickers should be on the way shortly! Super easy to deal with. Thanks for the information.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating VIN Sticker on Driver's Side Pillar Reply with quote

Is the VIN and date on the stickers perforated (like the originals) or just printed as a dot matrix?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating VIN Sticker on Driver's Side Pillar Reply with quote

It will be printed dots. Dave was very upfront about that.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating VIN Sticker on Driver's Side Pillar Reply with quote

Still, it's great that somebody is making those things.

When my car was painted (37 years ago) I removed the stamped ID plate in the trunk. I put it in a safe place, and I haven't seen it since.
I wonder if anybody makes those.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Locating VIN Sticker on Driver's Side Pillar Reply with quote

I have been wondering the same thing - I have my VIN plate but it is not in great shape.

I have heard that it is illegal for even the owner to install a replica though. I guess I could see the point as someone could change the numbers on a car, but it sure would be nice to have a new plate as part of the restoration.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating VIN Sticker on Driver's Side Pillar Reply with quote

Dougster43 wrote:
I have been wondering the same thing - I have my VIN plate but it is not in great shape.

I have heard that it is illegal for even the owner to install a replica though. I guess I could see the point as someone could change the numbers on a car, but it sure would be nice to have a new plate as part of the restoration.

I believe the missing factor here would be "with intent to deceive". No such intent is involved. It's merely replacing a missing or unreadable sticker. Besides, VIN is marked on the tunnel as well. The common individual would not know the difference as long as the VINs matched. Bigger fish to fry.

wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Locating VIN Sticker on Driver's Side Pillar Reply with quote

Just to clarify...I did not change the VIN. The VIN on the stamped plate under the hood, the VIN stamped into the rear tunnel and the repro sticker that Dave created for me all have the same VIN.
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating VIN Sticker on Driver's Side Pillar Reply with quote

Agreed and I wasn't suggesting any wrongdoing!!

I don't think the sticker on the pillar is considered the official VIN plate - that would be the metal plate in the frunk (which is actually easier to remove than the sticker!). And I would personally like to replace that with a duplicate metal tag but I have no idea where to get one and I don't think it is legal, even if it is an exact replica with the same VIN, as you and I would pursue. I doubt anyone would ever notice...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: