Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 Riviera - Busaroo
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
schmittie120
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Did you use the regeared transmission from Benco? I am thinking about using that on my swap but have not found anyone with a 2.2 using it.
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

schmittie120 wrote:
Did you use the regeared transmission from Benco? I am thinking about using that on my swap but have not found anyone with a 2.2 using it.

Yes, I did. I told them what engine I was using and went with their reccomendations.

1st: 3.80
2nd: 2.06
3rd: 1.14
4th: 0.70
4.57 r&p
Welded gears, hard key, chromoly pinion nut, welded cross shaft.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

I don't know how I missed this thread but I love the bus and I love the high standard to which you have "restored" and converted it. Really nice, I would like to do one like this some day and make it my daily or semi daily driver.
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Pinetops wrote:
I don't know how I missed this thread but I love the bus and I love the high standard to which you have "restored" and converted it. Really nice, I would like to do one like this some day and make it my daily or semi daily driver.

Thanks for the kind words Pinetops!

Next comes the interior! Stay tuned for more fun. I have a full late westy cabinet set that will be getting refurbished(slightly modified) and installed and a nice list of other to do items.
schmittie120
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Ives676 wrote:
schmittie120 wrote:

Yes, I did. I told them what engine I was using and went with their reccomendations.

1st: 3.80
2nd: 2.06
3rd: 1.14
4th: 0.70
4.57 r&p
Welded gears, hard key, chromoly pinion nut, welded cross shaft.

Would you recommend going with what they suggested? I am about to place my order and for now a subarugears 5 speed is not in the cards.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Ives676 wrote:

For me the re-geared/rebuilt transmission leaves me unhappy. 1st-3rd are fine but 4th is way to high of a gear. It is like an overdrive and has no power at all. I had to anticipate any hills or grades and speed up to make it halfway or so in 4th and then downshift to 3rd around 45mph which would let me accelerate back up to 55 or 60. By the time I hit 60 the rpms are about 4k which makes the little motor sound like it is just screaming.

So you are hitting 4K in 3rd? No power in 4th? That seems very much the opposite of just about everything I have read/heard about installing a Subaru in a bus. Something doesn't seem right, and I ain't talking about the tranny gearing.
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Ives676 wrote:

For me the re-geared/rebuilt transmission leaves me unhappy. 1st-3rd are fine but 4th is way to high of a gear. It is like an overdrive and has no power at all. I had to anticipate any hills or grades and speed up to make it halfway or so in 4th and then downshift to 3rd around 45mph which would let me accelerate back up to 55 or 60. By the time I hit 60 the rpms are about 4k which makes the little motor sound like it is just screaming.

So you are hitting 4K in 3rd? No power in 4th? That seems very much the opposite of just about everything I have read/heard about installing a Subaru in a bus. Something doesn't seem right, and I ain't talking about the tranny gearing.

4k rpms in 3rd at 60mph. Then in 4th it is like an overdrive. I can continue to accelerate in 4th to 70 or 80 before I let off because it starts to feel sketchy. I have no power in 4th if I shift into 4th around 50mph, it just bogs down and slowly accelerates.
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

I gave in to peer pressure and installed a Butty's Bits throttle kit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Was the transmission and/or power range thru all the gears figured out? Is this the limitations of gearing only 3rd and 4th of the stock transaxle?
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Nothing has been done with the transmission. It drives fine in 1st through 3rd around town. Once I get on the highway I use 4th as an overdrive cruising gear.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

How do you like the butty's bits kit?
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Pinetops wrote:
How do you like the butty's bits kit?

The Butty's Bits kit feels way nicer than stock. It was very easy to install.

I still need to replace the pedal spring and clean and lube the pedal pin to check that off my list.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Nice

I've been on the fence about getting one for my bus, seems like a great "piece of kit" as the Brits say.
Mild-Core
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Ives676 wrote:
Nothing has been done with the transmission. It drives fine in 1st through 3rd around town. Once I get on the highway I use 4th as an overdrive cruising gear.

I have a Benco 091 with the same gearing and an EJ22 swap in my '71 deluxe bus. I don't have any issues pulling in 4th gear around town or otherwise. I wonder if it's just the difference in our tire diameters (I'm running 175/70r14) and the weight of the camper interior? Or maybe just the tires?

Super cool rig man, I love the color choice and the tire setup. I have considered raising mine back up to run tires like those, it looks killer and it's probably more fun to drive cause you can run over shit lol.
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Mild-Core wrote:
Ives676 wrote:

I have a Benco 091 with the same gearing and an EJ22 swap in my '71 deluxe bus. I don't have any issues pulling in 4th gear around town or otherwise. I wonder if it's just the difference in our tire diameters (I'm running 175/70r14) and the weight of the camper interior? Or maybe just the tires?

Super cool rig man, I love the color choice and the tire setup. I have considered raising mine back up to run tires like those, it looks killer and it's probably more fun to drive cause you can run over shit lol.

Thanks Mild-Core. It's definitely been a ton of work that is finally paying off. I still have so much more to do. I am hoping to get a house with a garage or shop where I can actually lay out all of the parts and work on things in a logical order. Right now the whole back of the bus is filled with the westy cabinets, interior panels, and boxes.I would like to start working on the westy cabinets laminate soon.
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Thrilled to see that at least two other folks have taken the plunge with the Champion Radiator.

I am still hauling myself up by my bootlaces, but I'm moving forward.
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

May I ask how you tied your return line into your existing gas tank?
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Convoy wrote:
May I ask how you tied your return line into your existing gas tank?

I had to tap the tank. I ran a return line to the top of the tank near the sending unit and put a fuel line down into the tank.
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

I haven't posted anything in a long time. I'm still slowly working on the bus. Mostly trying to stay motivated to get the interior cabinets fixed and adding new cherry cabinet laminate. This is the laminate I found that was closest to the original:

https://procabinetsupply.com/products/laminate-she...0255802055

I disassembled the cabinets and carefully removed all of the old laminate with a heat gun and large scrapers to scoot between the wood and the laminate. I found that scoring the new laminate was the best way to cut it. I used this Olfa Laminate scorer with great success after trying jigsaws, utility knives, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UHUZ5U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Between using the old laminate as a template, the Olfa blade, and a metal straight edge I finally got nice accurate cuts. Anything that overhangs the cabinet gets trimmed with a flush cut router bit.

You can see that the sink cabinet was pretty rough. I bought this from a person parting out a westy in Colorado a few years ago. Someone tried to carry the cabinet by grabbing the top and the glue was so ancient that the top just popped off. I had to go in and clean up all the joints and re-glue everything back together. The cabinet also had lots of stains on the interior and the old laminate was very sun faded, chipped, cracked, and gross. I taped any places that had a crack or chip to minimize any more damage as I removed the old laminate.

Here is where I am as of this weekend.

I plan to add a slide out drawer where the spare tire would normally be stored.

I have also been working on the closet at the same time. Not sure if that is a good idea or not. Seems like I have parts scattered everywhere. Luckily I labeled everything and took pictures as I went. I got bored waiting for glue and contact cement to dry so I am trying to do some of the steps on both cabinets at the same time. I still need to order some black trim pieces to replace what was missing.
During gluing and fixing:

After:

I have also been adding matching cherry to the walls and bulkheads as I go. Lots of tedious tracing, cutting, fitting, and gluing.

I painted the ceiling of the poptop anticipating getting the new canvas installed and I added polyurethane on all of the replacement wood for the upstairs bed platform. Still checking things off my list I'm just slow. I have also added LED lights under the dash and in the dome lights that are wired to the door switches.
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Riviera - Busaroo Reply with quote

Went for a nice Sunday drive in the countryside. Once we were back home and with the help of my wife we installed the pop-top canvas. It is tacked in with enough staples to be in the correct spot.

I ran out of staples and I ordered another tack strip to put around the bottom perimeter. I will finish stapling the top and add the tack strip and staples to the bottom soon to finish it up. Then I need to re-cover all of the vinyl trim pieces that cover the wood and staples on the exterior and interior.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: