Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which GPS unit to buy for a Syncro ?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rs251
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Which GPS unit to buy for a Syncro ? Reply with quote

Hey all, we are planning a trip to Syncro Solstice this year and would like to take as many back roads as possible on the way and in Utah before and after the event. Hopefully take some of the awesome routes suggested by Syncro Jael and Hans J too.

We do have factory GPS in some newer cars, but no experience with aftermarket units. Would love some feedback on the most suitable units / models that are available now, particularly ones suitable for off road and off highway adventuring.

Thanks in advance for the input !
juanb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Which GPS unit to buy for a Syncro ? Reply with quote

Haven't smartphones made GPS units obsolete?

Nowadays the google maps app on both Android and iOS lets you download map areas for offline use.

I'm guessing that a high end GPS unit would be as mush as a good enough android phone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Which GPS unit to buy for a Syncro ? Reply with quote

I have problems with my smart phone overheating and shutting off while sitting in the relatively covered location of the shelf in front of the tach, never had a similar issue with any garmin nuvi mounted directly in full sunlight.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Which GPS unit to buy for a Syncro ? Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
I have problems with my smart phone overheating and shutting off while sitting in the relatively covered location of the shelf in front of the tach, never had a similar issue with any garmin nuvi mounted directly in full sunlight.

What phone do you have? I use a Samsung S5 and when traveling on long stretches I can turn off the display to save power and it alsohelps keep it from heating from to display being on all the time. The GPS Map still operates with the display turned off.
If you can make a sun shield for it it would help it being in the shade and you would see the screen better.
I've used a baseball cap folded over it to shade it from the bill. This also helps keep it from reflecting off the windshield at night.
Mine is located near the air vent so it always has airflow over it.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Which GPS unit to buy for a Syncro ? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7974017#7974017

Motion-X GPS on a cellular enabled iPad. You don't actually use the cellular service for data. Maps are cached. Big screen.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Which GPS unit to buy for a Syncro ? Reply with quote

I use a Garmin Montana for my dual sport riding as well as Westy backroad exploring. Nice as I can also toss it in the backpack for hikes as well.

nate
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Which GPS unit to buy for a Syncro ? Reply with quote

iPhone 6Plus using Gaia. Maps are cached so you do not need a cellular signal.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Which GPS unit to buy for a Syncro ? Reply with quote

I do not own a Smartphone so I needed a stand-alone GPS for travel. I got this last year:

http://g.factoryoutletstore.com/details/80909/Nuvi2597LMT.html?category_id=0&catalogitemid=73058

Costs less than a night in most motels and works quite well. It is a 'manufacturer refurbished' unit but works, looks and is warranted as new.

I program it before the trip with major way points. Mainly I know where I am going anyway but it is helpful to know exactly where the next turn is and what my ETA is at my destination. It is invaluable negotiating in big cities (LA & SF) where things happen fast and specific addresses can be tricky to find.

Also handy to be able to quickly see all gas stations in the area. So much of the Southwest (including where I live) is still w/o cell service so having something that does not rely on that was important to me.
86scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Which GPS unit to buy for a Syncro ? Reply with quote

Cheap Android tablet with a microSD card, as big as you want, for map storage. There are some great GPS apps that are free these days and you can do lots of other handy things in the van with the tablet. Music player and storage, movies, utility apps like level, weather, the list is endless.

My current setup is a Samsung Galaxy tablet running OsmAnd+ (Open Street Maps Android). I have about $5 in the app plus a few extras like the topo addition. Download and cache maps whenever you have wifi at a restaurant or coffee house, or before you leave.

I was an iPad devotee for years prior but the cheap storage of a removable microSD on an Android device rules. You can get 128 GB of storage on the thing, more than a laptop a few years back, for $30 or so. That's a LOT of maps! Also cheaper to replace if someone steals it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Which GPS unit to buy for a Syncro ? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
syncrodoka wrote:

What phone do you have?

Iphone.
The garmin is happy baking in the sun while the phone overheats and shuts off while sitting in a much more covered position. I don't like A/C so when I am out in 80+ degree climates the phone is unhappy, when on the coast obviously either are fine.
A dedicated GPS works best for me. I have a couple different newer generation nuvi units for my vans, haven't had an issue with them.
rs251
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Which GPS unit to buy for a Syncro ? Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Most appreciated !

Sounds like the Garmin Nuvi series is a popular off the shelf choice. Glad to hear most back routes are covered too !

I'm an iPhone user and have had some overheats / shut offs in the hot weather while driving as mentioned by some in this thread. I think a dedicated unit that would stay in the van would be perfect for our use. I do like the idea of downloading maps onto a tablet with the big screen but it does require getting the correct maps in advance on wifi or data.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Which GPS unit to buy for a Syncro ? Reply with quote

I am curious. What model iPhones do you all have that are overheating? My 6 Plus sits right on top of the instrument panel on one of these and it has never shut down. Even on our summer long trip with 100 degree heat driving to Las Vegas without A/C. I wonder what is going on.... Confused

https://www.amazon.com/iOttie-Holder-iPhone-Samsun...P97ETCMA3S

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Which GPS unit to buy for a Syncro ? Reply with quote

If you're going to go way off road and explore lots of old back roads and such, I'd suggest picking up a state specific atlas and gazetteer.

It is like a regular road atlas, but only covers one state so each page is very detailed on the roads/details it shows.

I like that over a phone/GPS for exploring because I feel it is easier to get a "bird's eye view" on if the road/trail is likely to go anywhere or be a dead end, and where it goes, without having to scroll left and right and all that.

Could also be a savior if the GPS dies or loses signal or something.

Obviously Amazon has them, but also I've seen them in the sporting goods section of Wal-Marts too, as well as in local sporting goods type stores.

https://www.amazon.com/Utah-Atlas-Gazetteer-6th-De...69KW921E30

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Which GPS unit to buy for a Syncro ? Reply with quote

Dont ever buy a Rand Mcnally product. No mexico so if you decide to take a baja trip you're screwed.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Which GPS unit to buy for a Syncro ? Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
If you're going to go way off road and explore lots of old back roads and such, I'd suggest picking up a state specific atlas and gazetteer.

It is like a regular road atlas, but only covers one state so each page is very detailed on the roads/details it shows.

I like that over a phone/GPS for exploring because I feel it is easier to get a "bird's eye view" on if the road/trail is likely to go anywhere or be a dead end, and where it goes, without having to scroll left and right and all that.

Could also be a savior if the GPS dies or loses signal or something.

Obviously Amazon has them, but also I've seen them in the sporting goods section of Wal-Marts too, as well as in local sporting goods type stores.

https://www.amazon.com/Utah-Atlas-Gazetteer-6th-De...69KW921E30

X2 - Not all roads are in GPS software.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.

Last edited by MsTaboo on Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:47 am; edited 2 times in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Which GPS unit to buy for a Syncro ? Reply with quote

We have a Garmen Nuvi as well. My last road trip to Orlando, I decided to just use my iPhone and Apple's map app. I won't be doing that again. It's probably fine in a pinch, but my Garmen is much better suited for navigating. Good luck.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Which GPS unit to buy for a Syncro ? Reply with quote

I saw this in a Jeep and thought it was pretty cool.

http://www.magellangps.com/Outdoor-Navigation/Magellan-eXplorist-TRX7-Off-road-GPS-Navigation

Just another option! Probably not for everyone.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
alijonny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Which GPS unit to buy for a Syncro ? Reply with quote

I have t-mobile, which works awesome everywhere. Overseas, service. In Canada, Service. I have run into only one place in the US so far that I get NO SERVICE. it is Wisconsin. They have some kind of BS going on between carriers that they do not share cell data service at all. what a shame. I can get Service to the level of 3G in the middle of nowhere Turkey, where you can see the Milky Way clearly... but not in the good old USA, near Green Bay.

anyway, take maps, take a spare GPS...JUST IN CASE. When you need that little turd of a gps, you won't regret it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Which GPS unit to buy for a Syncro ? Reply with quote

Mrs. WT and I are both avid Geocachers, so we always have the GPS with us (Oregon 650t).
On the MC, I have a Garmin Zumo, and in both cars I have Garmin Nüvi's.
In addition to the Lifetime Map Update, we also use http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/.
I'm on my first smart phone, so I usually don't use it as a GPS. I have a GPS for that.... Rolling Eyes
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Which GPS unit to buy for a Syncro ? Reply with quote

alijonny wrote:
...I can get Service to the level of 3G in the middle of nowhere Turkey, where you can see the Milky Way clearly... but not in the good old USA, near Green Bay...

As I mentioned above, many places in AZ & NM lack service - including where I live.

Yet I was on a small boat on the Amazon, a 1000 miles from any roads much less anything you would call a town and the gal next to me was talking on her smartphone.

I think many countries have skipped right over landlines and embraced the concept of cell service to connect remote areas.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: