Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

thumping noise right front of EVC 1997
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DKR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: thumping noise right front of EVC 1997 Reply with quote

My 1997 EVC runs well. This just started-

After getting up to speed (~45 MPH) & I then when I back off on the gas pedal, I get a pretty good thump, thump, thump sound at right front.

If I hit the gas again, thump stops.

If I back off the gas slowly, it may or may not start thumping.

Sound is only on the right front side of the EVC.

Turning corner - right or left, sharp or shallow or even running in a circle (either direction) , no noise, which is where/when I expect a CV joint to start making noise...

So - a bad CV joint? Something else? Anything specific to look for when I crawl under this weekend?
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: thumping noise right front of EVC 1997 Reply with quote

Yeah. We had a very similar experience with our 93 weekender and it was an axle. For whatever my input may be worth!

Good luck to ya.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: thumping noise right front of EVC 1997 Reply with quote

Classic driveshaft. If you like the EV, go for OEM axles - the build quality on axles is all over the map.
DKR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: thumping noise right front of EVC 1997 Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies.

I suspected as much - an entire axle and CV setup is ~$160 here in Ak. Double that for the labor.

Anyone swap one of these out or is it best left to he folks with the tools and experience?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: thumping noise right front of EVC 1997 Reply with quote

Its bolt and torque - no way I would pay labor rates for hand tool work..
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: thumping noise right front of EVC 1997 Reply with quote

Don't you have to remove the lower balljoint to pull out the CV axle on the Eurovan? Not too difficult but it's more of a hassle than say a Vanagon.
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: thumping noise right front of EVC 1997 Reply with quote

Check all your lug nuts asap.

1999 Eurovan
2003 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro
1992 W201 190e 2.3 Mercedes
2006 W220 S600 V12 Twin Turbo 5.5 Mercedes
DKR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: thumping noise right front of EVC 1997 Reply with quote

Well, I'll be...

I checked the tire bolts on the right rear - squeaky tight. Checked the right front - and was able to turn each bolt about a 1/4 turn before hitting 'squeaky' tight.

After that, made a high speed run and - no thumping.

Thanks to gakali I learned a valuable lesson. I had thought loose lugs nuts, but I'd had the tires rotated less than 300 kM ago.

Lesson? Always - if you can - check someone else's work, esp on tires.

Normally, here in Alaska, the tire monkeys run the air hammer to the point that it is nearly impossible to remove a lug nut - and I have had a couple of times where they have stripped off the lug..... A constant source of great annoyance when you ask to have the tire bolts hand torqued (and I'm willing to pay extra) for that extra effort

and then you hear the Brraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapppp of the air hammer on your autos tires. Gah!

The shop that did the work makes a big deal (even in their ads) of hand tightening lug nuts. Must have been a little light on this one tire.

Bottom line - it pays to ask -

THANK YOU SAMBA and very much thank you gakali

you saved me a trip to the shop and likely 100's of bucks.

The lesson re-learned - priceless.....
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: thumping noise right front of EVC 1997 Reply with quote

gakali wrote:
Check all your lug nuts asap.

well done Sir/Madam!
Vänä White
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: thumping noise right front of EVC 1997 Reply with quote

I have this same issue, but mine came on after Downshifting going downhill (I know really stupid in an automatic) it’s on the driver side, thump thump changes with speed and stays when in neutral. Transmission is still shifting fine but my guess so far is ring and pinion in my differential. What did I do to my beloved Vänä White! Please help!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: thumping noise right front of EVC 1997 Reply with quote

Vänä White wrote:
I have this same issue, but mine came on after Downshifting going downhill (I know really stupid in an automatic) it’s on the driver side, thump thump changes with speed and stays when in neutral. Transmission is still shifting fine but my guess so far is ring and pinion in my differential. What did I do to my beloved Vänä White! Please help!

A differential swap isn’t too bad or expensive if it can be sourced separately

What year model do you have?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: