Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A pile of Splits! Kansas auction
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwluvrs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

Telephunken wrote:
if they are in fact still going to be sold as a package

they are not..

Telephunken wrote:
they are not going to get a high of number as they think; plus with all the vague details and such that everyone is talking about you're not going to have the turn out or as many people being able to travel and see them in person before they are sold.

They have people already traveling in from Canada and beyond,,, Its very cool to find such a stash.
The cars are in Wellington Kansas.
Telephunken wrote:
you may have some interest from people doing a sealed bid without seeing the cars in person but those people are obviously going to bid low ball. I still think it's funny that the most valuable cars that they show in the pictures is obviously the Porsche Speedster but there is still no mention of that or whether or not it is included in the sale?

The Porsche may have already been sold by one of the owners; waiting to hear from Jack on that one. IF not, it will be sold.
Telephunken wrote:
Or even the very valuable 30's BMWs. The overall story is very intriguing, this many cars found one spot is always going to be the topic of conversation. but at the end of the day once the cars are sold and it's no longer and the hype goes out of it all you're still looking at cars that are not all that crazy rare. (based on the pics), the split rag maybe worth $30-40k, the 49 about $25-35 (based on a recent Samba sale, and if its missing the engine); the other splits maybe $20-25 each, the split cab maybe $35-50k. these numbers of course or just ballpark not knowing the exact condition of each car and how complete they each are I'm just going off what I see in the pictures. They could be much higher or lower based on condition. and I think these numbers are probably a little generous this of course does not account any extra parts or Okrasa motors, etc., etc.,or anything else. So if it was just the 4 splits, 1 being a sunroof, and the split cabriolet, i think someone will pay maybe $100k? $125k But im just guessing. The porsche is probably twice that easily....
I personally am more interested in the OEM parts that are available.
Jack was going to have a picture taken of himself with todays newspaper in front of the cars, to show 'truth' in his advertising.
>Click< to see my stuff for sale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwluvrs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Jack = samba user https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=5792

also this profile: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182245

and this one: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58763

You can read his feedback and judge for yourself.

These are all from 2003 through 2008...
things (service) has hopefully (probably) changed for the better in 14 years...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

Please don't throw car prices around, as you know a lot of things factor in.
matching numbers, rust, correct and completeness. The 49 that sold for $35K on the Samba went for way too much (my opinion). You would be better off buying a restored car for what the restoration would cost. The speedster is for sale as well (I heard they had an offer of $115K) as well as the 1935 BMW's are for sale, some ovals, some buses, some 1932/34 Fords, and a pile of other cars. I am being told that they are taking bids on the cars, I think individually now?? It seems to change as I talk to people. I guess the best offer gets the car?? The guy that listed the cars on the Samba, was not making the decisions. Jack, is a very nice and straight forward guy (my impression). Well, I wanted one but I will not be there??
50Splitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

vintage fiberglass wrote:
Please don't throw car prices around, as you know a lot of things factor in.
matching numbers, rust, correct and completeness. The 49 that sold for $35K on the Samba went for way too much (my opinion). You would be better off buying a restored car for what the restoration would cost. The speedster is for sale as well (I heard they had an offer of $115K) as well as the 1935 BMW's are for sale, some ovals, some buses, some 1932/34 Fords, and a pile of other cars. I am being told that they are taking bids on the cars, I think individually now?? It seems to change as I talk to people. I guess the best offer gets the car?? The guy that listed the cars on the Samba, was not making the decisions. Jack, is a very nice and straight forward guy (my impression). Well, I wanted one but I will not be there??

I agree...I personally checked out that 49 in Virginia back in 2000/2001 timeframe, when a different seller owned it, and it was hit in the front and all kinds of wrinkled, rusted in the inner rear heater channel ends, the deckild was really bad at the top where someone used a torch to try and weld it back up, it had the incorrect motor, fenders, etc., and wrong front seats. I have all the pics I took from the time to prove it. He wanted $13K at the time, and I thought that was a little high given how much was missing, incorrect or damaged, and the fact that it was such a late 49, it may have been a 50. Heck, if I could have predicted I could double my money just holding on to it in 16 years I guess I would have done so!

However, can't knock anyone who lists a car for what they think it is worth and they get a buyer for it...more power to them.
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

So who is traveling to see the splits? anyone? Is anyone going to try and buy one? Please let me and the others on the Samba know what they are truly like and what they go for. With all the secretive hype around them they may just go for way more than they should. I am in the market for a split convertible?? in case someone buys the whole pile. or has a project. Tim
WrennMetallWerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

What a wonderful find. I'm very hopeful folks can get these Kars out of slumber and back on the streets. My Son and I would love to have a opportunity to help resurrect any one of these. Please keep us in mind if you are looking for factory replicated reconstruction. Thanks in advance. Would love to be a part of the restoration of some one these amazing cars.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Purpose Over Pleasure 🕊

“Hard Werk ⚒ God First “

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=0-PSeV52tZ4&si=wpcuRnQyvIFo2nCJ
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=PaCorLXzC5w&si=cbzT8fjlzVlIWfSV
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=_aoE5aYSutY&si=mkZKPxd_41QA1kfs
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=_NzUyyVexAE&feature=share
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=UI8yUrIWS7E&feature=share
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

The cars are real, and as previously posted, are in Kansas. The Porsche is not sold, and nothing will be going for cheap, and will be 'bidded' on individually unless individual interest is not there from what I'm told. I'm not connected to them in any way, but know 'bidders' that are going to see and hopefully buy a few. I'll post some pics if they do end up picking some of them up.
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

Ok, so it is now Sunday and nobody posted anything about these splits for sale this weekend? Does anyone have pics or any info to report? My contact never got back to me, he said he was going to hook me up with the owner to make an offer and he never did. I didn't travel there??
hoffvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/groups/565525893463925/permalink/1786881664661669/

More fuel for the fire.

Porsche

Gentlemen who posted to FB:

Another angle of the group of splits:

Some Deuces (nice!) and the convertible (off to the right):
Rhysos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

Wow, what a stash! Shocked

It would be an experience just to be able to see them in person still covered with decades of undisturbed dust. Just incredible...
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

... musta' been exhilarating, finding all that and exhilarating selling it all at today's inflated prices...
... that barn should be made into a building of historic places.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
ScrapJunkie
(O\U|U/O)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

Hey, that's me!

Yes, the place is amazing, I'm still shaking and slapping myself. There are some amazing cars in there, and loads of parts to boot.

I'm just glad I was lucky enough to get a chance to experience it in person. Surely a once in a lifetime opportunity I didn't plan to miss out on.
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

Sealed bidding is like a home run for the seller. What a concept, lol. At least at live auction the buyer only pays a little more than the next guy. this way there could be one bid for thousands more than others. very smart thinking for the sellers.
Do they reveal the bids in person with witnesses? what i mean is, if its not live, lets say they only get one bid on an item and its dirt cheap, and they dont want to take it. they could just say to that person "sorry someone bid higher", and just not sell. just seems like a shady way of auctioning.
madworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

Telephunken wrote:

Do they reveal the bids in person with witnesses? what i mean is, if its not live, lets say they only get one bid on an item and its dirt cheap, and they dont want to take it. they could just say to that person "sorry someone bid higher", and just not sell. just seems like a shady way of auctioning.

More likely they've set a reserve price Or a minimum bid amount.
Madworks 1980 Vanagon Westy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=672496&highlight=
ScrapJunkie
(O\U|U/O)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

"The highest acceptable bid will be submitted to the Kansas District court for approval"
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

yeah, sealed bid is an oldschool thing, usually when there are disputes, lawyers, estates, etc involved. Is less exciting for sure, but it's an old school way of getting things done

worst part to me, is that if you put all your eggs into one car, but were outbid, you're too late to bid on the car next to it...
Jay Dub Customs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

Will there be a public auction?

vwluvrs wrote:
This find is in fact real..
And the only true contact person is Jack Quaif. Another 'seller' out of Colorado Springs is claiming access and right to sell, but he does not have that connection with the owner. Jack has been dealing directly with the owners, and has been inventorying the 'stash' for them.
He is, in fact, in transit there today (03/27/17) from his shop in Clovis New Mexico, to finalize the commitments, and start to make the cars and parts available to the public.
The sale was put on hold for quite a while as attorneys got involved (need I say more?).
Now that is all cleared up.. I only wish I could just see them as they sit, before they are pulled out and sent hither and yon .
Jack has mentioned that the find has been completely documented on film (still and movies)
There are some amazing cars, and parts, true okrassa, and splits to die for. There are fords, bugs, buses, 30's model BMW's and Frazer Nash BMW.
Folks, do your due diligence before buying anything on line. Speaking from experience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwluvrs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

Jay Dub Customs wrote:
Will there be a public auction?

No
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

Germanpride wrote:
Hey, that's me!

Yes, the place is amazing, I'm still shaking and slapping myself. There are some amazing cars in there, and loads of parts to boot.

I'm just glad I was lucky enough to get a chance to experience it in person. Surely a once in a lifetime opportunity I didn't plan to miss out on.
So, come on, details!
ScrapJunkie
(O\U|U/O)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
Germanpride wrote:
Hey, that's me!

So, come on, details!

Pretty much everything I know has already been said.

A few of my photos are here: http://barnfinds.com/holy-grail-vw-find-split-window-beetle-collection/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: