Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1964 bug sways from side to side when I hit 50 mph .!!!
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank_!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: 1964 bug sways from side to side when I hit 50 mph .!!! Reply with quote

So I'm a new member to this site ... though I've read plenty of topic from it before ... so I have a question ... for you guys .. my 64 vw bug sways from side to side once I hit 45-50 mph pretty sketchy causing me to slow down and get it off the road I've checked the sway bar seems solid no play ... the steering wheel is good no play and aligned ... tire pressure is all good .. what else should I check ..? And how ..?
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 bug sways from side to side when I hit 50 mph .!!! Reply with quote

Are the king and link pins tight? Tierods also?

Is the car stock height or lowered?

Has the rear end been aligned also or just he front wheels?
If the rear toe is out, the car gets very sketchy at speed. My Oval went sideways at speed at Bonneville because the toe had changed due to some suspension work on one spring plate.

Welcome to the Samba

brad
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 bug sways from side to side when I hit 50 mph .!!! Reply with quote

Grease the kingpins and all steering joints. Turn the steering wheel lock to lock a few times and the grease it again. Drive the car a bit and then repeat.
What might be happening is that the steering is not returning to center the way it is supposed to, the car wanders left and the driver corrects to the right, but he over-corrects making the car veer. Over-correct back left, then right again, etc, etc, etc
You are weaving all over the place.
I had it happen with a Ghia that had not been on the road in over 30 years and was all gummed up.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 bug sways from side to side when I hit 50 mph .!!! Reply with quote

More info is needed to get better answers. Lowered/not lowered. Any new parts installed on the front or rear?

If nothing is binding up in the front suspension, I'd wonder about the condition of your rear torsion bar bushings. If the rear alignment was wildly out of spec, it could cause this as well.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frank_!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 bug sways from side to side when I hit 50 mph .!!! Reply with quote

Hey sorry yeah the car is lowered ... I'm not sure if the back got aligned ... also I'm new to this so sorry if I'm asking a bunch of questions or not posting the info needed ... anyways yes the car is dropped ... at times when I'm driving I get a grinding noise .. ( bearing ?) but when the car starts to sway happens at anytime I could be driving in a straight line and it'll start it almost like if I don't have any control of where the car want to go at that speed and starts to sway when I try and correct it ..
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 bug sways from side to side when I hit 50 mph .!!! Reply with quote

Sounds like you may need to use some caster shims.

http://www.mooreparts.com/caster-shim-for-vw-bug-g...gQodGOcNpQ

Do a search here for the terms and see if the description of the symptoms matches.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 bug sways from side to side when I hit 50 mph .!!! Reply with quote

How much lowered makes a difference - If the rear is really dropped, you could be killing your rear bearings due to lack of oil. Post a pic.

And I am assuming that you had a shop do the alignment. Get a couple pieces of wood or something and 2 tape measures. If radial tires, get the wood above the tire bulge and measure the width just in front and behind the tires - both front and rear tires. Your fronts should be narrower by about 1/8" or so in front of the tires than the rear of the tires. The rears should be almost exactly the oposite (wider in front of the tires)

I have had a couple "pro" shops do them wrong.. The car will feel like you are driving on ice if this is out.

And I think it was already suggested to check the link pins - Jack up the car in front and grab a wheel - see if you can make it wiggle. Could be worn king pins or link pins, loose link pins, loose or bad wheel bearings, etc.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frank_!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 bug sways from side to side when I hit 50 mph .!!! Reply with quote

So I notice what seems to be Break fluid coming out of my rear wheel could this be my problem ..?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 bug sways from side to side when I hit 50 mph .!!! Reply with quote

Frank_! wrote:
So I notice what seems to be Break fluid coming out of my rear wheel could this be my problem ..?

If the drum nut ( 36mm) is not tightened to 220 ft. lbs. or the 36mm nut is loose you can pound out a bearing, loose the seal and strip the axle splines and you can sure feel it while driving, if the bearings gone you can hear it too. I suggest you take a look at that.
Frank_!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 bug sways from side to side when I hit 50 mph .!!! Reply with quote

Hey just wanted to say thanks for all your help I figuered out the problem and took care of it it was the leaking wheel I guess the previous owner don't righted the center nut I jacked the car up and was able to move the wheel I notic d it was really loose with about a turn or so it righted right up took it for a spin and problem was solve thanks .. for everything..God Bless ..🙏
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 bug sways from side to side when I hit 50 mph .!!! Reply with quote

Frank_! wrote:
Hey just wanted to say thanks for all your help I figuered out the problem and took care of it it was the leaking wheel I guess the previous owner don't righted the center nut I jacked the car up and was able to move the wheel I notic d it was really loose with about a turn or so it righted right up took it for a spin and problem was solve thanks .. for everything..God Bless ..🙏

Remember that nut get's torqued to 220-250 Ft. Lbs.
Glad your problems solved! Smile
Frank_!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 bug sways from side to side when I hit 50 mph .!!! Reply with quote

Yeah thanks I appreciate it ..🙌
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: