Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New member south Florida!
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kobra101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: New member south Florida! Reply with quote

Hi all! Very excited to finally be a member of the samba I have been lurking for years reading and reading... my dream car was always a beetle something always came in between me getting my dream car, whether it was finances, space, or bad timing... well today it happened, a friend told me he knew someone that was selling a bug it was in decent shape but the motor was locked up so if I could get it cheap I was in.. I never thought this day would come but it's finally here I'm the proud owner of a 1969 beetle autostick with a locked motor! Lol.. when I get started I will be posting a build thread that I will update regularly so everyone can keep up with my progress and hopefully help out. Here's the kicker I don't know much about beetles mechancally so I will have a ton of questions but I'm really hoping to hook up with some locals in the south Florida area that may be willing to help out.. again thank you in advance I'm going to have a lot of silly questions and going to need a bunch of help and of course some pictures
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Kobra101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New member south Florida! Reply with quote

Kobra101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New member south Florida! Reply with quote

I love my new bug here's a few of the issues that need to be addressed right rear wheel is totally locked up.. and motor is seized.. like I was saying when I clean out my garage and get her n to start working on it I will start a build thread and update regularly..

I was also wondering I was searching and can't seem to find a regional section to find clubs or fellow vw owners in the area am I missing it somewhere?
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New member south Florida! Reply with quote

Hello and welcome because the motor is locked and because its autostick you be removing a few more pieces because you won't be able to unbolt the torque converter and be ready to catch about two quarts of trans fluid. Will you be keeping it automatic?
Kobra101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New member south Florida! Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome! Thank you for those pointers I'll need all I can get I saw a pretty thorough vid on YouTube remove the motor with an autostick, but yes I will be keeping the autostick, I found a company that has all the autostick parts that I need plus I checked the tranny fluid and it was very clean I'm thinking I may have gotten lucky.. a lot of people are telling me that the manual conversion is a pretty difficult task for a 69 because there is no clutch tube on the chassis and something about the motor having no to be shimmed to limit shaft play.. a little advanced for me because I'm just starting out
Kobra101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: New member south Florida! Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Hello and welcome because the motor is locked and because its autostick you be removing a few more pieces because you won't be able to unbolt the torque converter and be ready to catch about two quarts of trans fluid. Will you be keeping it automatic?

To my understanding since it's locked up I can't get to the torque converter bolts because the motor won't spin.. what extra will I have to take off since I can't get to them?
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: New member south Florida! Reply with quote

Did one right before Christmas. Removed decklid first then carb, v belt fuel pump,distributor, fanshroud,muffler,crank pulley because engine needs to slide back far enough so torque converter will clear the bell housing. You will be taking all this stuff off anyway to diagnose why it seized. There's a thread further up in the late model bug forum titled " grabbed this for 800 dollars" and this thread belongs in that forum so more people can see it and help you.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: New member south Florida! Reply with quote

Zundfolge and I (mainly Zundfolge) Very Happy have been working on a 72 super with autostick I bought with a locked up motor, as he mentinoed there are pieces you need to remove mainly the exhaust muffler etc to allow the engine to scoot far enough back.
My other car is a 69 autostick I would be happy to help out however I can.
Also, I REALLY want that trunk liner, it would be a perfect match for my red 69!!! Drool

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Kobra101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: New member south Florida! Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Zundfolge and I (mainly Zundfolge) Very Happy have been working on a 72 super with autostick I bought with a locked up motor, as he mentinoed there are pieces you need to remove mainly the exhaust muffler etc to allow the engine to scoot far enough back.
My other car is a 69 autostick I would be happy to help out however I can.
Also, I REALLY want that trunk liner, it would be a perfect match for my red 69!!! Drool

Wow you guys are great thank you very much for offer you're assistance so basically the torque converter will slide with my motor towards the rear of the car and fall right down like normal? Of course after I remove all those parts.. how many bolts will I be removing to get my motor off the tranny same 4 I see in all the vids?
Kobra101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: New member south Florida! Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Did one right before Christmas. Removed decklid first then carb, v belt fuel pump,distributor, fanshroud,muffler,crank pulley because engine needs to slide back far enough so torque converter will clear the bell housing. You will be taking all this stuff off anyway to diagnose why it seized. There's a thread further up in the late model bug forum titled " grabbed this for 800 dollars" and this thread belongs in that forum so more people can see it and help you.

That's helps a lot I will attack all this slowly.. try not to rush it, I'm very good at breaking stuff lol
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: