Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 stock won't stay at idle
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjhale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

She starts but idles rough still. Where should the idle speed adjusting screw be to start carb adjustment?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

Back the throttle stop off all the way then turn it in just enough that the throttle butterfly just begins to open. It needs to rest in the closed position on the adjuster screw not the butterfly.
mjhale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

I'm not getting the carb to cooperate. Suggestions for rebuilding carb?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

How much play is in the throttle shaft?
mjhale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

Throttle feels fine
With key on, the battery reads 12.24 v but coil, idle and choke solenoid on carb is 10.45 v.
Thanks for your help
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

It's normal to loose 1 volt between the battery and there on the coil or the carb. 2 volts loss could be due to several things. The Ignition switch is suspect and the connection at the Generator's regulator if going through there could be the connection at the battery or a ground connection to the battery.
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

Make sure your timing is correct for '71 Bus with the stock SVDA distributor and the 34-3 Carb. What do you have the timing set at right now??

Per Bentley, chapter 5,"Engine and Clutch." page 72, Table 1 Ignition Timing, with both distb. hoses connected and NOT removed or plugged, timing should be set at 5 degrees after (not before) TDC at curb idle of 800-900 rpms. There is a note on page 73 regarding checking the function of the advance of the SVDA distributor for the '71. So, if you have a degree wheel pulley, anything after TDC will be to the left of the TDC mark on your pulley. I think I got that right.....others may correct me if I'm wrong.

If you don't have the green Bentley manual you really need to get one.
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

mjhale wrote:
I'm not getting the carb to cooperate. Suggestions for rebuilding carb?

This is the way to go. I highly recommend it.

http://www.volkzbitz.com/
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

Since it's a '71, the first thing I think of when I encounter a no idle situation is the brake vacuum system. Any leak there will cause it to not idle. The best way to test it is to remove the vac hose from the intake manifold and plug the hole in the manifold with a rubber stopper or such. If it now idles, your leak is upstream of the manifold. Could be the hose to the servo or the servo itself. Remember though, you now have lost your assist to the brakes so it takes a lot of leg force to stop the bus.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

The fuel filter should be on the suction side of the pump,it is a weak point in the system and may not stand up to the fuel pressure from the pump.
I just read thru those 2 pages,you make it hard for anyone to help you,some very good people are making suggestions on how to proceed,you need to do the tests and report the results,you said it's now running rough as opposed to not running,what did you do to make it run.If you don't tell the whole story everything else is just a guess.bus daddy asked some very pertinent questions a the start which you still have not answered.
Goodluck;Nelson
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
mjhale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

I've got spark, fuel, and compression but she still runs like crap. Valves are adjusted and timing is set.
On carb adjustment...I screwed in the mixture and speed screws and then backed them both out 2.5 times. I warm up the engine and set the throttle valve stop screw as directed in Bentley.
After I start the bus...
How much should I need to turn the mixture screw? Which direction?

Thanks for your help!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

mjhale wrote:

How much should I need to turn the mixture screw? Which direction?

You need to turn it as much as it needs in the direction that works Wink

2.5 is a good starting spot and it obviously works because it sort of runs, now you need to tune it for the best mixture.

With it all warmed up and the choke off turn that small mixture screw in 1/2 turn, does it run faster?, or slow down?, if it runs faster keep going, if it slows back up and go the other direction. The objective here is to find the happy spot where it idles the fastest, then turn it in so the idle drops ~50 RPM, if you don't have to smog you can leave it at best idle, but it will use more gas and fowl the plugs when idling long periods.

Once you find that happy spot adjust the final speed with the bigger screw.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

When you do turn that screw the 1/2 turn,give it a few seconds to react.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
mjhale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

She is running great.
Thank you all that replied.
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

So after all of this exhaustive back and forth with your posts and our replies, what did you do finally to achieve your end result???
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

Jody '71 wrote:
So after all of this exhaustive back and forth with your posts and our replies, what did you do finally to achieve your end result???

Yes, please let us know what worked to fix your bus.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
mjhale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

I had gone through compression, fuel, and spark tests. The last bit to get her running smoothly was I had to adjust carbs and adjust positioning of the distributor.
I still have voltage loss at coil but will get to that asap. Also, fuel line is fine.

Thanks

Hope that helps
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

mjhale wrote:
adjust positioning of the distributor.

Please tell us just how you did that.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

Adjusting the distributor,timing,most be done properly,if your fuel mixture is off,say lean,and you adjust timing to compensate you may be {read are}setting the seeds of destruction for your engine,
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
mjhale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 stock won't stay at idle Reply with quote

I followed Bentleys directions on timings and adjusting distributor.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: