Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

You simply can't beat a stock muffler for heat, carb preheat exhaust to run through the carb manifold and quietness in the cab. My 1776 had a header and single exhaust. Holy crap was the noise decreased when I installed the stock muffler.

Most all aftermarket exhausts don't flow hardly any exhaust through the carb manifold to heat the long intake runners on the center mounted single carbs. Only the stock ones are designed for that.

Edit- look for an NOS German made muffler too. It will fit better than the new ones sold today. There's always some for sale in the classifieds or other places.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
You simply can't beat a stock muffler for heat, carb preheat exhaust to run through the carb manifold and quietness in the cab. My 1776 had a header and single exhaust. Holy crap was the noise decreased when I installed the stock muffler.

Most all aftermarket exhausts don't flow hardly any exhaust through the carb manifold to heat the long intake runners on the center mounted single carbs. Only the stock ones are designed for that.

Edit- look for an NOS German made muffler too. It will fit better than the new ones sold today. There's always some for sale in the classifieds or other places.

I'm taking your advice and going stock with the exhaust. My builder is sourcing the exhaust, I requested German if possible. He says he is using a lot of OEM parts, so hopefully he is able to source some. I feel a bit bad that I'm not building this engine, but I just have other priorities.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Well, I did some prep for my new engine this weekend. Though I have essentially no pictures. I was too busy focusing on my task I guess. And enjoying the SUN! we haven't had sun here in months it feels like. I didn't even have to wear a jacket! Spring must be coming! So I went to work, I fixed my fuel sending unit, fixed my sliding door latches so I now can get a double click and secure my door well, same with my front passenger door (it had a small broken spring), I switched out one of my CV Boots (one of the NOS one's was crumbling before my eyes. Ironically the other seems to be in perfect condition still, so I left it), I finished putting in the last little bit of my sound deadener and lightly glued my carpets down so I can now slide boxes on it, I painted the fuel tank cover white, I removed and cleaned my electric fuel pump and Voltage Regulator (both things I will not be needing with my new engine), secured the rear piece of deluxe trim that was loose from broken clips.

Last week I sourced my new mustache bar, engine hangers, rear valance, engine seals (fire wall and tin), and engine mount bushings. I will still need to get in touch with someone parting out a bus that they will cut up because my PO Mad cut out the left side rear sloping "tin" that is part of the body. Mainly the part that the engine seal slides into... sigh...

What I didn't get done though is removing the old engine hangers which are cut from my PO Mad . But I did contact my buddy mike and he said he has a grinding wheel I can use to remove them. Then I'll bolt the new engine in, drive it to the shop where I can properly weld those hangers in.

Overall a pretty productive weekend. It's great when I can a couple solid chunks of time to work on the bus. Can't wait to put in Brutus's new heart!

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

A preview of my new engine. I just have to remove my old hangers, install my new ones, and then pickup the engine and install. Hmm... might take a little while as I'm not at a shop anymore. But I'm hoping Friday I'll have it in the van Very Happy

Link

TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Niiiiice. You'll be driving it in no time....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Might wanna do something with your oil breather next to the oil fill or you are going to have one messy engine/bay. It is supposed to connect to the air cleaner and I do see that particular air cleaner has the connection for it.

Other than that looks good.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Chochobeef wrote:
Might wanna do something with your oil breather next to the oil fill or you are going to have one messy engine/bay. It is supposed to connect to the air cleaner and I do see that particular air cleaner has the connection for it.

Other than that looks good.

Good spot. I'll make sure to get that on there before driving much.

orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I haven't looked at your thread in quite awhile and had to backtrack to figure out why you went from a type 4 to type 1. It makes a lot of sense. Getting in to a can of worms rebuild is one thing in December, quite another in April. Good to have a second engine in the works to take your time on. Hope you are on the road soon. Smile
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Orwell: Yeah, and im going to run out of time to really use the bus here soon. So I need it to be good and reliable.

I picked up the engine yesterday. Here is a picture of the engine before putting it into the bus and a picture of the engine after I put it in the bus.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and a picture of the engine after I put it in the bus: Laughing

I have been cleaning up my new mustache bar and getting my mounts and such set up so I can install the engine. Although it looks like I am missing some throttle cable guides that go through the tin, as well as some other small bits and pieces. But the price on the engine was right and the guy that built it has a ton of experience, so it should works out really well.

Here is a quick picture dump of what has been going on:
Mustache bar cleaning, just a little rust/dirt/oil/unicorn crap:

I did finish cleaning that mustache bar, and painted it. I'll post pictures of that this weekend. I have Friday off to work all day! Super pumped to get this thing in the engine.

A finishing thought/question.
-The spark plug wires on this engine seem kind of crappy, is there any difference between type 1 spark plug wires and type 4 spark plug wires?

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

As promised, here are pictures of the mustache bar. I have a full flow system, and it required notching the mustache bar, I didn't know this when I started today, but I think it will work fine. I have a few questions:

1) I am replacing my engine mounts on my frame, and I'm not sure which one goes on which side. Can someone take a picture for me?
2) where do you guys route your fuel lines? Is there a stock hard line that goes through the tin?
3) where can i get a replacement accelerator guide tube, the one that is similar to a bike cable guide. Here is a picture of what I'm talking about. I just can't find it for a bus.

And the mustache bar:

Just when I think I'm starting to know this about this vehicle, it all changes... Dang me...

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I used a long spring off a screen door as a guide Wink
had to notch my stash bar for F.F. too Laughing Did u see the new sidewinder header (empi Rolling Eyes ) their making?
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

The guide tube through the shroud can be made out of 1/4" brake line with a flare at one end. My original one is 8 & 1/8" (3/16 if you want to be exact) long.

Mounts should be the same left & right.

Did you box in the cut in the mustache bar? This would be a way for more water & dirt to accumulate inside the bar.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I don't think the engine mounts are directional.. There is a stock hard line. It extends an inch or two in front of the front tin. It also clips into the spark plug wire clip on the shroud.

Good luck! Very Happy

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

ccpalmer wrote:
I don't think the engine mounts are directional.. There is a stock hard line. It extends an inch or two in front of the front tin. It also clips into the spark plug wire clip on the shroud.

Good luck! Very Happy

Those pictures are good. Thank you. This explains the fuel lines great!

Idk if the engine mounts are bidirectional or not, but they aren't identical. And it seems that they angle in or out just a little bit. It may not matter, but I'm putting them in so I mine as well do it right.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I took a picture of one of the engine hangers, as you can see they aren't welded symmetrical, the inner sheet is welded heavily towards one side, and when placed on the frame seem to have an angle to them. Can someone please confirm of there is any angle and if there is, does it point forward or backwards. I need to make sure my engine will fully mate to my engine with keeping my engine mounts neutral and not forward or backward. Thank you in advance.

ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Here's a pic of my right side hanger. You should be able to see the orientation from it. Photo is from rear of vehicle.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Ohhh, the brackets, not the mounts, gotcha.
The brackets have a definite angle to them when mounted with the lower edge towards the front of th van. Here is the passenger side.

If you look at the top edge, you can see the angle at which they're welded in.

And the drivers side.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

The passenger engine mount bracket is 14 3/4" back from the shock mount bracket.

While the rear edge of the bracket is 4 3/4" STRAIGHT down from the frame rail (where the bumper bracket would bolt to.), with the lowest point of the bracket being 5".

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

That was perfect guys! Thank you! I'll be doing some drilling tonight to bolt them in (PO had already drilled for bolts, so no extra damage done to the frame) so I can get it to the shop to weld them in permanently.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

If you are using long bolts to bolt all the way through the bracket & frame rail, be sure to use a piece of pipe as a sleeve to avoid crushing the frame rail

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 30

Jump to: