Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sawzall Frenzy
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Sawzall Frenzy Reply with quote

It seems to me, lately, that there have been many viable VW's being offered up to "cut" whatever you need whether it be bug, bus, ect. I know the mentality back in the day was a bit different, but nowadays the pond is drying up on supplies of these German cars. I have always been one to try and save another one from the crusher if it's at all possible. Just today, I saw a rust free '72 Westy offered to be cut up. Is it just for the quick buck? I know the difficulty of trying to find everything you need for some vehicles that have been stripped, but let's not be so quick to perform metal surgeries.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Sawzall Frenzy Reply with quote

Did you see it personally up close?......I ask...because just saying somethjng looks sound and/or dent free from a CL or ebay ad.....does not mean that is not a rolling rust bucket, with everything worn out, engine shot or missing, trans shot or missing.....a trashed interior and loads of rat infested wiring hacks.

Even if the body is in rust free shape....if every system on it is inoperable...cant be driven....must be trailered....or a lot is missing.....it can sit for years in your yard with a price tag on it an no one will buy it because its just too much work to get driveable.

A combination of issues like that is why many owners of vehicles that do not sell....opt to cut them up to sell the parts to keep others on the road......that....and if the vehicle has no title....in some cases its just easier to cut it up for parts. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Sawzall Frenzy Reply with quote

".in some cases its just easier to cut it up for parts. Ray" Exactly my point, easier for the person, harder on the hobby.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Sawzall Frenzy Reply with quote

How do you figure it is harder on the hobby when someone offers to cut up a parts car to save some?
First people bitch about them rotting away and refusing to do anything with them now they bitch when one is offered to be cut up for parts Rolling Eyes
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Sawzall Frenzy Reply with quote

Sometimes obtaining title is such a clusterf*ck that it's not worth the effort for a shell, and that vehicle might be gone, but others get revived with it's parts.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Sawzall Frenzy Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
How do you figure it is harder on the hobby when someone offers to cut up a parts car to save some?
First people bitch about them rotting away and refusing to do anything with them now they bitch when one is offered to be cut up for parts Rolling Eyes

See....I'm with you on this. There are people like this too!

I know some people that are so fu*ked and ratted out that they are just not worth the effort!

Why cant we just cut them up for parts ....to keep some of the worthy ones going?......I mean damn....you dont even need a title!

A Sawzall...a garden hose....bucket of bleach......its all good in the end...... Wink

Ray
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Sawzall Frenzy Reply with quote

At least it's being cut up for parts to save others instead of just being crushed. Every one that has been crushed or cut up drives up the value of the remaining ones.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Sawzall Frenzy Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Sometimes obtaining title is such a clusterf*ck that it's not worth the effort for a shell, and that vehicle might be gone, but others get revived with it's parts.
I completely get that. I understand titling issues. All I was commenting on was the ones that don't even make an effort to "revive" them. There have been plenty of times that I have taken some effort to accumulate parts and paperwork, and then sell a more complete project.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Sawzall Frenzy Reply with quote

Slice it, dice it, splice it! Razz

There are some people that rather than bitch and moan about what others are doing, are actually taking it upon themselves to save the "unwanted" ones. However, they do have (1) money on hand, (2) truck and trailer, (3) time to figure out how best to save them, AND most importantly (4) the SPACE to store them until they can be sold and/or disposed of properly. Cool

Not all of us any of that or some of it even! I've cut up a couple of buses myself and quite frankly don't regret doing it. Both had plenty of parts that went to save many others. Smile

This one in particular was "saved" just one day before it went right into the crusher from an impound lot! Paperwork stated it was a '65 but was obviously a '62-'63. The whole roof was held together with bondo over chicken wire. Came to me just a week before I had to move so we actually did have a "Sawzall Frenzy"! Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Got it on a Friday afternoon and by Monday night I was sweeping the driveway off piles of rust. Wink
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Sawzall Frenzy Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
All I was commenting on was the ones that don't even make an effort to "revive" them.

Some people realize it is not worth the effort to put anything more into a car,
just part it out and move on. Can't revive them all Wink
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Sawzall Frenzy Reply with quote

I would say the vast majority of actually viable cars that go to the crusher or get cut up......that I have come across......meet this poor demise because there is a time limit involved.

Either the owner having to move from the house or property as mentioned.....or neighbors bitching about non running cars.....or city bitching about non running cars etc......or some other time constraint.

There are many times that you can actually get rid of a car faster .....by selling it in pieces.
I have seen many viable cars that just needed an engine and brakes to be gone though and the owner needed to get it off his land due to city issues.....and even asking virtually nothing for it .....months went by and people would ask about it....and either couldn't afford a tow truck or were waiting for perfect weather to tow with their vehicle etc.

The situation was that once it was cut up.....large worthless parts were carted away for scrap....good parts put out back or in the garage to sell of.....and once its no longer a vehicle, in the driveway in public view or on the street .... the city quits bugging them.

Here in Iowa.....I have to be careful with my 412. Its going to be at least 4 months until its back on 4 wheels and probably another year before it has a running engine in it. So its not tagged for Iowa yet....and not insured. It never leaves the garage until the sheels and engine are back on it.
And.....if the garage door is open and its publicly visible while I am working on it....code enforcement will cite me. Lots of reasons people cannot just go on a crusade to save every VW they come across just because its viable. Ray
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Sawzall Frenzy Reply with quote

one reason good buses sell for good money is a thousand bad buses went to the wreckers

If you saved every bus- they would be worth $1000- each and everybody would have one.-

I just bought a MB for less than $2000. because there are a bunch around and nobody scraps good ones.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Sawzall Frenzy Reply with quote

Some Hacks are good for the Hobby, this Hack ^^^^^ a '68 Doublecab body onto a '78 Bus base was the best way to kill a Frankenstein abomination, the parts went on to help other Buses...... and no one has to see that pile 'o crap again. Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Sawzall Frenzy Reply with quote

crukab wrote:

..... and no one has to see that pile 'o crap again. Laughing

"Edith --my EYES---My EYES Shocked Shocked Shocked "

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: