Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need advice. Pulled heads but this is what I see
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice. Pulled heads but this is what I see Reply with quote

The oil could be coming from the stud threads in the case.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice. Pulled heads but this is what I see Reply with quote

Hopefully the case-saver(s) are not contributing to an external leak at those studs. Were the studs wet? The affected combustion chamber looks too wet in that first pic, more so than its neighbor. There could be a second problem concerning oil control. This is a good opportunity to dismantle a little further and measure the usual culprits. When reassembling, seal both cylinder bases on that side in the same way, and check for dead-even tops on the cylinders...to help with sealing to the head. Good Luck!
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice. Pulled heads but this is what I see Reply with quote

I don't think the studs were really wet. They did have some gunk on them, but they weren't dripping wet. The Rings on the affected chamber were not in correct position. When I took the cylinder off the top two rings openings were at 5 and 7 o'clock position. Too close to each other, so I figure that might be the reason it appears to wet, do you think?

I will pull all my studs out, clean them, and reseal them. I had four come out when I took the heads off.

Zwitterkafer wrote:
Hopefully the case-saver(s) are not contributing to an external leak at those studs. Were the studs wet? The affected combustion chamber looks too wet in that first pic, more so than its neighbor. There could be a second problem concerning oil control. This is a good opportunity to dismantle a little further and measure the usual culprits. When reassembling, seal both cylinder bases on that side in the same way, and check for dead-even tops on the cylinders...to help with sealing to the head. Good Luck!
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice. Pulled heads but this is what I see Reply with quote

There seems to be no end play, at least it is not loose. I have new pushrod tubes and seals.

I wasn't really planning on new rings/pistons. The car seemed to run well before I took it apart to fix the oil cooler leak. I just kept going in order to clean up it more.

txoval wrote:
Are you in a hurry? If not, at this point take the time to rebuild the heads and replace the pistons/cylinders

Clean it up the best you can. Remove the head studs, clean the threads and re-seal with thread sealant. Get new pushrod tubes/seals

Check the crank end play while out as well.

I use Loctite 518 or Curil T between the case/cylinders, but the product mentioned above is good too.
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice. Pulled heads but this is what I see Reply with quote

What are you using to seal the studs to the case?

txoval wrote:
Are you in a hurry? If not, at this point take the time to rebuild the heads and replace the pistons/cylinders

Clean it up the best you can. Remove the head studs, clean the threads and re-seal with thread sealant. Get new pushrod tubes/seals

Check the crank end play while out as well.

I use Loctite 518 or Curil T between the case/cylinders, but the product mentioned above is good too.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice. Pulled heads but this is what I see Reply with quote

I use regular thread sealant, just start the sealant 2-3 threads from the tip, leave those first threads dry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice. Pulled heads but this is what I see Reply with quote

That's a loose/leaky head. Clean that head up really well to check for cracks as well as signs where the head has been leaking. If the head is loose and you have a compression leak along with the oil leak, you will see signs of the head being eroded away from hot combustion gases.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice. Pulled heads but this is what I see Reply with quote

leaky rings did NOT cuase the oil leak, even if the rings failed, tne oil should have never leaked out past the head to cylinder seal. the problem is that seal failed. now you may or may have not had leaky ring too.

also for next time, run a compression test and oil pressure test prior to dissassembly, that way you have an idea of other things that may need to be addressed. Id hate to do a top end rebuild on a case with big bearing clearances, low oil pressure.

since the heads are off, might as well look at the valve seats, and cracks (as other has noted)

dont willy nilly install gaskets,over the cylinders without considering what changes that may make to compression ratio.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice. Pulled heads but this is what I see Reply with quote

Thanks.

Question on the gaskets. Are you talking about the gasket for the cylinder to the case? Others say they use other forms of sealant rather than the paper gasket. There are no gaskets from cylinder to the Head.

Just want to clarify.

Again, thanks for all the help from everyone.

bluebus86 wrote:
leaky rings did NOT cuase the oil leak, even if the rings failed, tne oil should have never leaked out past the head to cylinder seal. the problem is that seal failed. now you may or may have not had leaky ring too.

also for next time, run a compression test and oil pressure test prior to dissassembly, that way you have an idea of other things that may need to be addressed. Id hate to do a top end rebuild on a case with big bearing clearances, low oil pressure.

since the heads are off, might as well look at the valve seats, and cracks (as other has noted)

dont willy nilly install gaskets,over the cylinders without considering what changes that may make to compression ratio.

good luck
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice. Pulled heads but this is what I see Reply with quote

txasylum wrote:
Thanks.

Question on the gaskets. Are you talking about the gasket for the cylinder to the case? Others say they use other forms of sealant rather than the paper gasket. There are no gaskets from cylinder to the Head.

Just want to clarify.

Again, thanks for all the help from everyone.

bluebus86 wrote:

good luck

THIN coat of silicone at the base of the cylinders only. The head to cylinder interface are metal-to-metal, no gasket or sealant needed. As I mentioned above, the sealing surface on that one cylinder may have failed, which is why you are getting a leak. That black tar like crap on the head is not just oil, likely combustion gases that have leaked out and collected road crap over the years.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice. Pulled heads but this is what I see Reply with quote

do both cylinders the same so you don't have one with paper and one with silicone.

Never had much faith in a released used set of rings re sealing. You might want to re ring at least that one leaky burnt cylinder.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice. Pulled heads but this is what I see Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
. . . ya gotta be sure that the deck is not been pounded!

txasylum wrote:
Please clarify what you mean by pounded.

If the head(s) are loose, and are run long enough that way, the cylinder(s) can actually move with the piston movement . . . away from the case and then back against the case.
It might be moving only a very slight amount . . . like the thickness of a paper gasket that is partly missing.
If my math is correct, and if the engine is running at 3,000 RPM . . . the cylinder is "pounding" the head and case 50 times per second . . . similar to the action of a battering ram.
The result of all that "pounding" will be heads that need to be "flycut" and a case that needs to be "decked" in order to restore the sealing surfaces for the cylinders.

Post close-up photos . . . after those areas have been cleaned.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice. Pulled heads but this is what I see Reply with quote

txasylum wrote:
I don't have any oven cleaner, but I did use some brake cleaner. I don't see any cracks there.

67rustavenger wrote:
Get some over cleaner and clean the combustion chamber. I think I can see a crack between the intake and exhaust valves.

Good Luck.

I'd check real good. What does the head look like after you cleaned it? I zoomed in on your pics and it looks cracked to me as well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice. Pulled heads but this is what I see Reply with quote

my bet is that the paper gaskets disintegrated so heads became loose

now it's a great time to have the heads checked and possibly change everything that's out of spec, at least exhaust guides and exhaust valves for sure and get a proper valve job
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice. Pulled heads but this is what I see Reply with quote

After everything is clean it may help to lap the top of cylinder to head with valve lapping compound .
Matthew Tolbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice. Pulled heads but this is what I see Reply with quote

also the cracks between the valves is a non issue. its when the crack runs from the valve to the spark plug hole that the head needs replaced.
1965 Notchback S
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice. Pulled heads but this is what I see Reply with quote

Matthew Tolbert wrote:
also the cracks between the valves is a non issue. its when the crack runs from the valve to the spark plug hole that the head needs replaced.

X2- not to worry-- If the non believers complain- just nudge some metal over the crack with a flat punch to hide it.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
jbclem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice. Pulled heads but this is what I see Reply with quote

I agree with Matthew Tolbert that the cracks between the valve seats are usually not an issue. However, I do believe I see some cracks from the spark plug hole to the intake and the exhaust valves in the head side where all the oil gunk is. From the intake to the plug hole I see one or two light cracks, and from the exhaust to the plug hole it's hard to see because of some gunk, but I think I see a real crack starting. Take a rag with some solvent or gasoline and clean around the area I'm talking about. If you can see them, look into the spark plug hole and see if the crack(s) are also going down into the hole.

Because of some shadows it's hard to tell if you have any sign of exhaust leaking across the cylinder to cylinder head sealing area. Did you have any loose head noises, most noticeable when engine is cold and revved up? If you do have signs of leakage, the thing to do is get an identical size used cylinder and use it to lap in the sealing area until you have a nice continuous grey area where the sealing surface is. You don't want to get into fly cutting unless you can't lap it in properly. With fly cutting you have to worry about compression ratios and using shims and it's way more than you want to get into here.

Also, when you install the cylinder back over the piston, if you change the position of the rings (to reposition the gaps) you increase the chance that the rings will have to re-seat themselves. That may happen quickly, or it might not.

The oil accumulation looks like it was blow up from below and accumulated around the base of the cylinder. It's a lot of gunk so I'd guess it's either from a real noticeable leak or it's been accumulating for a long time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: