Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

backspacing
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: backspacing Reply with quote

I agree 5 in. same as a Thing wheel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: backspacing Reply with quote

A quick check on the Tire Rack site shows that most 195/60r15 are specced to be used on a 5.5 to 7" wide rim, with the tires measurements being given for a 6" wide rim.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: backspacing Reply with quote

If you have a choice of 5" and 5.5" you should check the backspacing for both rims too.
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: backspacing Reply with quote

Capt
Both website i have been to only sell 15x5.5. Can I use them with the
195/60r15 tire One has 3-3/4 INCH BACK SPACING) backspacing

another company has 3 7/8 backspace. These wheels accept tires from 135R15 to 165R15 as well as various other 15" tire sizes.

Suggestions please.
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: backspacing Reply with quote

So, you'll be putting 205/65-15 tires on your thing?
If so, your tire's diameter will be 25.4"

If you're spare wheel/tire will only be a spare and never rotated with the other 4 wheels/tires it doesn't matter what width tire you get, as long as the diameter is close to the 205mm tire.
The size of the wheel/tire (14" or 15") doesn't matter. What matters is a match to the 205's diameter.

You need to look for a narrow 14" or 15" wheel (4" or 4'5" would be fine) and the skinniest tire that has a diameter close to the 205mm tire.

Here's an example:

An inexpensive 165/80R15 tire has the same diameter (25.4")
Buy a used 4.0" or 4.5" wheel and mount the 165mm tire.

You have a new spare for a reasonable price and it will fit under the hood.
Why would you want a bigger tire and wheel? It's a spare, right? The only time it will be used is if you get a flat.

Keep it simple.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: backspacing Reply with quote

The stock wheel is 5 inches wide with a 4-3/8" backspace. If you increase the width of the wheel to 5.5, you're moving the inside of the wheel 1/4" inboard and the outside edge of the wheel 1/4" outboard. Now let's factor in the change in backspace. If you change from 4-3/8" to either 4-3/4" or 4-7/8" backspace, and account for the wider wheel as well, you are moving the inside edge of the wheel inboard either 5/8" or 3/4" respectively. If it were me I'd go with the the wheel with 4-3/4" backspacing. But I can't promise that you won't get some rubbing.

I also can't promise that a 195 tire on a 5.5" rim is going to fit under the hood. I have a 195 on a 5 inch rim, and it barely fits. And when I say barely I mean that a discerning eye looking at the front of my car could tell that the passenger side of the hood is being pushed up ever so slightly by the spare tire. Have a look at this photo:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The 195 tire in the luggage compartment keeps the the seam between the hood and the body from being even all the way around.

So if we assume that the 5.5" wide rim is going to make the profile of the tire wider than the profile of my tire on a 5" rim, I can't promise that you are going to like the results.

Did you ever pull a hubcap off one of your existing rims and find out what it was? You know those rims work, so that might be helpful.
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: backspacing Reply with quote

Doublecanister
Does that 185x75 r15 tire fit in the trunk?

I dont know if its a stupid question BUT could I use a 14" tire as a spare?
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: backspacing Reply with quote

I don't see a problem using a 14" wheel/tire as a spare, if the tire's diameter is the same, or very close, to the tires that are on the car.
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: backspacing Reply with quote

I have a 14" now that I have for a spare. I doubt it is similar to the tires I have on now BUT it would only be used very very temporarily!! That would save me a lot of money if I didnt have to buy a rim and tire. I will have to check the size of the 14" spare
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: backspacing Reply with quote

The stock 185r14 tires would have been about the same size as a 185/75r15 as would a 195/75r14.
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: backspacing Reply with quote

Even if there is a bit of difference in the wheel/tire diameter I don't see a concern if it's only used as a spare.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: backspacing Reply with quote

911pickup wrote:
Even if there is a bit of difference in the wheel/tire diameter I don't see a concern if it's only used as a spare.

I drove nearly two hours to look at (and eventually buy) an '03 Beetle Turbo S, and got a flat tire on my '14 Tiguan R-Line 4-motion. If I could limp home with a donut spare on the left front and three 19x9 wheels (forget the tire size but you get the idea) on the other three corners -- in the rain, no less -- I can't imagine this spare tire solution being a problem.
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: backspacing Reply with quote

Oasis

Judging from all the help I have received I am pretty convinced that i can keep my 14" spare to use in case of a flat. It should get me home or to a place to get the flat fixed.

You all have been great and thank you all for taking the time to help me out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: