Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Beetle Intro and Restore
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69RVABUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Intro and Restore Reply with quote

Went to my friend's house this afternoon on the way home from work. He had more than he thought. Here are the highlights:

A clean AS21 211-101-102E case
The 90.5mm Mahle forged piston and cylinder set
A dual Weber 44 IDF setup, kinda. Have the carbs, have the intakes, but no linkage. Made in Italy...fancy!
New Bugpack 4063 camshaft w/ gear
New 1.25 Scat rockers

Now, I know that the case needs to be machined to fit the larger pistons. Well...for shits and giggles, I took one of the Mahles and just tried to fit it into place. It fit. Whoever left this stuff had already had the case machined to fit the pistons. Freaking sweet, right?

And now I beg. Somebody please, PLEASE comment and let me know how you think tossing all of this into the same engine is going to turn out. This is going to be The Wife's car, she doesn't want a race Beetle. Peppy, yes. Race car, no.

Thoughts?
69RVABUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Intro and Restore Reply with quote

Lots of views, but no responses. Since it's so quiet around here, I e-mailed John at ACN. He says that this set up is not good for the wife. He suggests the following:

74mm crankshaft
10lb flywheel
5.4" rods
L3 heads
Dual 40 IDFs
Web218 camshaft

Since I am trying to keep the heater boxes, he says they are so restrictive that they wouldn't work with the 44s nor the cam I picked up.

Looks like I get to sell some stuff.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Intro and Restore Reply with quote

I'm no expert but if you want my opinion, I see no reason in the world the items you already have wouldn't work just fine.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
69RVABUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Intro and Restore Reply with quote

I definitely appreciate opinions that keep me from spending more money, lol
rayvwbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Intro and Restore Reply with quote

I agree- a 1776 with dual Weber 44s is not excessive at all and very streetable. There is much you can do to get everything out of that setup such as a performance exhaust. The 44s will be able to put more in then you could get out with a stock heater box/muffler setup. Just make sure that cam will work with the ratio rockers- not familiar with that cam.

Ray
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Intro and Restore Reply with quote

I'd sell most of it and use the proceeds to build a proper 1776 single port and use a stock cam. Full flow the oil, doghouse cooling, working thermostat and flaps, balanced lower end and use the counterweight crank .. An engine such as this will idle smooth and be good at low RPMs where she will most likely be driving it 99% of the time. Bulletproof build proven reliability.
69RVABUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Intro and Restore Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I'd sell most of it and use the proceeds to build a proper 1776 single port and use a stock cam. Full flow the oil, doghouse cooling, working thermostat and flaps, balanced lower end and use the counterweight crank .. An engine such as this will idle smooth and be good at low RPMs where she will most likely be driving it 99% of the time. Bulletproof build proven reliability.

Okay, I'm good with that option. What would you keep? Adapt one 44 idf, keep the pistons and just machine the heads to fit? I do want to keep the heater boxes, thermostat, and flaps.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Intro and Restore Reply with quote

No I'd get rid of the carbs too run a stock carb, heads? Again stock single port heads. Very solid torquey, easy to drive, cheap to build and lasts a long time. I've built these before and I'm building one now.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Intro and Restore Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
No I'd get rid of the carbs too run a stock carb, heads? Again stock single port heads. Very solid torquey, easy to drive, cheap to build and lasts a long time. I've built these before and I'm building one now.

Thanks Z! You didn't tell me you had added all that stuff to my engine! Razz

1600 SP engine
keg184
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Intro and Restore Reply with quote

Good luck with your 69. I finished my 69 about a month ago and am using it for my daily driver except in rain and snow.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by keg184 on Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Intro and Restore Reply with quote

Looking good, keg.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Intro and Restore Reply with quote

keg184 wrote:

This looks straight out of JC Whitney circa 1986.

Did you install the power windows and cruise control

1600 SP engine
69RVABUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Intro and Restore Reply with quote

Definitely a pretty car!
kgarchivinusa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Intro and Restore Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

Good luck with your project.
Just want to share my 1968 bug with you. I bought it last October and convert it into a Formula Vee replica.

1968 VW 411 4-door royal red
1968 VW 411 L 4-door cobaltblue
1988 Porsche 924S Targa alpinweiss

(O = i = O) Karmann Ghia rassig und charmant [hot-blooded and charming] [O o\ i /o O]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69RVABUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Intro and Restore Reply with quote

Been quite a while since anything has happened with this little guy. Had an engine on order with MOFOCO since July 2021 and it finally arrived December 2022. What a mess. Looks good though.

This past weekend the beetle made a trip to the body shop to be completely gone over and painted inside and out.

So far I'm in to this little thing about $20k. And it won't even have air conditioning!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: