Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's the best manual to purchase for my 1987 Vanagon?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
0shun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: What's the best manual to purchase for my 1987 Vanagon? Reply with quote

Hello Westy Lovers,

I think it would be wise to have a manual for my 1987 Vanagon (Westy) camper van. I wouldn't necessarily be the one doing the troubleshooting and repair work; however, I'm sure such a manual could be helpful to any mechanic who works on the van, especially those who may not be experts on 1987 Vanagons.

I would appreciate your recommendations about which manual would be best for me to buy, as well as where you suggest I purchase it.

Many Thanks!
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the best manual to purchase for my 1987 Vanagon? Reply with quote

The Bentley is darn good, but the one I got for the 1987 model I own has nearly everything, but fails to have pages and specs and diagrams for the '87 camper specific stuff. It states clearly on the cover that it does have this info.

If you get a Bentley, go for the hard cover one that has all Vanagon models, meaning up through the '91. That should cover the '87 camper unlike mine (Grrrrrr)
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the best manual to purchase for my 1987 Vanagon? Reply with quote

I agree that the Bentley is the manual to have if you're only having one.

I was unaware that the hardcover version covers more than the soft cover version - but then I have only seen the latter.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_15?url=s...11QT1LEIJB

I took mine apart and installed it in a ring binder using only the pages that applied to my van - about half the total manual I suppose as I set aside the pages on Syncros, automatics, Digifant, AFC, Diesels, power steering and years other than 84.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the best manual to purchase for my 1987 Vanagon? Reply with quote

In addition to the Bentley, I also like the Haynes manual. They both have their advantages, but the Haynes often provides more step-by-step info for a particular repair.

Here’s some more info on both manuals:
http://campwestfalia.com/vanagon-workshop-manuals/

Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the best manual to purchase for my 1987 Vanagon? Reply with quote

Ultimately, you need the Bentley. If you aren't seasoned a bit as a mechanic, then the Haynes can help with that.

Bentley ONLY has softcover (Or digital) for any of their manuals in the US, AFAIK. Camper models(Westy only) ARE covered, but not well, IMHO.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the best manual to purchase for my 1987 Vanagon? Reply with quote

smart on you to consider any random mechanic won't know what/where/how w/o a model specific manual.

I always tell our camper club members that the green manual belongs INSIDE the van while it's traveling out of town.. for that in case need..

I would suggest you buy/print out the Digifant fuel injection manual too.

pdf http://cabby-info.com/Files/DigifantProTrainingManual.pdf

or hard copy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=262967

then there's wiring manuals
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-insta...nual&*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0shun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the best manual to purchase for my 1987 Vanagon? Reply with quote

I certainly appreciate everyone's responses ...

Do the Bentley and Haynes manuals NOT cover Digifant fuel injection and wiring (i.e. requiring me to access separate manuals)?

I currently have an electrical problem I need a mechanic to troubleshoot and repair (the headlights are involved), so I was hoping to provide my local mechanic (who apparently does have some experience working on Vanagons) with a manual in the event he needed to refer to it.

Where will I find good information, specs and diagrams for the '87 camper specific stuff, if not in the Bentley or Haynes manuals?

Thanks again, my good Westy friends!
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the best manual to purchase for my 1987 Vanagon? Reply with quote

If I was getting a manual, I would consider the five speed, a bit less common than the fours, but should be nice to have. Some units are geared for small diesel vans, so a ring and pinion gear change may be warrented, the are varieties of them, even the syncro type, so know what your getting. when my stock four speed is worn out, I want to upgrade to a five speed. I want one tnru four closer together, and an over drive fifth. Thats what the van really needs, besides a bigger gas tank.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the best manual to purchase for my 1987 Vanagon? Reply with quote

The Bentley will have the most complete collection of specific instructions and specifications. The issue with the Bentley is that it is written for experienced mechanics. It doesn't hold your hand and tell you every single step of a job. If you need to pull your head, it tells you to remove the intake plenum. It doesn't tell you how to remove the plenum, it expects you to know. Or, you have to find that procedure in a different section. A Hanes manual will take a more step by step approach and is more user friendly. I carry both.

Hans
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the best manual to purchase for my 1987 Vanagon? Reply with quote

RichBenn wrote:

Bentley ONLY has softcover

Okay, so in light of the new information about soft or hard cover available: I only saw a hard cover in the hands of a K-12 School Teacher in Minnesota. It appeared to be a US version, or at least looked to be in US English.

Oh.. wait, here it is:

https://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Vanagon-Official...+hardcover
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: