Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 316, 317, 318 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: 2L Engine Reply with quote

Ok, I need help Looking up threads - I want to read up on the 2L FI for the 79 Westy I'm buying. All the fire threads are scary - especially when I have to go 1450 miles to get home!
I'm going to put a BlazeCut fire extinguisher in, but I want to know as much about this engine as possible. My Bentley is on the way, and I know that maintenance, a clean engine bay and replacing the fuel lines are a huge part of preventing these fires.

Would you please provide some links to threads on the 2L? I also keep reading about bus wheels - I'd like to know what the tire specs are.

Thanks so much!

1979 Campmobile - "Pancho Verde"

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Mark 3 Jetta "Liebchen Zwei"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 2L Engine Reply with quote

cv66seabear wrote:
Ok, I need help Looking up threads - I want to read up on the 2L FI for the 79 Westy I'm buying. All the fire threads are scary - especially when I have to go 1450 miles to get home!
I'm going to put a BlazeCut fire extinguisher in, but I want to know as much about this engine as possible. My Bentley is on the way, and I know that maintenance, a clean engine bay and replacing the fuel lines are a huge part of preventing these fires.

Would you please provide some links to threads on the 2L? I also keep reading about bus wheels - I'd like to know what the tire specs are.

Thanks so much!

Tires: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=162278
Fuel injection: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482560
FAQ's: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=165001
And of course WWW.Ratwell.com

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks,Bus Daddy! It's kind of embarrassing, I'm a librarian - trained to look up things - yet I can't seem to search these threads and find what I need!
Kent

1979 Campmobile - "Pancho Verde"

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Mark 3 Jetta "Liebchen Zwei"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

replacing some lines in the 79 auto I picked up last fall, and see this part. Bentley is not helping, because I am stupid. What is this?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
replacing some lines in the 79 auto I picked up last fall, and see this part. Bentley is not helping, because I am stupid. What is this?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That is your EGR valve which is probably full of junk. You are also missing the linkage and the filter and related piping. Unless you need it to pass inspection just leave the system disconnected. Putting a solid metal gasket between the valve and the intake plenum will guaranty that it will not cause a vacuum leak. Even a coin with some silicone smeared on it works fine as a gasket/plug.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

no inspection for me. so, leave it be? remove and clean and replace and leave be? remove and plug?
edit- reread. remove/ solid gasket/ replace. thanks
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

still at it, new question/issue.
PO has a switch taped onto the wiper stalk for the blinkers! checked the well known gremlin of the hazard switch, and yup, snapped fully apart. was there internal balls or springs or stitches that popped out and were lost to the ages? or zip tie and good to go?
it has the internal piece that the knob threads into, and the back cover with all the prongs and I think contact.
so again, when it fully opens up, do pieces fall out?
Thanks for the ERG help Busdaddy
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

That was WT's on the EGR, as for that hazard switch there's 2 ] shaped copper things and 2 small springs that go under them that ride along in the part the knob screws into and moves.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

hot damn! I think it all still there! thanks Wild Things Wink
RixiesRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I'm on the verge of tears right now. I ordered another starter, this time I ordered one from Autozone for a 79 transporter, it fits under the crossbar unlike the last starter I bought but this one doesnt go in far enough according to my mechanic. He says I should have ordered for the 73 bus, but from all the threads and tech links I've been reading I thought I was ordering based on the 091 bell housing and not on the gearbox.

I posted, several posts back, pictures of what I have going on and I thought I have an 002 gearbox with an 091 belk housing. If someone could please verify or tell where I went wrong again.

The mechanic says I'm overthinking what I'm reading and to order a starter for the 73.

All replies and links to more threads will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Leslie

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/RixiesRide/WW/
RixiesRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

If this matters I have a 228mm flywheel, clutch and pressure plate from Luk.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

RixiesRide wrote:
I'm on the verge of tears right now. I ordered another starter, this time I ordered one from Autozone for a 79 transporter, it fits under the crossbar unlike the last starter I bought but this one doesnt go in far enough according to my mechanic. He says I should have ordered for the 73 bus, but from all the threads and tech links I've been reading I thought I was ordering based on the 091 bell housing and not on the gearbox.

I posted, several posts back, pictures of what I have going on and I thought I have an 002 gearbox with an 091 belk housing. If someone could please verify or tell where I went wrong again.

The mechanic says I'm overthinking what I'm reading and to order a starter for the 73.

All replies and links to more threads will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Leslie

The shaft sticks out of the later 091 style starter about a half inch further than the shaft sticks out of the earlier 002 style starter. Your mechanic should be able to measure how far beneath the starter mounting flange surface the ring gear sit and determine which starter you need.

Without having a bellhousing available to look at I don't want to guess which bellhousing is shown in your picture. Others are probably better at this than me.

Note: The flywheel and clutch don't determine which starter you need, only the bellhousing, though the 228 clutch and pressure plate do require the use of the later bellhousing.
RixiesRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I know where I messed up now. I didn't pay attention to the picture in the tech section regarding starters and the difference in the mounting depth. For some reason I thought an 002 bell housing was more of a rectangular shape so I just assumed that I had an 091.

I will measure tomorrow and try again.

Thank you

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

RixiesRide wrote:
I know where I messed up now. I didn't pay attention to the picture in the tech section regarding starters and the difference in the mounting depth. For some reason I thought an 002 bell housing was more of a rectangular shape so I just assumed that I had an 091.

I will measure tomorrow and try again.

Thank you

If you have a 228mm clutch and flywheel and an early bellhousing you may have clearance issues. Crying or Very sad I remember on Shoptalkforums (Type4um) that someone posted a picture of a clearanced 002 bellhousing. This was years back, but it might be worth searching for.

I have also read that you can have clearance problems between the early starter and the 228 clutch cover so it is possible you may not make the earlybellhousing and starter work all that easily with a 228mm clutch even after you clearance the flywheel. The best solution is either all early parts or all late parts.
sdw53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Guys who are switching from fuel injection to carburetors, where are you drawing your vacuum from for the brake booster? Any links to threads with this topic would be most helpful. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

sdw53 wrote:
Guys who are switching from fuel injection to carburetors, where are you drawing your vacuum from for the brake booster? Any links to threads with this topic would be most helpful. Thanks

After making the jump from dual carbs to FI, my question would be... WHY would you go 50 years back in technology by doing the opposite?

Carbs must not be too popular, since I had a hard time even giving away the Kadrons I removed.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sdw53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Anyone with helpful comments?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

sdw53 wrote:

There was a post either yesterday or earlier today with pictures of what you want to do.
sdw53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thank you wildthing. I'll look for it
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
sdw53 wrote:

There was a post either yesterday or earlier today with pictures of what you want to do.

Dude there is lots of fodder to weed through. At the end of the day its the guy that pushed though the BS (understanding whats read is opinion) and gets his shit fixed and running.

There never is a magic bullet. Too many assholes on here putting in their 2 cents. (me included) Quote that bitches. Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 316, 317, 318 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 317 of 515

Jump to: