Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuse box wiring-what does your car look like?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Fuse box wiring-what does your car look like? Reply with quote

I hate to drop my fuse box panel door on the dash-inside is a mess. I am going to try and clean it up a bit with zip ties etc, since it is not only embarrassing, but it will be a pain to track down a problem if one occurs. How does your car look when you open that panel?
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Fuse box wiring-what does your car look like? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JayC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Fuse box wiring-what does your car look like? Reply with quote

I'm sure you are looking for a beautiful after picture. I can't seem to find mine at the moment, but rest assured, once I finished rewiring it, it looked exactly the same!

I even had a brand new NOS dash wiring harness. No matter how I tried to get it to look really nice, it never worked. Wiring went all over the place back there. I think it is just a Thing thing...

jay
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Fuse box wiring-what does your car look like? Reply with quote

My left side panel covers lots of non-stock items, but even in stock form, you would need to build a custom wiring harness to have beautifully routed wiring in there. These cars were just not built that way.

One thing I would suggest, if you are so inclined, would be to put 1" lengths of 1/4" heat shrink tubing over all of the female disconnects on the fuse panel. Get all of those terminals clean, and maybe a careful squeeze with a pair of pliers to ensure solid, tight connections.
Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Fuse box wiring-what does your car look like? Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
How does your car look when you open that panel?
A real mess . . .

When time permits, I am trying to figure out issues with my rear tail lights, like, sometime they work, and sometime they do not.

Go to the Technical section of The Samba and download the PDF wiring diagram. I had it enlarged as well as laminated at a local FedEx office.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Fuse box wiring-what does your car look like? Reply with quote

Michael-
Just for fun, and for the tool junkies out there, a "Load Pro" (DVOM leads) is a great tool for diagnosing electrical problems in old cars like ours.

Take a look at this guy's video. He comes off as an arrogant prick, but when he's right, he's right.

Link

Have fun, Mondshine
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuse box wiring-what does your car look like? Reply with quote

I have to admit, I didn't even try.

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuse box wiring-what does your car look like? Reply with quote

I spend about 1 1/2 hours and it still looks like spaghetti. At least all of the fuse box connections are nice and shiny.
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuse box wiring-what does your car look like? Reply with quote

There is a good reason they hide it behind the dash. I am with the others that have a colored mess behind the panel.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: