Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A pile of Splits! Kansas auction
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

Germanpride wrote:
Mark Evans wrote:
Germanpride wrote:
Hey, that's me!

Yes, the place is amazing, I'm still shaking and slapping myself. There are some amazing cars in there, and loads of parts to boot.

I'm just glad I was lucky enough to get a chance to experience it in person. Surely a once in a lifetime opportunity I didn't plan to miss out on.
So, come on, details!

Pretty much everything I know has already been said.

A few of my photos are here: http://barnfinds.com/holy-grail-vw-find-split-window-beetle-collection/

Great pictures thanks
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Kansas auction Reply with quote

Why do the splits all seem to have dual tail pipe rear aprons? How butchered up are they otherwise?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
icemanhd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Kansas auction Reply with quote

For those of you thinking this is a fire sale, the quotes from a very close friend who was onsite is "beat up W decklids, $750 each, the Porsche Speedster (which is a shell of a body and pan only) will bring $300k, and the split bugs the majority of which have bare interiors, wrong hoods/fenders/deck lids will bring $25k each...." The quote perception is reality comes to mind when you consider that the American Pickers paid $9500 for a 52 split that was COMPLETE with a numbers matching 25 hp motor...

More power to the seller if he gets those prices since they are way over and above that being asked for the same items on the Samba. The sale of the cars is tied up in probate court and NOTHING is going anywhere soon.
76 912E
87 911 Carrera
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Kansas auction Reply with quote

And because its a sale through the courts, no one getting a "buddy" bill of sale for like $1,000 for any of these projects. It will be $27,500 for a 25k split after taxes and BS. think about how much sales tax will be on the Porsche 😳
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hemifalcon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Kansas auction Reply with quote

Sealed bidding with no defined timeline of closure if said "auction" is a scam.. Whoever the actual "seller" is here should have called Vanderbrink and created international news for the auction and all the REAL buyers would show up with money to spend. Cool cars--shitty way of handling the sale of some cool cars.. Ill wait to see the finds pop up as restoration threads here on Thesamba(hopefully)-but likely they'll be re-sold.. Time will tell..
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Kansas auction Reply with quote

I already gave up on them and moved on. There are far better deals out there than these. The people that are saying what they are worth should be the same people opening up their wallet and laying the cash out to buy them.

I can't tell you how many deals I had messed up because someone, a neighbor, a friend, someone opens up their mouth and says this car is worth $50K, because they saw one on Barrett Jackson but the one in front of them has a wrong engine, some rust and missing front seats. Now this car is worth $15K tops. But the guy now thinks his car is worth $35K?? crazy!
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Kansas auction Reply with quote

Wow, this sucks, I can see them on the computer, but I can't buy them from the comfort of my living room? Someone else might get them cheaply or expensively? What has this world come to? Oh the humanity....
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Kansas auction Reply with quote

No matter how you look at it it is still pretty cool to see these pics. Is there any interesting story on how these cars got there or is/was the owner just a collector? Tried to search for the info but could not find anything.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Kansas auction Reply with quote

MDKG wrote:
No matter how you look at it it is still pretty cool to see these pics. Is there any interesting story on how these cars got there or is/was the owner just a collector? Tried to search for the info but could not find anything.

It is certainly visually appealing to see them. They are neat cars, but is there anything significant about any of them? Is there anything rare or early or particularly nice or original paint? The owner would have done better to put his money into one split era karmann or hebmuller or a nice low miles original paint 11G. Hopefully he drove them and enjoyed them at some point.

Those BMWs are potentially much more significant/rare cars.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Kansas auction Reply with quote

vintage fiberglass wrote:
I already gave up on them and moved on. There are far better deals out there than these. The people that are saying what they are worth should be the same people opening up their wallet and laying the cash out to buy them.

I can't tell you how many deals I had messed up because someone, a neighbor, a friend, someone opens up their mouth and says this car is worth $50K, because they saw one on Barrett Jackson but the one in front of them has a wrong engine, some rust and missing front seats. Now this car is worth $15K tops. But the guy now thinks his car is worth $35K?? crazy!

I agree totally. Reminds me of when people dont list a price but say "expensive" in their listing....😑
Jay Dub Customs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Kansas auction Reply with quote

There's another discussion about these cars on BarnFinds dot com. One guy is saying that the judge in the matter may turn it into a public auction because of all the difficulties with sealed bids. Location is in Wellington.

http://barnfinds.com/holy-grail-vw-find-split-window-beetle-collection/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jay Dub Customs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Kansas auction Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Why do the splits all seem to have dual tail pipe rear aprons? How butchered up are they otherwise?

Good catch. Just noticed myself. Makes you wonder.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Kansas auction Reply with quote

icemanhd wrote:
For those of you thinking this is a fire sale, the quotes from a very close friend who was onsite is "beat up W decklids, $750 each, the Porsche Speedster (which is a shell of a body and pan only) will bring $300k,...

More power to the seller if he gets those prices since they are way over and above that being asked for the same items on the Samba. The sale of the cars is tied up in probate court and NOTHING is going anywhere soon.

I doubt the Porsche Speedster will bring anything close to $300k. All the recent high priced (Over $300k) have been original paint or verified one or two owner cars.
And it's not a body and pan (none are), it has a windshield and frame and apparently the soft top bows, and appears to have front and rear suspension. It DOES have flared front wheel wells, ugh. . My guess would be $75-100k.
Yeah, back in the day I passed on nice ones for $1000. I only bought one. That was then, this is now.
Sealed bid is actually a pretty good way to cheaply dispose of items and it is fair if conducted correctly. And well published. You can get way more bidders. they don't all have to be there at Saturday at 8AM in east Timor, Kansas. Just a proper letter inside 2 envelopes and mailed in the prior weeks. Used to be the only way to buy some things. Often publicly owned things. A judge can handle it, I think.
Quit your whining.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Kansas auction Reply with quote

Ok, so how do we get the envelopes for the sealed bids? I guess I could contact the Jack guy again but he has not been responding back to me as promised. He seems like a very nice man. Does anyone have the info to give me and others? Tim
59RAIDER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Kansas auction Reply with quote

vintage fiberglass wrote:
Ok, so how do we get the envelopes for the sealed bids? I guess I could contact the Jack guy again but he has not been responding back to me as promised. He seems like a very nice man. Does anyone have the info to give me and others? Tim

The process is moving along don't worry about the Dr. Jack he is legit and I would put every vehicle I have on that fact. He's a vet and a man of his word.

Ruben
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Kansas auction Reply with quote

I believe you! I told he seemed like a nice guy, but he never gave me the owners contact info or sent me pics like he said he would. ??

That does not answer the question of how does a person submit a sealed bid if it is going that way?
OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Kansas auction Reply with quote

from Jack on facebook, that 3fold is a Standard, Bitchin.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

12/62 French 11 Window Bus
Wedge VW
Pandraggers C.C.
ScrapJunkie
(O\U|U/O)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Kansas auction Reply with quote

I saw that too. We're there 'Canadian Customs' in 52? I'm thinking no. But it had the standard wheel, headliner, window seals, etc, but deluxe trim. It could have always have been added later, of course.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Happy_Madison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Kansas auction Reply with quote

ok I been following this a couple weeks now and I have no idea or interest in following the trail of links. Bottom line is I'll bite I can be in (Kansas ToTo) when and where would you like me this weekend or next week. I will make a few calls and see what I can find after that it I will just need a contact from some on here... Please send to my email. Thank you in advance!
Update so I have called the courts and the district court clerk could not help me with any info. NEXT? I have sent Jack a request for info and a to please provide an envelope address. Jack Quaif... Bogus email [email protected]..
Does anyone have anything?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Kansas auction Reply with quote

He listed it as [email protected] elsewhere.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: