Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speedy Sleeve part Number
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Speedy Sleeve part Number Reply with quote

Anyone know what the correct speedy sleeve part number is for a 1973 VW 1.6 motor?

Thanks
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedy Sleeve part Number Reply with quote

?
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedy Sleeve part Number Reply with quote

Huh?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedy Sleeve part Number Reply with quote

A day is not successful unless you learn something new. To that end, please tell us what a "speedy sleeve" is and how it might be used on a Bug. Seriously, I want to know.

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedy Sleeve part Number Reply with quote

Yeah, I was confused by the question too. A quick Google search...
Quote:
This thin-walled sleeve [0,28 mm (0.011 in.)], developed by SKF, is simply pushed in position over the worn area, providing a counterface surface that is optimized for radial shaft seals.

http://www.skf.com/us/products/seals/industrial-se...index.html

Sounds interesting for use on an engine where the journal surface has worn and oil is seeping past the oil seal.

I don't think this will work on the acvw front main seal (I'm guessing this is where you are suggesting it could be used?). Unlike some engines where the rear main seal forms a seal against the crank shaft... VW chose to seal against the surface of the flywheel flange instead of the crank.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In the above diagram, you can see the oil seal (#10) rests against the flange of the flywheel and not the crank.

Prior to installing the flywheel the seal is not in contact with anything on its ID.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Once you install the flywheel you can no longer access to seal to slide a sleeve in. Could you sleeve the flywheel? Maybe, but since you have to take it off to sleeve it, the question would be why not just replace the flywheel and seal with new or reconditioned? The Speedi Sleeve only makes sense when you don't want to tear down the engine/crank.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedy Sleeve part Number Reply with quote

A speedy sleeve is goes over your flywheel where the seal has worn a groove into the shaft. Here is a good video on it. I need one because I have a groove on my flywheel

https://youtu.be/GjIbYMDDwMA

Bama Dave wrote:
A day is not successful unless you learn something new. To that end, please tell us what a "speedy sleeve" is and how it might be used on a Bug. Seriously, I want to know.
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedy Sleeve part Number Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
...the question would be why not just replace the flywheel and seal with new or reconditioned? The Speedi Sleeve only makes sense when you don't want to tear down the engine/crank.

X2. If you are going to go that far, just replace the major parts with proper ones.

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedy Sleeve part Number Reply with quote

These things have been around for years for American cars. Kind of a bandaid fix for worn pulleys, harmonic balancers and flywheels. Another approach ?
Back in the early 80s CB performance sold a double lip seal to address this problem. Guess it didn't work as they went away after a few years.
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedy Sleeve part Number Reply with quote

National 99272 is the part number. About $30 or a new flywheel from RockAuto for $50. Guess I'll go with new flywheel.

Hey, I have a 1300 motor (1966). Would that flywheel fit on the 1600 motor?

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
These things have been around for years for American cars. Kind of a bandaid fix for worn pulleys, harmonic balancers and flywheels. Another approach ?
Back in the early 80s CB performance sold a double lip seal to address this problem. Guess it didn't work as they went away after a few years.
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedy Sleeve part Number Reply with quote

Nah. Not the same. But I did just clean up the flywheel and what I thought was a grove was really just a dirt ring. I think I'm okay with the flywheel. There is no grove. Just going to replace seal.

txasylum wrote:
National 99272 is the part number. About $30 or a new flywheel from RockAuto for $50. Guess I'll go with new flywheel.

Hey, I have a 1300 motor (1966). Would that flywheel fit on the 1600 motor?

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedy Sleeve part Number Reply with quote

speedy sleeves have their place in the world and can last a long time, they can also unseat/tear and cut lip seals and cause premature failure. I use them quite a bit on old industrial equipment where flamespray is not an option and manufacturing a new shaft is cost prohibitive.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedy Sleeve part Number Reply with quote

I have yet to see a flywheel so grooved it is leaking. They are very tough. Usually the seal is leaking because excessive end play because the thrust surface is worn out in the case.

brad
gingergypsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedy Sleeve part Number Reply with quote

couldn't you just get it resurfaced?

Currently residing in yosemite valley with Elizabeth, if you are in the park come say hi!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedy Sleeve part Number Reply with quote

just drive the new seal in to where the lips are in a diferent posiution.....most seals are made to a diferent lip position than the oe seals were to combat this issue. on another note I need one for my pully Shocked . and no mr firing order they are not a basturd fix. well no more than replacing the car when the tires are wore out....or...possiably the air in the tires is wore out replace the car. just throw the car away and buy a new one.
there is also a doubble seal that is sold for vw's. what ever seal you use make sure it is well oiled uppon instlation. a dry seal will last untill the crankshaft is turned then the seal will rip or burn. if you get the doubble seal make sure there is some oil between them to lube the outer seal in the long run...by the eagles...as there leaving hotell california when hell freezzees over.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: