Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

backspacing
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: backspacing Reply with quote

I need to buy a stock 15x5.5" rim for a spare tire. On various sites I have seen many different backspaces for that wheel. I have seen 4.3/4, 4/0 and 3/78 inches. I am very confused and would appreciate help
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: backspacing Reply with quote

The back spacing for a stock 14 inch wheel is 4-3/8 inches.
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: backspacing Reply with quote

Thanks but I am looking to buy 15x5.5 Each wheel I see that size has different backspacing. I dont know which on to get.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: backspacing Reply with quote

Ultimately I would say go with the 4-3/4 backspace. That will situate the wheel in the wheel well within an eighth of an inch of where the stock 14 inch wheel would sit.

But first I have to ask you -

Are all your other wheels 15 inch? Why not measure the backspace of one of those that you know will work for you.

If your other wheels are not 15 inch, then why do you want the spare to be?
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: backspacing Reply with quote

Capt
All my are 15" I was trying to avoid taking a wheel off becasue of Medical issues avoiding the cost of taking it to a garage. I dont know if it helps but I have a photo of my wheels on this site. out of curiosity what is the difference between a slotted wheel and a smoothie wheel. i might go with the 4-3/4 and if its wrong, its only a spare. What do you think
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: backspacing Reply with quote

Pop off a hubcap and look for the ET marking on one of your mounted wheels.
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: backspacing Reply with quote

Capt

Thanks, I will do that.
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: backspacing Reply with quote

If it's a spare and won't be rotated with the other wheels/tires getting a wheel with the same backspacing won't be necessary.
You also don't need to go with a 5.5" wide wheel. Any width, from 4.0 to 5.5" would be fine-if it will only be a spare.
Getting a spare tire with the same diameter as your other four tires would be a good idea, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: backspacing Reply with quote

Not sure if a 5.5 rim will work and close the hood. If you have these better test fit first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: backspacing Reply with quote

Ron Domeck wrote:
Not sure if a 5.5 rim will work and close the hood. If you have these better test fit first.

Hey Nik
My THING came with the chrome slotted 15'' rims with 205x70's on first purchase BUT...not sure the width. They probably are 5.5's.

The Spare rim had a smaller old crusty (looked mid 70's/early 80's) spare tire.

I replaced it with new tire due and I THINK it's a:
185x75 r15 tire.
(from memory I can confirm when I get home)

The 205x70R15's wont fit under the hood.

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: backspacing Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for your advice. Now that I'm totally confused can I ask fot your recommendations for a spare tire? I haven't bought the rim yet so I'm pretty much open for suggestions. Once again thanks in advance for all your help
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: backspacing Reply with quote

If the rims are different width, then ideally you would want the same ET over having the same backspace.

Last edited by Wildthings on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: backspacing Reply with quote

Give us some info on your Thing's tire size. For example if you had 195/70-15) tires your diameter would be 25.7".
With that number in mind, you could look for a narrower tire with a similar diameter. A 165/80-15 has a diameter of 25.4", which is only a 1.2% difference and would work as a spare. You could mount that tire on a 4.0 or 4.5" rim and it would fit under your Thing's hood.

So, your tire size?
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: backspacing Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay in responding. Thanks so much for the advice. I never thought about the tire fitting under the hood. I will be putting on 205/65/15 to replace the 205/70/15 on her now.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: backspacing Reply with quote

The 205 wide is what I would be worried about. I know that Tee Watkins had to send back his 205 tire on a 5.5 wheel and get a 195 on a 4.5 wheel for the hood to close.
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: backspacing Reply with quote

Ron After listening to what everyone had to say, I know that [and you confirmed] i would need a different size spare to fit under the hood. I am hoping someone can advise me what size to get that would fit under the hood and get me home should I have a flat. What are the specs on the 195 you mentioned and would that size be safe to drive on in an emergency.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: backspacing Reply with quote

195/75R14 is the largest 14" tire that will fit. Since you're running 15" wheels you might look at a 195/60R15. It's slightly smaller than the 195/75R14, so we know it will fit in the trunk, and it's within a half inch of being the same diameter of the 205/65R14s that you're going to have. I'd doubt you'd notice the difference while driving.

Why not consider going with the 195s all around? You're only giving up a quarter inch in width and a quarter inch of ground clearance, and then you won't have to consider your spare to be a "temporary" spare.
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: backspacing Reply with quote

Cant
Thanks a million. Unless someone has a problem with your suggestion, I am going with your suggestion [195/60R15] for the spare tires. I have a nice set of michelins that I am going to put them on my Thing. Again thanks
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: backspacing Reply with quote

Capt
If I buy that tire you mentions should I get a 5 or 5.5" wide rim.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: backspacing Reply with quote

5 inch.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: