Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rusty Chrome
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Rusty Chrome Reply with quote

Hi guys!
I am going to remove my chrome and paint it gloss black. Bumpers, wheels, etc. What I need to know is if naval jelly is going to stop the rust and not leave something ugly that the paint will show.
Primer or no primer?
The biggest question I have is about clear coat. I'm planning on rattle canning everything and want to know if rattle can clear coat is tough enough. I don't know squat about paint, but I am pretty good with a can. I have read other posts about painting chrome.
What's a good grease and wax remover? Can I use lacquer thinner or something like that?
Thanks in advance!!
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rusty Chrome Reply with quote

Intuitively I would want to bead/sand blast the bumper and then prime with Cold Zinc Compound/ Self Etching primer. Chrome is hard and if it is flaking makes a great object to get a serious cut on. Clear Coat from a can usually does not cover well for some reason. Confused
Chitty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rusty Chrome Reply with quote

Would you consider powder coating? I have had good results with it because the parts are blasted prior to coating. A few bucks more I know, but the coating really resists road rash and the gloss black looks great.
Plus 2 other non-descript DD's
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rusty Chrome Reply with quote

I would have to check into the cost of having it done versus the sandpaper, primer, rust remover, black paint and enough cans of gloss to make it tough.
But I would love to get it powder coated.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Rusty Chrome Reply with quote

I did a little researching on using acid to remove chrome and it looks like something you want to be well informed before doing. Rust removers WARN not to use on anything but metal as some materials will produce hydrogen when in contact with a acid.

I think I remember trying to sand chrome and it was a very slow process to the point I gave up. If blasting does not remove it ,it will create a porous surface for a paint to stick too anyways.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Rusty Chrome Reply with quote

Anyone know if POR-15 would stick to any non-rusted chrome surfaces? That's tough stuff.
vwsplitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rusty Chrome Reply with quote

I have sandblasted marginal chrome bumpers with flaking and pealing chrome. Where it is pealing it will come off, but where the chrome is attached it wont. However, you will get the chrome surface dull enough for paint to stick. The chrome shine will disappear and you will have a toothy surface enough for paint like Rust Bullet or MasterSeries to stick. Once you have a couple of coats of that on, then you can topcoat with most paints.

Chuck P
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tspot100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rusty Chrome Reply with quote

love por 15. works great and lasts a long time. bullet proof they say. does not stick to chrome however..as mentioned it needs something to grab on to like a blasted or rusted surface. have used on new metal floor pans once blasted and no chips or peeling in over 10 yrs. surface prep is paramount. degrease, metal etch, then por 15.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: