Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

STARTING, SEALED Battery under passenger seat options
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: STARTING, SEALED Battery under passenger seat options Reply with quote

Anybody runnin a sealed battery under passenger seat in a westy?

My sheet metal was butchered by PO getting in a stock group 41 and at that point, I'm venting fumes in the cabin.

Any previous experience is appreciated. If you have a sealed battery, please give the brand/model/group# please.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: STARTING, SEALED Battery under passenger seat options Reply with quote

I run an Optima Yellow Top in my van. As long as you don't have the original metal flap mounted, you shouldn't have any issues....
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: STARTING, SEALED Battery under passenger seat options Reply with quote

Would you mind grabbing me the group number or picture, both? The website does not directly identify anything fitting our vehicles. My last Red Top gave me 13 yr service in my Jeep..so I'm a fan Smile
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: STARTING, SEALED Battery under passenger seat options Reply with quote

...and it won't. These are generic fit batteries, that happen to be made real well.
Our vans use a Group 41 battery, and I have found the 34/78 battery to fit W & L just fine ( it IS a little too tall, hence the battery flap comment).

I also found that removing the top terminals and using the side terminals allowed me to swivel my seat around, too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: STARTING, SEALED Battery under passenger seat options Reply with quote

Ah. Sorry. Sometimes I'll read only what I want to I guess...

I do want to keep that plate there to step on it, etc. maybe somebody else will chime in.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: STARTING, SEALED Battery under passenger seat options Reply with quote

My van has a Group 41 from AAA.

My Cabriolet also takes a 41, but the AAA guy didn't have one on his truck. He installed a Group 47 (aka H4), which is slightly smaller (length-wise), but with the same CCA's. I actually prefer the 47 in my Cabriolet and will probably give it a try when the van's finally croaks (it's now 5 years old).
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: STARTING, SEALED Battery under passenger seat options Reply with quote

What brand do they provide you with? I've only got roadside assistance anyways.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: STARTING, SEALED Battery under passenger seat options Reply with quote

I've had great results using a pair of Odyssey PC1200 batteries for both starting and auxiliary. Due to the configuration of our vans' ground and positive wire locations, they have the positive/negative posts set up opposite one another. IIRC the starting battery is designated "PC1200L" for left post positive while the auxiliary is the standard PC1200. They are positioned on their sides with the terminals towards the front of the van, and a heavy piece of rubber sheet preventing any potential contact with the sheet metal. With this setup, the lid for the starter fits nicely. It does require you to change from SAE terminal ends on the van's wiring to smaller ring terminals, but that's a small price to pay. In my opinion, these are some of the finest batteries (AGM design) made today, better even than the Optima red top (gel design) I also used in a Jeep for a decade.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: STARTING, SEALED Battery under passenger seat options Reply with quote

Just build the battery box deeper and put in a Group 24

(driver side but same thing)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: STARTING, SEALED Battery under passenger seat options Reply with quote

JDub113 wrote:
Anybody runnin a sealed battery under passenger seat in a westy?

My sheet metal was butchered by PO getting in a stock group 41 and at that point, I'm venting fumes in the cabin.

Any previous experience is appreciated. If you have a sealed battery, please give the brand/model/group# please.

id not worry about battery fumes, VW has been venting the fumes inside cars since the first bug had the battery under the rear seat, vented into the cockpit. The stock vanagon also vents fumes into the cockpit. A battery properly charged does not produce much in fumes. If your smelling battery fumes, it would be sulfuric acid fumes as the hydrogen fumes are odorless. the sulfuric fumes are an indication of over heating of the battery, from improper charging or battery damage.
Check out the battery condition and charging system for defects, as you should not be experiencing fumes in the cockpit.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: STARTING, SEALED Battery under passenger seat options Reply with quote

JDub113 wrote:
What brand do they provide you with? I've only got roadside assistance anyways.

They supply AAA-branded batteries, made by one of the big three battery manufacturers (I want to say Johnson Controls, but don't know for sure).

Battery service is part of their roadside assistance, and you do pay for the battery (i.e. it's not free Wink ; they simply come to you and do all the testing, and sell you a battery if you need/want one). I had AAA come out to my house 5 years ago because I was leaving on a road trip and the van's battery was dead. I could not -- no way, no how -- get the dead Interstate out, so I had AAA do it instead... and it took the really nice guy an hour to get the battery out. Laughing

Anyway, the main reason for my previous post, was to mention the Group 47 size.

bluebus86 wrote:
The stock vanagon also vents fumes into the cockpit.

The OP has a Westy. Westies have an outside vent system for the main battery box.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: STARTING, SEALED Battery under passenger seat options Reply with quote

No fumes.. just for safety sake and no leaks. Battery box is spotless.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: STARTING, SEALED Battery under passenger seat options Reply with quote

JDub113 wrote:
No fumes.. just for safety sake and no leaks. Battery box is spotless.

Then you have no worries.
Aside from, you know, Group 41 batteries.... Rolling Eyes
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: STARTING, SEALED Battery under passenger seat options Reply with quote

Good call on the odyssey batteries. I think I would want at least 650cca. I'll search some more. Thanks man
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: STARTING, SEALED Battery under passenger seat options Reply with quote

Go see the thread on four ruined sealed batteries and think this through carefully...
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: STARTING, SEALED Battery under passenger seat options Reply with quote

Do you have more info? Not finding anything. Not sure why there would be a difference.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: STARTING, SEALED Battery under passenger seat options Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Go see the thread on four ruined sealed batteries and think this through carefully...

I think this is the one.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630225

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: STARTING, SEALED Battery under passenger seat options Reply with quote

Thanks dobryan - thats the one.

Upshot - you need to keep charge rate on sealed batteries down, about 5 Amps or less, or risk overheating them and killing them
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: STARTING, SEALED Battery under passenger seat options Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, but (by all means tell me if I'm wrong) this doesn't apply here?

Or when I'm plugged in 110v at a campsite, it's possible to have an issue? I don't understand.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: STARTING, SEALED Battery under passenger seat options Reply with quote

If you keep,the sealed battery isolated from the alternator and wire a low amp charger to the 110 AC , you will be fine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: