Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bringing back the shine
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TailTip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Bringing back the shine Reply with quote

I see all the pics about bringing the shine back to their VW's, was wondering what people been using? Pictures would be cool IF you have them, also.

Last edited by TailTip on Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this will prolly be as opinionated as what motor oil to run but most will agree
Meguiars makes some good stuff with waxes and compounds and by going to your local paint and body store you can see what the pros use. talking to a few local body men might help too,.

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ipaintem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the ABSOLUTE BEST use Zaino. Go to their website, zainostore.com and look thru their products and choose what best suits your needs. I have tried tons of polishes and waxes. This is BY FAR the best I have ever used. Z2 pro with the ZFX hardner is awsome, the CS (clear seal) is also a great product.
TailTip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ipaintem wrote:
If you want the ABSOLUTE BEST use Zaino. Go to their website, zainostore.com and look thru their products and choose what best suits your needs. I have tried tons of polishes and waxes. This is BY FAR the best I have ever used. Z2 pro with the ZFX hardner is awsome, the CS (clear seal) is also a great product.

First I've heard of them.

Foxx...I've read a lot of good things about Meguirs, specifically M105. It's nice to hear input on people's favorites, likes, dislikes, and other opinions.

Razz
vpogv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meguiars and 3m are what I have been using for years without an issue. Pick the right polish and a DA polisher and you're set.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bringing back the shine Reply with quote

I've heard good things about Meguiar's No.7 polish. It's been around for about a hunnerd years.

Very light abrasive so it doesn't take off too much dead paint too quickly. I want to use it with a machine. Does anyone have any experience with it?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bringing back the shine Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
I've heard good things about Meguiar's No.7 polish. It's been around for about a hunnerd years.

Very light abrasive so it doesn't take off too much dead paint too quickly. I want to use it with a machine. Does anyone have any experience with it?

When I was 19yo. I worked at a High end detail shop in Newport Beach, Ca.
We used Meguires products including #7 polish.
With a machine. Apply the polish to the surface and spread it about. If you leave it in a puddle and hit it with the polishing pad, it will sling everywhere. Make sure to tape off any edges that may get the paint burned off while polishing the car. Also tape off the fresh air intake louvers. If you don't it will take you a very long time trying to get the spattered polish out of there.
As you polish the paint you can see/feel it removing surface oxidation. Do one quarter at a time. Wipe off the polish left over and admire the renewed surface.

Then hand rub the paint again with #7 to remove swirls caused by the buffing pad. Wipe the hand applied polish and clean every crevice of residual polish.
Final step is to apply a good quality wax over the newly polished surface. And your car will have a great shine. I can't recommend a wax as we had ours formulated exclusively for our shop.

If it was good enough for Ferrari, Rolls Royce, Porsche ect. It's good enough for a beetle.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bringing back the shine Reply with quote

This^ is exactly the info I was looking for. Thank you.

What type of pad for the machine? Does it have a special name? If I was doing the whole thing by hand I'd be using a microfiber, I suspect. I'm not up on the newer materials.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bringing back the shine Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
This^ is exactly the info I was looking for. Thank you.

What type of pad for the machine? Does it have a special name? If I was doing the whole thing by hand I'd be using a microfiber, I suspect. I'm not up on the newer materials.

Well since I'm now 57yo. I am a little fuzzy on the specifics. But the pad was a synthetic hair type pad (Shelgal I believe was the brand name). At the end of my detail career they came out with the foam pads that eliminated swirls in black paint. DON'T use the lambs wool pad for polishing other than cutting in a freshly color sanded paint job.

When you have finished polishing the car. Clean the synthetic pad with some Dawn dish soap, warm water, and a stiff brush working from the center of the pad to the outside. Just grip the pad and use full arm swings to get the water out. Once it will not release any more water from the swinging. Mount it on the polisher and give it a spin until no more water is expelled. Once dry it should be soft and supple, ready for the next time that you need to polish your paint.
Like next year.

In between polishings you can use the #7 applied by hand before you rewax your car to clean up any light oxidation that may occur and replenish the depth of the paint. Remove the #7 with a micro fiber(back in the day, we used baby diapers). Then just apply a thin coat of wax. Remove with the micro fiber cloth and stand back and enjoy the luster Very Happy

Good Luck Scotty!

http://www.coastaltoolsupply.com/product/SCH-375PC...AgJY8P8HAQ

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.

Last edited by 67rustavenger on Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bringing back the shine Reply with quote

A couple of words on technique.

Don't move too fast. The #7 will not have a chance to work into the paint. But don't move too slow either, you can burn through the paint fairly quickly. Get yourself a comfortable rhythm.

For suborn oxidation, you can add a table spoon of "corn starch" to the liquid to give it a little more abrasive to work with. Just add it to the bottle and shake real well before using.

Make sure to loop the buffer cord over your shoulders and down your arm to the buffer. That way the cord is supported by your body. You don't want the cord dragging over the freshly polished surface. It will leave scratches that you have to deal with later.

Good Luck

scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bringing back the shine Reply with quote

Being 57 y.o. myself, and the recipient of a fairly recent quad bypass, I don't want to do this by hand, as I had in the past. So all the info you have presented will be invaluable.

I will post 'before and after' pictures. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: