Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1959 Beetle Upholstery make over
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: 1959 Beetle Upholstery make over Reply with quote

When I bought the "59 three years ago, the upholstery was in good shape but couldn't get used to the smell of it !

I decided to upholster the bug this winter, so have started. Before the purists jump in, I am going with a cost effective two tone vinyl. Not original I know but affordable.

Managed to strip seats from car before the cold weather really hit; need to paint the frames before I can install the seat covers. I'll have the covers done by spring, then paint the frames.

Buckets first:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle Upholstery make over Reply with quote

tomsbuggered wrote:
When I bought the "59 three years ago, the upholstery was in good shape but couldn't get used to the smell of it !

I decided to upholster the bug this winter, so have started. Before the purists jump in, I am going with a cost effective two tone vinyl. Not original I know but affordable.

Managed to strip seats from car before the cold weather really hit; need to paint the frames before I can install the seat covers. I'll have the covers done by spring, then paint the frames.

Buckets first:

Who cares? It's your car. Make it yours. I like things a little different once in a while.

I swear the pic makes it look as though you are trying to cover a bench seat in your 59.

Do what makes you feel good and forget about all of the comments from the "Purist's."

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle Upholstery make over Reply with quote

If you need help, there are excellent videos from Jbugs, WW, and from Chris vallone with detailed instructions. Here is the one from Chris
https://youtu.be/-gQmuj1xkys
1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle Upholstery make over Reply with quote

Thanks guys. The sewing is going quicker than I thought as we are having cold weather so I've been at it a lot.

I have watched a couple videos on install, and have been "fitting up" on the frames as I go along.

Tom
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle Upholstery make over Reply with quote

1958 and 1959 should have two tone seat upholstery. Which colors did you have? Or better yet an image of the old. Just in case, we have been looking for original grey/green upholstery.
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle Upholstery make over Reply with quote

The original door panels were red/grey , the PO had painted them the body color, as well as doing the seats in a red/burgundy ?

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle Upholstery make over Reply with quote

Seat upholstery was definitely not stock.

Door panels are post-1960.

DPO of our 58 started to install black velour seat upholstery and door panels.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle Upholstery make over Reply with quote

Just FYI this is what garnet red beetle would have for interior.

tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle Upholstery make over Reply with quote

I've pretty much got the option of any door panel style I want as I will be upholstering them myself. I'll probably use the door panel style that are on the car, as it will complement the 12" two door seat covers.

Either way , it is going to be nice not having to put up with the musty, grungy smell of the old upholstery !

Tom
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Seat frames painted Reply with quote

Been having above zero weather the last couple days (plus 10 C / 50 F today) I was able to finish rattle can paint on seat frames.

I am ready to install the covers I made, so way ahead on the project.

What is the secret to removing the seat adjuster knobs, which are friction fit for the '59 ?

Pics to follow, as I progress.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle Upholstery make over Reply with quote

Just like any rusty bolt, use a good penetrating oil, and try to wiggle one way and the other till the knob starts to shift. Might take days or even weeks to get it to move. One of those rubber jar opener pads helps to get a good hand grip.
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Knob removal Reply with quote

Was able to get one knob off seat adjuster arm, based on advice here. Will remove the other as well then clean up or replace.

I finished the bucket covers and installed them. I'm 80% happy with fitment, but overall if they stand up to use then for now I will be satisfied.

I will be working on installing the covers on the rear bench this weekend. Sewing on the door panel covers as well.
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Warm day equals progress on the bug upholstery Reply with quote

Went to + 7 C yesterday which is unseasonal weather. I put the battery in the VW and parked in the driveway to work on carpet and upholstery install.

Good to clear some of the seat covers out of my basement. I have finished all the sewing, working on covering the armrests. They look pretty good from 6 feet, and the smell is gone from the bug! Wind came up later but got a good start.

One question: are there supposed to be inserts in the body that accept the clips that hold door panels in place ?

Last edited by tomsbuggered on Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:48 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Warm day equals progress on the bug upholstery Reply with quote

tomsbuggered wrote:
One question: are there supposed to be inserts in the body that accept the clips that hold door panels in place ?

Yes . . . http://www.jbugs.com/product/113857219A.html
And don't forget to seal your doors with a sheet of plastic before you install those "clip boots" like shown in this photo from The Samba Gallery . . .

PS . . . nice job so far . . . keep up the good work! Cool
Alex6373
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle Upholstery make over Reply with quote

Love your choice of colours on the seats well done Laughing Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle Upholstery make over Reply with quote

[quote= Which colors did you have? Or better yet an image of the old. Just in case, we have been looking for original grey/green upholstery.[/quote]

I pulled the covers off the front panels yesterday, they were painted over by the PO. They were grey/green but not sure they would be useable, as they would require removing the paint from them.

I added an armrest to the driver side panel, need to fabricate a bracket for it to fit to the door. I won't get to install the panels until spring. I need to do some work on the rubber seals, and door handles prior to install.

Covering the armrests was a small challenge, but the web is a valuable tool !

tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Upholstery install complete Reply with quote

I finally got the upholstery installed in my '59 Beetle. I did all the sewing myself, so it is not perfect but it is an improvement over what it was.

I installed an armrest on the driver side which required fabbng a bracket. It turned out like factory. The interior smell is gone, and its so bright !

Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle Upholstery make over Reply with quote

Man that is an awesome job and looks amazing! You did SOOO much better than I could've done lol Very Happy

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle Upholstery make over Reply with quote

Pat yourself on the back. It looks really good!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle Upholstery make over complete Reply with quote

Interior pretty much done as far as I'm going to take it.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: