Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NEW here Need a little help. Bringing it back to life
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW here Need a little help. Bringing it back to life Reply with quote

Your Cutless rules!!!

I often leave diesels off the line but once they they hit 3rd, they're rolling coal me. C'est la vie
’65 Deluxe Build
Runamuck Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: NEW here Need a little help. Bringing it back to life Reply with quote

Foam seal around engine tin; must have for proper cooling
coppercutlass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW here Need a little help. Bringing it back to life Reply with quote

The seal along with many other little things will be addressed. Guys i really appreciate the info like that. I dont know these buses but i can fix damn near anything with just the right info.

Also thanks for the comments.

We towed the VW back to their house and got it in the garage. I got it run pretty good but the carb needs a rebuild. something floating around is making the needle and seat stick and it will run great then cut out. But it does run VERY smooth i may add. I plan on taking the engine out. cleaning it and just get it running good before we put it back in. I like work space so pulling an engine out for me is a no brainer for work space. It will need alot of wiring addressed. But for now we will chip away at the work a few weekends a month. Im sure things will get more fun as we dig in. Again Thanks for the info guys.
coppercutlass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW here Need a little help. Bringing it back to life Reply with quote

Anyone out there in reader land . If i can ask who offers a good rebuild kit for the Weber carb ??
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW here Need a little help. Bringing it back to life Reply with quote

coppercutlass wrote:
Anyone out there in reader land . If i can ask who offers a good rebuild kit for the Weber carb ??

The Weber brand parts are just fine, a quick search will show you where you can get them.
coppercutlass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW here Need a little help. Bringing it back to life Reply with quote

must have been looking too vaguely . I google vw weber and i found what i wanted. Looks like i can buy the carb direct from weber pretty cheap. Is it worth buying a new one vs rebuilding ?? I have rebuild plenty of holley's and carter AFB's . But seems like i can get a new one for under 200 direct. Any input on this ??? Things to look for vendors to avoid ?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW here Need a little help. Bringing it back to life Reply with quote

I have yet to be dissapointed by stuff i get from these guys: http://www.piercemanifolds.com/Default.asp

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
coppercutlass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW here Need a little help. Bringing it back to life Reply with quote

Thanks. I will call them this week.
coppercutlass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW here Need a little help. Bringing it back to life Reply with quote

Been a while but i did rebuild the carb and taking the fuel tank out will be next to clean and re seal it etc etc.

Can the tank be taken off without dropping the engine ????
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW here Need a little help. Bringing it back to life Reply with quote

Yes, if the carb(s) and manifolds are off, it's even easier if you remove the rear and center hanger bolts and lower the engine a couple inches.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
coppercutlass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW here Need a little help. Bringing it back to life Reply with quote

i wanna first off thank anyone who has helped. Your help has been very helpful for this VW rookie. I got the tank out and we plan on refurbishing it re sealing it with the tank kits. I rebuilt the weber . But now my next question is im going to need a new fuel pump. How can you identify the engines. is the fuel pump a standard issue where one fits multiple engines ????

Thanks in advance.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW here Need a little help. Bringing it back to life Reply with quote

coppercutlass wrote:
i wanna first off thank anyone who has helped. Your help has been very helpful for this VW rookie. I got the tank out and we plan on refurbishing it re sealing it with the tank kits. I rebuilt the weber . But now my next question is im going to need a new fuel pump. How can you identify the engines. is the fuel pump a standard issue where one fits multiple engines ????

Thanks in advance.

It is originally a mechanical pump. But a lot of people replace them with electric pumps. Just make sure it is only putting 3lb to the car or you'll overpower your float.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW here Need a little help. Bringing it back to life Reply with quote

coppercutlass wrote:
....... re sealing it with the tank kits. ........

Danger!, unless it's full of holes avoid the sealer, clean steel works best and doesn't peel off in sheets later. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=378770

As for the pump crawl under and look at the RF corner of the case just behind and below the starter to see if you have a mechanical one now.

Слава Україні!
coppercutlass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW here Need a little help. Bringing it back to life Reply with quote

It has a mechanical pump. Is there a reason guys do electric ? Should i just replace the mechanical pump. I know it still works but my concern is the junk fuel that sat in there so long.

As for the tank i dont think i has a leak but it looks like i has a hole that was plugged. I guess i will fill it and see if it leaks over night.

I will just clean the inside rinse and call it done if you guys think the sealer will cause an issue.

I did read many mixed reviews on tank sealers .,i have never used them but i was on the fence. Thanks for the heads up.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW here Need a little help. Bringing it back to life Reply with quote

I wouldn't use a tank sealer and didn't when I cleaned the tank in my 70' bus. It's been a couple of years and no issues with the tank.

There's been some NOS Pierburg fuel pumps for that engine for sale in the classifieds. They are great pumps that will put out the correct pressure and last for a long time.

I run either restored Pierburg fuel pumps with NOS rebuild kits in them or NOS Pierburg fuel pumps. They are excellent.

There's no "new" reproduced fuel pumps sold today that i'd buy.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW here Need a little help. Bringing it back to life Reply with quote

[quote="coppercutlass"]It has a mechanical pump. Is there a reason guys do electric ? Should i just replace the mechanical pump. I know it still works but my concern is the junk fuel that sat in there so long.

Some ditch the mechanical pump, reason is the electric gets the carb(s)
filled with fuel, stopping vapor lock & cranking time when cold. It's the one
modernization that improved my dual carb bus, lights off like a modern
vehicle hot or cold. Other people still swear by camshaft-driven pumps, but
I'm sold on 12 volt pumps forever........personal choice, of course.
coppercutlass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW here Need a little help. Bringing it back to life Reply with quote

Thanks guys. i come from the world of v8's and im all familiar with heat soak issues. My dad is a vw bug guy as he had a few of them in mexico and the issues with the heat soak and the fuel pump makes sense with the stories of long trips and fuel issues he told me of.

My dad used to carry a spare fuel pump and when it would get hot he would swap it out.

I think im going to run a a quart of a seafoam through the fue pump to clear it out as it still worked then throw a pressure gauge on it once we button it u to make sure its up to snuff.

I appreciate all the info fellas.
coppercutlass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW here Need a little help. Bringing it back to life Reply with quote

Just an update and a few questions.

I got the gas tank cleaned out CLR did the trick just need to clean the residue out .

The fuel pump was working so i think im going to pump some sea foam through it to just clear anything in it and run it . I think it will work any input on this idea would be appreciated. Never tried it before but it couldn't hurt

When we removed the tank one of the straps ripped. Does anyone re pop them or am i stuck making my own. Not a big deal as i like fabricating stuff but if its available i like to pursue that option.

Its coming back together in a few weeks and carefully inspecting and hooking things back up im sure the fun questions will keep coming.
coppercutlass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW here Need a little help. Bringing it back to life Reply with quote

Guys i could use a little help. It seems the previous owners of the bus did not have the gas vapor return lines properly set up. I could use some guidance It seems there is a few things missing between the charcoal canister and the hard lines that are not letting me hook it up.

Pictures would be greatly appreciated. The diagrams i have found make no sense to me .
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: NEW here Need a little help. Bringing it back to life Reply with quote

[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
[img]
[/img]

The last one is easy to access thru the DS stop light assembly.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: