Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Standard Bug - ongoing fixes
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: 1973 Standard Bug - ongoing fixes Reply with quote

Rather than continuing to add different threads about my 73 Beetle, I figure I'll just consolidate my adventure in one thread. I'll link my other threads related to the bug here just so I can keep them straight. lol.

Current (last summer) picture of the bug in question.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now onto the current issue. I am installing a Vintage Speed stainless steel muffler, but found out I need to replace the heat exchangers first. They both have broken free near the exhaust mounts. I removed the tin and found (or didn't find) what I think should be a thermostat:

I'm hoping that little missing piece is why the engine idles rough (or not at all) until it's warmed up. I verified that I have the flaps on the doghouse shroud, and the metal rod that I think attaches to the thermostat moves them - at least it feels like it does.

Summary of all threads on my bug are listed, mostly so I can reference them if a new issue pops up.

Rear brake refresh - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=414313&highlight=
Sticky throttle - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=415874&highlight=
Bouncy ride - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412830&highlight=
12v power adapter - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=448007&highlight=
One year only 73 seat fix - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=652898&highlight=
Iginition cylinder replacement - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667339&highlight=
Starter replacement - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=674714&highlight=
Broken horn wire in steering wheel - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=675092&highlight=
Stove Pipe question - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=675645&highlight=

Last edited by peecee69 on Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Standard Bug - ongoing fixes Reply with quote

Yep! The thermo-stat threads on the end of that rod and is held in place by the bracket. It does affect the start and warm up of your cold engine. Get one and be happy that's all you need.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Standard Bug - ongoing fixes Reply with quote

Hi.
Yes you are missing the thermostat, and it is easily replaceable.
Prior to buying and replacing the thermostat, as previously stated, check the function of the flaps movement and assure they spring back to the open position. This is very important. Folks with years of experience here can check them blindfolded. You might wish to utilize two sets of eyes here. One operating the flaps mechanism from the engine compartment and the other eyeballing the movement of the rod sitting in the brkt. The rod's movement should be approx. 1/2" to 1" of total unrestricted movement.

The thermostat and the pre-heat function of the air filter are not functioning components in the starting of a cold engine. They are both for warm up and drivability after the initial start up til warmed up.

Hope this helps, Bill.
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Standard Bug - ongoing fixes Reply with quote

that bug looks great, very sharp!
Comment on the thermostat linkage rod. I had one that was slightly mis-bent. Me and Mr Duncan both tried to get it back into original shape but I finally gave up and bought another oem rod lol. Its very tight going up thru the engine and you need to be sure it does not bind. I think recommendation here is to find good used oem thermo, in my case I bought new oem style from awesome powdercoating. Has worked great.
Feel free to look at my build if it can be of help.
Oh and as mentioned all of the flaps and linkages need to be in good shape and moving freely.
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Standard Bug - ongoing fixes Reply with quote

TX-73 wrote:
that bug looks great, very sharp!
Comment on the thermostat linkage rod. I had one that was slightly mis-bent. Me and Mr Duncan both tried to get it back into original shape but I finally gave up and bought another oem rod lol. Its very tight going up thru the engine and you need to be sure it does not bind. I think recommendation here is to find good used oem thermo, in my case I bought new oem style from awesome powdercoating. Has worked great.
Feel free to look at my build if it can be of help.
Oh and as mentioned all of the flaps and linkages need to be in good shape and moving freely.

Thanks! Actually, following your build got me completely back into this little bug. It had been neglected for about 5-8 years until last summer. Washed, waxed, and started driving it. Then things started breaking. That made me realize that I needed to do a lot of little things to get it running reliably again.

Now the fun is in trying to get the intake manifold pre-heat tubes attached to my new Vintage Speed exhaust. They're off by about 1/4" right now, and I can't seem to get them lined up. I'm not sure if I can bend the pre-heat tubes to get them to line up, because they seem fairly fixed in their position. There is no adjustment on the VS pre-heat risers.

Left:

Right:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Standard Bug - ongoing fixes Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
Hi.
Yes you are missing the thermostat, and it is easily replaceable.
Prior to buying and replacing the thermostat, as previously stated, check the function of the flaps movement and assure they spring back to the open position. This is very important. Folks with years of experience here can check them blindfolded. You might wish to utilize two sets of eyes here. One operating the flaps mechanism from the engine compartment and the other eyeballing the movement of the rod sitting in the brkt. The rod's movement should be approx. 1/2" to 1" of total unrestricted movement.

The thermostat and the pre-heat function of the air filter are not functioning components in the starting of a cold engine. They are both for warm up and drivability after the initial start up til warmed up.

Hope this helps, Bill.

Definitely helps. Thanks! The flaps move freely and spring back to open position. The bracket is just hanging there, and when I pull it, I can hear the flaps moving and they pop back to open when I let the rod pull my hand up. I think I have a thermostat in my spare parts stash. So I'll probably be installing that tonight or tomorrow, once I get this darn VS exhaust lined up.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Standard Bug - ongoing fixes Reply with quote

Although it's been about 15 years since I last built an engine with a stock single carb intake manifold (dual carbs otherwise), I used long-handle slip joint pliers in one hand to squeeze the manifold flange over the muffler flange. The other hand threaded the M6 bolt through the first hole. The longer the pliers' handle, the easier it is due to leverage. Make certain you have the small diamond-shaped gasket in place between the flanges. Best to apply a decent dab of anti-seize grease to the bolt thread so that it comes apart easier in the future. Once you have the first bolt started and about half way down, get the other bolt in. Tighten both bolts down, then final-torque. Don't tighten either any more than about 8 ft.lb. or what the repair manual states.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Standard Bug - ongoing fixes Reply with quote

Hi. Regarding the alignment of the exhaust to the intake manifold, it isn't as bad as many might be. Seen worse. If you loosen the intake manifold it definitely makes aligning items up a bit easier. Tool companies actually make long punches designated as aligning tools, and they do work. Assure the threads are nice and clean and use the best hardware you can buy for this.

As far as the thermostat look at the Bentley for correct adjustment. The basic premise here is to assure the flaps are fully open when the thermostat is fully expanded. It does not matter how far the flaps are closed when the engine is cold. Finally, the top of the thermostat has a protruding shank, about 1/4" in dia and an inch long. Make sure this shank does not rub on the opening of the thermostat brkt.

Hope this helps, Bill.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Standard Bug - ongoing fixes Reply with quote

Like the wheels on the car, my 72 has them and my 73 has marathon wheels. You are doing it right...take your time.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Standard Bug - ongoing fixes Reply with quote

Keeping track of the work I'm doing on this little ride.

Finally got the pre-heat manifolds lined up and muffler in. Still have a leak somewhere and it's driving me nuts. Everything that I can tighten and line up is correct, yet it still sounds like chitty chitty bang bang.

I wired up some Hella Supertone horns so people will actually hear me when I beep. They're fairly loud. Discovered I need a horn bracket - put up a WTB ad for that.

Next up, sanding and painting the bumper brackets.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Standard Bug - ongoing fixes Reply with quote

Hi. Are you going to install a relay for the multiple horns?
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Standard Bug - ongoing fixes Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
Hi. Are you going to install a relay for the multiple horns?

Yep! It came with a 12v relay with 30, 85, 86, & 87 connections. Wasn't that difficult, and didn't hack any of the factory wiring to do it. Other than my original horn no longer working, the other issue was the wire that was connected to the ring inside the steering wheel wasn't connected. I had just fixed a break about 1/2" below the connection to the horn button last week, and didn't realize that the wire was barely connected to the ring.
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Standard Bug - ongoing fixes Reply with quote

Has anyone used a Sapphire radio to drive an aftermarket amp through a relay? I want to keep the look of a factory radio, but don't need it for the actual sound, just to use it as a power switch for another accessory.

Specifically, I want to connect an ipod directly to an amplifier without a head unit. I don't want the amp on all the time, and would rather not install a separate switch. If I can use a sapphire to switch the amp on and off, that would be great.

I'm open to other ideas as well. Thanks!
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Standard Bug - ongoing fixes Reply with quote

I'm trying to fix my original Motorola Sapphire XIV AM radio. I am hoping someone here knows what bulb I need for this bit of electronic history. lol

peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Standard Bug - ongoing fixes Reply with quote

I am trying to locate the source for power on the original fuse box. Both the wiring diagram and my owner's manual say fuse 7 is for accessories. I'm guessing that's a radio. There is nothing plugged in on the backside to provide power along the 12v rail, so I'm not sure where else to go.

Originally, the radio above was installed in this bug. However, it stopped working in about 1990, and I pulled it out then, but had the sense to put it aside if I ever got the inspiration to fix it. Well, that day has come. lol

I have no clue where it was plugged in. There are 4 wires - two for the speaker, one for ground (light beige with a female connector and a male "piggy back" connector) and a fused black wire (female connector).
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Standard Bug - ongoing fixes Reply with quote

I found an acceptable replacement for the light above that works perfect in my radio. After comparing with 7 other Sapphires I have in various states of disrepair, the bulb I found fits all of them and works perfectly. 6 of the radios had bulbs that were burned out. The bulb I found that drops right in as a great replacement is BA9SF-WW-12AC from https://www.superbrightleds.com
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Standard Bug - ongoing fixes Reply with quote

Decided I had enough of the lack of a package tray liner. I saw a thread on here about one, so finally broke down and went out this morning and bought a big TV to get cardboard big enough to draw the pattern. I found a 75" on scratch and dent for $700 at my local Microcenter. I know, sad excuse. lol.

Anyway, I started measuring and cut it out, popped the bonnet, and realized the fresh air box was undone. So, I started to put that back, but I realized I disconnected it because I wanted to replace my "replacement" Sapphire XIV with the original Sapphire XVIII that Lorenzo Parra modifed for bluetooth and other modern conveniences. I installed it, but when I tried to start up the bug, there was no juice. So, I ran out and got a new battery. Came back, installed it. tested it (works great!), put the fresh air box back in, and started cutting out the liner. I should have that finished tomorrow. Maybe I'll remember to take a picture of the finished product. haha.

Tonight my daughter and I ate popcorn and watched It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown on the new TV. Funny watching a standard def video on a giant TV. It looks REALLY bad.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: