Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Been a while. What's up with prices?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Been a while. What's up with prices? Reply with quote

Been a while since my last visit. Mainly came to post an ad for a 1971 Super I'm cutting up, but was looking through the ads at cars for sale and prices have gotten crazy! I remember getting into these cars fifteen years ago and 'projects' were at less then $1000, all makes and models. Now I'm seeing late model POSs pushing $5000 or more!
Has the well finally dried up?
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Been a while. What's up with prices? Reply with quote

late model POSs are not selling for $5k. Selling and advertising prices are not interchangeable. The well is far from dry. And '71 supers are still the rock bottom of the value chain.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Been a while. What's up with prices? Reply with quote

Yes prices for stuff is getting stupid. Well we did have eight years of nothing.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Been a while. What's up with prices? Reply with quote

A similar thread came up a few months back: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662574
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Been a while. What's up with prices? Reply with quote

Vinnems wrote:
........ fifteen years ago...........

Imagine your suprise if you walked into a grocery store or pulled up to a gas pump for the first time in 15 years, why would you expect classic cars that aren't made anymore to somehow be sheltered from reality?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Been a while. What's up with prices? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Vinnems wrote:

Imagine your suprise if you walked into a grocery store or pulled up to a gas pump for the first time in 15 years, why would you expect classic cars that aren't made anymore to somehow be sheltered from reality?

Exactly. I love the "They were only $2,000 new" comments.... Well, that was several decades ago.

If your flipping out about the prices of late model bugs, do NOT venture into the split window bus classified section!

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Been a while. What's up with prices? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Vinnems wrote:

Just because I felt like looking it up:
15 years ago was 2002.
Gas in 2002 was on average $1.36 according to Google, 2016 was $2.14

Grocery store:
I randomly looked up chicken prices, they doubled.

Anyway - Yes, prices have risen quite a bit in 15 years.
Supply and Demand at work.
Some people say VWs were an excellent investment over that timeframe.
I believe this is true, if you owned a nice car that required minimal expenses.
I sold a VW Bus in 2003 that is probably worth 5x as much now.
And I'm not talking $500 to $2500.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Been a while. What's up with prices? Reply with quote

I purchased my current VW (1971 Tintop Westy) for $950 about 23 years ago.

I purchased my previous VW (1970 Westfalia, very clean) for $2000 in 1979. Gave it away for free when I got my '71. (It was still running, but not as clean, but rust free and with a gas heater (Crying or Very sad). I just didn't have the space for it. Crying or Very sad

I purchased my first VW camper (1964 Sundial) for $460 and a pipeload in 1975. I drove it to Mazatlan the summer I turned 21 with two college women and a bag of LSD "barrel" tablets. (sold it for $600 in 1980)

None of these were exceptional deals at the time.

(And I remember when you couldn't give away 1972 Westfalias because nobody wanted them.)

Just a data point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Been a while. What's up with prices? Reply with quote

I bought:

71 Super Beetle in 1977 for $1700
79 Westy in 1984 for $5500
71 Super Beetle in 2012 for $5000
77 Westy in 2015 for $9000

All CAD.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Been a while. What's up with prices? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

15 years ago was 2002.

I find this the most alarming thing in here.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Been a while. What's up with prices? Reply with quote

Bob Loblaw wrote:
EverettB wrote:

15 years ago was 2002.

Yep....this "year" thing sucks. Its actually a conspiracy by the calendar printing industry to sell you more shit you don't need.
Wink Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Been a while. What's up with prices? Reply with quote

I think the first 5-10 VW's I bought (back in late 70's-early 80's) I didn't pay more than $200 for any of them. 2-'57's, '62 ragtop, and then some.
origowner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Been a while. What's up with prices? Reply with quote

Look at the increase in Porsche prices. They are dragging up Volkswagen air cooled values.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Been a while. What's up with prices? Reply with quote

Buy a Corvair, its cheaper than air-cooled VW, the way the prices are going.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Been a while. What's up with prices? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Vinnems wrote:

Just because I felt like looking it up:
15 years ago was 2002.
Gas in 2002 was on average $1.36 according to Google, 2016 was $2.14

Grocery store:
I randomly looked up chicken prices, they doubled.

Anyway - Yes, prices have risen quite a bit in 15 years.
Supply and Demand at work.
Some people say VWs were an excellent investment over that timeframe.
I believe this is true, if you owned a nice car that required minimal expenses.
I sold a VW Bus in 2003 that is probably worth 5x as much now.
And I'm not talking $500 to $2500.

I hear ya..
I sold my solid running driving 21 window in 2006 for $12,500 Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Been a while. What's up with prices? Reply with quote

prices a re through the roof everywhere!
more money for less.

have you been out of the house lately?
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Been a while. What's up with prices? Reply with quote

Prices are all over. It is not how much it costs but how much can be sold for and what the market can bear. Very Happy

You can find 'deals' here and there. But one thing is sure -the cars are getting harder to find in good condition.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Been a while. What's up with prices? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Bob Loblaw wrote:
EverettB wrote:

15 years ago was 2002.

Yep....this "year" thing sucks. Its actually a conspiracy by the calendar printing industry to sell you more shit you don't need.
Wink Ray

The good news though? Calendar repeats every 28 years but sometimes every 5 or 6 depending on leap years. You might be able to get a 1988 calendar cheap. This fact alone should appeal to cheap ass penny pinching VW folks. Very Happy back in 88 they still did tool calendars with bikini clad models, I'm in.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Been a while. What's up with prices? Reply with quote

I paid $6,000 for my '66 bug in 2016. Bus prices are what's insane. I've just accepted the fact I'll never be able to afford a running driving split window.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Been a while. What's up with prices? Reply with quote

I was wondering what you paid for the 66 Cali_Army_Guy. However you have a nice car and paid to get a nice one. Unlike east of the continental divide you car would be like 8K.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: