Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do yesterday on your buggy?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 189, 190, 191 ... 197, 198, 199  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Yesterday. 80° and sunny so decided to take the buggy to the home center for a few things. This was nothing unusual as I did the same thing 3 times last week. Filled up in town and took off down the interstate. When I got to the home center the parking lot was packed. Springtime and Sunday.

The buggy was running great so I just kept driving. Got on some back roads and cruised with no particular place to go. Next thing I know I am about 40 miles from home.

It was a fantastic afternoon. Toured some neighborhoods of old houses I hadn't been to before, stopped for a burger and basically enjoyed driving around with no destination.

I didn't get the house stuff done, but some things are more important than work. It was certainly nice to take a total break from the house remodel and clear the head. Makes all the tinkering and repairs on it worthwhile.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Frizbal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

I had a similar experience. Went to a car meet in the morning. Expected to spend about 30-45 minutes there. Ended up being gone all morning, ran some errands, then went for a drive. Got home around 3PM and got nearly nothing done on the house. But oh well, hell of a day!
SoCal67Volks Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Finishing the parking brake mount
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"Making a car look complicated is easy, making it look simple is hard." John Buttera
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Removed the body from the existing chassis and placed it onto the new chassis. Multiple measurements and pilot holes drilled and the body is off again.

Body back off and now it's time to secure the belly pan

"Making a car look complicated is easy, making it look simple is hard." John Buttera
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jonasbegood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Last week I installed a new pertronix billet distributor, flamethrower coil, new spark plugs & wires. I also changed all the oil hoses, new oil filter and some of the fuel hoses and the filter. Today I've been experiementing with timing, idle mixture and advance curve. The car runs smoother than ever, but not quite optimal yet. Have some low rpm stuttering. My air filter has not been changed since I got the car so I will do the final tuning once its here (had to special order it from australia).

styroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

jonasbegood wrote:
Have some low rpm stuttering. My air filter has not been changed since I got the car so I will do the final tuning once its here (had to special order it from australia).
Mine did not improve until I installed dual carbs on short manifolds. My theory is that colder climates and open engines affect the delivery of proper and well timed fuel mixture down the long manifolds to the engine. I live on the 48th parallel.
motoRAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

a bit of fiber please Laughing

a lot more to do yet...
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Spent much of the past few days relocating my buggy's horn, allowing for one or both T-top halves to fit nicely in the trunk on top of the spare (which is a tiny temporary-use tire on stock VW rim). Plexiglass sidewindows fit into passenger side pod compartment.

[/img]
redrocker1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

got the motor back in
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Winter upgrades are all done and buggy is back to driver status

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
styroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
Winter upgrades are all done and buggy is back to driver status

Cool
jonasbegood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

styroman wrote:
jonasbegood wrote:
Have some low rpm stuttering. My air filter has not been changed since I got the car so I will do the final tuning once its here (had to special order it from australia).
Mine did not improve until I installed dual carbs on short manifolds. My theory is that colder climates and open engines affect the delivery of proper and well timed fuel mixture down the long manifolds to the engine. I live on the 48th parallel.

This might be the last resort. This problem seems to come and go, but I have been experimenting the last two seasons with the carb tuning, so might be it! Its like a hesitation when I reach around 2000 rpm. My current plan is to change the exhaust, tune the carbs with colortune and hopefully add some electric heat to my intake (if my generator can handle it!).
Singerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Yesterday. 80° and sunny so decided to take the buggy to the home center for a few things. This was nothing unusual as I did the same thing 3 times last week. Filled up in town and took off down the interstate. When I got to the home center the parking lot was packed. Springtime and Sunday.

The buggy was running great so I just kept driving. Got on some back roads and cruised with no particular place to go. Next thing I know I am about 40 miles from home.

It was a fantastic afternoon. Toured some neighborhoods of old houses I hadn't been to before, stopped for a burger and basically enjoyed driving around with no destination.

I didn't get the house stuff done, but some things are more important than work. It was certainly nice to take a total break from the house remodel and clear the head. Makes all the tinkering and repairs on it worthwhile.

You just described most of my buggy rides... same context, same sense of escapism. I don't ride with a club, I drive mostly alone, without a pre-set destination and most of all, i often go for a drive to kind of cool down during demanding/stressing periods of my life.
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

SoCal67Volks wrote:

That hammertone paint looks great.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

motoRAT wrote:
a bit of fiber please Laughing

I bet it's very satisfying to get those giant light holes finally filled. Can't wait to see the final color. I really enjoy your posts motoRAT.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
Singerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Yesterday I broke a clutch cable, luckily I was not even a 1/4 mile from home so I drove it back in second gear. But being over-eager not to lose a day of driving, I decided to only allow for minimal cool down and to started wrenching pretty much right away. Boy! what a champion move...

As you probably guessed it, I burned myself like 3 times, busted a knuckle open, swore like a lumberjack and threw a couple wrenches accross the garage. I knew I wasn't gonna achieve my goal any faster by being angry but seeing my afternoon passing by made me want to rush things. I got into that loop where anger was just feeding itself at that point.

To get to the pedal assembly on a buggy is a real pain in any case, but mine is kinda worst than most because I had the brilliant idea of JB welding the horn button in place on my Grant 3 spokes. So I have to work my way around it. At 5'7" I am what you might consider vertically challenged, I don't have much reach with my stubby arms so I have to pull some serious Cirque du Soleil moves...

You don't want to be angry when you're down head-first under the dashboard trying to put back the pedal assembly with the e-brake lever poking at your ribs and your arms all twisted up like a human pretzel. Arms slowly going numb from the unnatural position, ears buzzing from the over-flow of blood.

As life is predictable but kinda funny that way, it's always when you're in the exact worst possible position that a mosquito comes and bites your ellegantly exposed plumber's crack. And you refex-swat the little sucker, but all you achieve is knocking your head on the steering shaft and spraining a shoulder..

Finally, after struggling for a while, I decided to surrender and put it off till this morning. Same guy, same car, same tools, different attitude and oh so different outcome. Everything did go smoothly and I was rewarded with a beautiful day of practically deserted, fast, rolling backroads and a perfectly sunny 75 degrees.

Makes you think those Buddhists with their Zen stuff are on to something...

Last edited by Singerdude on Thu May 25, 2017 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

^^^^^ That is funny. Thanks for the morning chuckle, and reminder of being there too.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Singerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Thank you Joe, I appreciate it. I'm not a mechanic by any means so, unfortunately, what I just described is about 80% of my wrenching sessions... It pretty much always involves some yelling, some blood and a few flying tools. I'm learning and slowly but surely I have more and more things that go smoothly as experience sets in (and bruises, burns and cuts heal). Paying the pain tribute just reinforces the pride you have when driving/showing it around. Utterly frustrating little cars they are those buggies, but yet oh so rewarding...
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Looked at it in the garage. Tried to figure out how to make a VW actually run. Closed the door. Don't have 3 straight weeks to try and figure out the engine.
Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Got my parking brake & shift rod sorted out.

One my favorite details of the Manxchassis is how the chassis tubes narrows for the seating area to allow for larger seats.

The down side of this key feature is you don't have as much room for fuel lines, brake lines, shift rod and parking brake cables as you would in the stock tunnel.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 189, 190, 191 ... 197, 198, 199  Next
Jump to:
Page 190 of 199

Jump to: