Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New guy here - need buying advice '93 vs 2002 Eurovan MV
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Purchase the '93 or the '02?
93 5 speed with 170k miles for $5000
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
02 Auto with 213k miles for $4500
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 8

Kook Skywalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: New guy here - need buying advice '93 vs 2002 Eurovan MV Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Finally in the position to get my long awaited adventuremobile. I have two near me on craigslist that I'm interested in. What would you think is the better long term purchase?

1. 93 Eurovan MV, 170k miles, 5 speed, lots of new parts, owner says he has receipts for many new parts, 'fair' condition cosmetically (faded paint etc), no issues mechanically asking $5000

2. '02 Eurovan MV, automatic, 213k miles, very good condition, shiny paint, no cosmetic issues, good mechanical condition A/C and everything works. asking $4500

My main concern is the automatic vs a 5 speed. I know that the auto is a $5000 or more repair bill if it goes out. and 213,000 miles is a lot on one tranny.

My hunch is the 93 manual will be more reliable, but the engine is a lot less powerful.

the 93 seems overpriced according to KBB, while the asking price for the '03 seems appropriate?

what say you?

thanks in advance!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy here - need buying advice '93 vs 2002 Eurovan MV Reply with quote

The 2003 has that silky smooth VR6 engine, and reports of the AT being bad on these are grossly over-reported here.
Scottn59c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy here - need buying advice '93 vs 2002 Eurovan MV Reply with quote

Those prices seems about right. The '93 is priced a little higher than it could be, the '02 a little lower. Both are high mileage, but both are niche vehicles, and KBB is not really on pace with the market for these.

If the auto trans made it that far, it's probably going to be fine for awhile to come, provided that you service it properly.

As I've said to other prospective buyers, (as a reality check and not as a cynic) these are expensive vehicles to upkeep if you truly plan to adventure around in them. Even if you believe that they are both in "good" mechanical shape and that "everything works", you are going to find plenty of quirks and flaws in them once you start driving and truly find out what's what. Just in case you hadn't already reckoned with it, both of the vans are going to be money pits. Make sure you have some extra money set aside and aren't going "all-in".
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy here - need buying advice '93 vs 2002 Eurovan MV Reply with quote

I would say the price on the 93 mv is about right to me. Normally would say to go for the reliable manual transmision, but that is too good of a price on the 02 to pass up if everything is in good working order.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: New guy here - need buying advice '93 vs 2002 Eurovan MV Reply with quote

Have you considered looking for a domestic conversion van? You can usually find one for half that & not have to deal with as limited parts availability when you get to more remote areas.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Kook Skywalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: New guy here - need buying advice '93 vs 2002 Eurovan MV Reply with quote

Thanks for all of your input folks!

I'm going to look into the '02.

I'm not really interested in a domestic conversion van. I'm pretty set on a eurovan.

When I say 'adventuremobile' - it's a relative term. I'm middle aged with teenagers - an adventure for me is going on a weekend camping trip!

thanks again!
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: New guy here - need buying advice '93 vs 2002 Eurovan MV Reply with quote

I remember this same question coming up a while back and the poster ended up buying both vans! Hopefully he will chime in.
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy here - need buying advice '93 vs 2002 Eurovan MV Reply with quote

The 4 speed auto tranny works very well when it's working well - like any tranny. If it doesn't shift strange, delay up or downshifting, bang into gear, hesitate engaging into drive or reverse when hot or cold it's probably ok and worth taking a chance on.

Often a new valve body can remedy the above conditions so a mis-shifting tranny doesn't always mean a full rebuild is required.

My 240,000 km tranny works 100% after a recent valve body replacement and service. I think these tranny's can go the distance if taken care of and not abused or subjected to extreme conditions. Of course any automatic tranny especially one with higher mileage CAN completely fail at any time but that's the chance we take with any older vehicle.

Scott and Abscate both make good points.

Good luck and hope this helps.

1999 Eurovan
2003 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro
1992 W201 190e 2.3 Mercedes
2006 W220 S600 V12 Twin Turbo 5.5 Mercedes
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy here - need buying advice '93 vs 2002 Eurovan MV Reply with quote

well ive owned vw busses for 50 years and have alwas had one. last month I bought a 93 eurovan and it is terrible. It a 5 speedl 5 popper and between the clutch pedal breaking and the shifting problems I have to say go for the auto, If somebody converted the93 aut to a 5 speed look out. Good luck and as our club down here in western Puerto Rico says if u own a vw expect to have dirty hands. can[t wait to get back to Vt and my 76 bus w twin 34s. Bill [email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: