Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lurker finally gets a Thing.
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dubber44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Lurker finally gets a Thing. Reply with quote

I have been lurking here for the past few months. Finally completed our move from Las Vegas to Boise, Idaho.
After getting settled in new digs, I ordered my Thing.
Purchased it from an acquaintanance and friend of my sister and bro- in- law.
This person owns a beer Distributorship in Calif. That's where this Thing has been, in the whse. there. It has been used as a parade vehicle and chase car since 1980. Kept inside the warehouse. Interior was so very dirty, but cleaning up nice.
Minimal rust, small holes under battery...very solid otherwise. Windshield and bumpers are chrome. So are the earmuffs ( I'm not too crazy about the muffs ).
Seats are trashed...red and white striped (it was a parade vehicle remember ).
No top.....it runs, I haven't driven it yet, working on the interior.
I need some help: how do I separate the front seat back from the seat bottom? Have not found the answer here yet.
Thanks for any help. Looking forward to meeting some local members of the Boise Thing Group. Check out their web site.
Thanks...Oh, I will send pics when I learn how. Need help in this area too!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Lurker finally gets a Thing. Reply with quote

Welcome, you have the opportunity to be exposed to quite a brain trust. Most folks will be very helpful. If you need some parts, you might inquire in this forum as someone may have what you need to spare, happened to me a few times. We are a unique group.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Lurker finally gets a Thing. Reply with quote

Welcome aboard.

Check with the Boise Thing Group. They should be able to give you some local support and inspiration.

http://www.vwthing.us/boise-thing-group/
Dubber44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Lurker finally gets a Thing. Reply with quote

Would like to Semper Dad. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any contact info on their web site.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Lurker finally gets a Thing. Reply with quote

Seats, a nut on each side. takes a 13 mm wrench, then a little pull.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Lurker finally gets a Thing. Reply with quote

Welcome to the Samba. As Ron posted the seat is easy. You will find that a 13mm wrench will be used quite often on the Thing.

If you don't mind me asking, where at in California did you car come from? My wife's family used to own a large Miller distributorship in Riverside and San Bernardino Counties (Gate City Beverage) so I was wondering if this was possibly used by them.
Dubber44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Lurker finally gets a Thing. Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Went out to garage this morning and used some force to get them apart...no problems. Thought that was the way to do this but worried about breaking something.
No Shoyrtt, wrong brand of beer. Budweiser Distributor. Funny part is, I spent 36 years at Miller/ Coors distributor and Bud was the competitor...now their ok since I retired.
I still have the advertising on all 4 doors to get off. Guess a heat gun will do the decals, but what about the hand painted part? Anyone know how to remove without harming the paint on the doors?

I have heard that oven cleaned might do it!? Thanks!
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Lurker finally gets a Thing. Reply with quote

Before you remove the decals and the lettering, post a few pictures. In the split window bus section, original logo'd panels are very desirable.

Yes, you can remove paint with oven cleaner. Here is a great thread that covers the various methods: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=76072
Dubber44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Lurker finally gets a Thing. Reply with quote

Here goes....trying my 1st pic
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the semi driver who delivered my Thing.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Lurker finally gets a Thing. Reply with quote

looks pretty nice!! The car not the semi driver... Very Happy Very Happy
JBall8019
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Lurker finally gets a Thing. Reply with quote

You have a great looking VW
AdrianHandy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Lurker finally gets a Thing. Reply with quote

Me too just acquired my black thing type 182 I called Schwarzeneger

Dubber44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Lurker finally gets a Thing. Reply with quote

Nice looking Thing. White walls look good with the Black paint job.
Cool hood ornament also.
Congratulations to us for our new Things!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: