Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

jmarshall024 wrote:
Fantastic work on this! I have a 59 convertible. I hope I can someday do something similar to mine.

Do you have any threads showing the process you're using to restore these original parts to like new condition - i.e. tools used, rubbing compounds etc?

Thank you. Most of the credit goes to the Samba community, so plagiarism has to be my biggest talent, and the "Samba Forms" with it's insanely brillent talent pool has been my main source of knowledge. So I urge anyone to start there first. I am a amateur at best, but if you peruse this thread, you may find a few processes that maybe appealing to you.

I wish my vert was a 59' - great year for vets - plus my DOB.

TOOLS:
My 2 cents on the top 6 tools that are needed to restore original parts:

1) Patience. I've learned this from Bob D. Thanks Bob.

2) Bentley shop manual. The BIBLE is a must especially a vert.

3) Awesome tools.

4) A floor grinder with a fine wire wheel on one side, and a fine buffing wheel on the other side using Flitz metal polish. These do most of the heavy lifting.

5) Sharkhide metal protection. For treating all raw metal. Wipe on, wipe off, you're done, and no rust or oxidation for years.

6) Dupli-color Vinyl & Fabric Specialty coating in Black simi-gloss. Great for cleaning up anything rubber, plastic, vinyl, cardboard, wire loom housings, tires, etc. Try it a orig. wire cover and the trunk liner. The trick is doing very light coats.
'67 Bus / Sundial - '59 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

vwnut1 wrote:
Beautiful!!!

Time to enjoy or on to the next VW project? To some the journey is more enjoyable than the destination:)

Thanks for the nod and mostly stopping by Buddy. You got it right, I'm on the short list with a week and a half of work, then "Wolfie" goes to the top shop to wrap-up the build. Then it's Coffee and cars this car season.

It's looking like a 23 window maybe the next project. I was approached by the guy who purchased the last build. We'll see how it shakes out.

I'm more of a journey guy for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

COLOR CHANGE ON SUN VISOR.
Dupli-color Vinyl & Fabric Specialty coating works good only using 3 to 4 very light coats. Dries completely in 30 mins. / Heavy coats looks to shiny and will change the look of the texture. - not good. / End result: Worth the while.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VISOR SCREWS
BEFORE (Right) & AFTER (After buffing)

REAR DECKLID SPRING CLEAN UP

Wire wheeled, dremaled with mini wire wheel, then Sharhide for rust prevention.
It will stay in raw metal. Doesn't it look like someone giving half a peace sign?

cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

SS WINDOW SCRAPER MOLDINGS & RUBBERS ROUND 2

The SS moldings from WW have a nicer finish and look compared to the aluminium ones I replaced. Anawalt had this unique hole punch which worked great on punching the window scraper rubbers. The WCM scraper rubbers have a smoother and cleaner texture than the prior ones.

FOG LAMPS

The mounting brackets I spotted on Ebay (leap of faith) and was surprised how good the chrome was and fit is. Great item for 54 bucks.

cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

COLOR SANDED CAR - PAINTED CALIPERS/WIPERS/MISC. RUBBER - TIDY-UP HEADLIGHT PIG TAILS- AND MISC. ASSEMBLY

Post cleaned up & painting.

AFTERMARKET INT. LIGHT.

cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

OG EMBLEM CLEAN UP - 3 LB. 12 OZ. BATTERY - ACCESSORY LIGHT INSTALLED.

Cleaned up a OG hood crest from a '58, along with the original Karmann emblem which is more soulful than the aftermarket one.

BEFORE

AFTER

3 LB. 12 OZ. BATTERY

This lithium battery is actually for a motorcycle which has 40 more cold cranking amps than my current battery.

ACCESSORY LIGHT

The LED footwell light is wired into the door trigger switches.

vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Details, details, details. Immaculate build, looks like your on the 99 yard line and just about finished.
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

WORK IN PROGRESS

Bluetooth with 150 watt 2 channel Amp & Light weight battery.

AUDIO

The "retrosound" radio died, and now I'm on the hunt for a period correct radio for cosmetic purposes only, because no one can hear a factory radio with the top down. Since it's important to hear tunes with clarity a bluetooth will be wired into a 2 channel amp then hidden under the passenger seat and vailed behind '67 seat skirts, which will be painted semigloss black.

BATTERY

This lithium battery is 35 lbs. lighter than the one it replace, plus it has 40 more cold cranking amps, and doesn't contain acid. Supposedly it can be mounted upside down. I fab'd up and polished a battery hold down, which came out okay. I'm searching for a wireless remote (key fob) battery kill switch to save battery life and be useful as a anti-theft device.

luftkuhlers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

i recommend to isolate the heating pipes under the rear seat.
they can get very hot. one is close to the battery.

https://goo.gl/images/3FNLB6
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

luftkuhlers wrote:

Thanks luftkuhlers. If I ever install heater boxes, I'll be sure to insulate the pipes. What did you use on your build?
luftkuhlers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

cjargo wrote:
luftkuhlers wrote:

Thanks luftkuhlers. If I ever install heater boxes, I'll be sure to insulate the pipes. What did you use on your build?

Ah ok, i didn't know if heating is installed.
Fortunately i've got some very good used pipes even with the original insulation still around them (like in the pic).
Here in Germany, these are some of the few parts, which are really hard to find. even no repros etc.

But i've closed the Y-branch which goes out under the rear seat.
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

luftkuhlers wrote:
cjargo wrote:
luftkuhlers wrote:

Ah ok, i didn't know if heating is installed.
Fortunately i've got some very good used pipes even with the original insulation still around them (like in the pic).
Here in Germany, these are some of the few parts, which are really hard to find. even no repros etc.

But i've closed the Y-branch which goes out under the rear seat.

You got me thinking I should cap-off the Y-pipe as a preventive measure. Does anyone make the cap, if not it's fairly easy to fab the caps.
luftkuhlers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

cjargo wrote:

You got me thinking I should cap-off the Y-pipe as a preventive measure. Does anyone make the cap, if not it's fairly easy to fab the caps.

i've cut the y-pipe off 2inches and welded a round metal sheet as a cap on it, painted it with "brake drum color", then i fixed the pipe on its connections with windscreen adhesive, because it's fairly heat resistant. i can upload a pic at weekend if you want.
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

NEW FIND / BOSCH HORN

I found this old horn at a vintage BMW motorcycle shop. SCORE! And it works (Good note).
The first two pix are before it was detailed. The detail on the washer is so German in the best way. The last picture is where I'm thinking of mounting it since it fits the theme. I considered the fanfare horns, but the cool looking Bosch ones are a bit pricy.

cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

luftkuhlers wrote:
cjargo wrote:

i've cut the y-pipe off 2inches and welded a round metal sheet as a cap on it, painted it with "brake drum color", then i fixed the pipe on its connections with windscreen adhesive, because it's fairly heat resistant. i can upload a pic at weekend if you want.

Sounds thoughtfully engineered and tastefully done. Please upload a picture. Another member has a cool idea for the non welder's and used a rubber plug with a wing nut that expands the diameter for a water tight fit. Both are excellent solutions. As usual thanks for weighing in.
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

HEADER DETAIL. I'M IN NEED OF SOME ADVICE WITH THE TOP ADJUSTMENT. THE 1/4 WINDOW GAP IS A BIT JANKY WITH THE TOP FRAME. THE LAST PHOTO HAS THE JANKY DETAILS.

bugmandave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

All of that will change with the tension from the top cover
'63 Karmann Cabriolet L54 Poppy Red
All_talk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Yep, tension from the straps/top should square up the gaps. If you pull back on the main bow with fair amount of force (like the straps will) you should get a good idea of where things will end up.

Gary
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

All_talk wrote:
Yep, tension from the straps/top should square up the gaps. If you pull back on the main bow with fair amount of force (like the straps will) you should get a good idea of where things will end up.

Gary

Hello Gary. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a go today.
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Chris, now looking at your pics, what Gary said is correct... with tension wire tension set correctly it should take care of itself ! What a mess you had ! Great determination, once again well done . Bob
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: