Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Overland Expo West 2017
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
guggenheim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Overland Expo West 2017 Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone from thesamba are planning on attending Overland Expo West this year?

I know this gathering isn't as popular to VW owners as Syncrofest but understand that a lot of us are switching rigs and Overland Expo is a great gathering to learn about other platforms of expedition vehicles and products.

https://www.overlandexpo.com/west/
jamin307
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Overland Expo West 2017 Reply with quote

I'm driving down from Denver in my 2wd for it. I'll be helping man a booth for a non-profit I work with - while wandering around imagining what I would buy if I won the lotto.
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Overland Expo West 2017 Reply with quote

The rigs I have seen down here in Baja for the last two months have been outrageous.
Met an american guy today with a 4x4 sprinter that he has about 110k in but the really cool stuff is european and we cant have it for love or money Sad
Birdcage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Overland Expo West 2017 Reply with quote

A handful of us are caravaning from Colorado. Probably pick up some overlanders along the way.
jismay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Overland Expo West 2017 Reply with quote

Was there last year with my 1980 Westy, will be there again this year volunteering with the event. Planning on being in the Westy again, may bring the dirt-bike as well.
1989 VW Cabriolet
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jamin307
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Overland Expo West 2017 Reply with quote

Birdcage wrote:
A handful of us are caravaning from Colorado. Probably pick up some overlanders along the way.

Would love to meet up with you guys and your caravan if the timing works out.
Birdcage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Overland Expo West 2017 Reply with quote

jamin307 wrote:
Birdcage wrote:

Would love to meet up with you guys and your caravan if the timing works out.

Will keep ya posted
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Overland Expo West 2017 Reply with quote

I have been anticipating going if my van is finished but I doubt it will have all the bugs worked out and be camp ready by then.
I may end up with a new (to me) motorcycle so I might pack that up and head out.
I would be heading out from Ohio.
Only time will tell.
I will more than likely be attending Overland Expo east if they can work on the pricing some.
It was pretty pricey last year for two people and a rig.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Homercules
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Overland Expo West 2017 Reply with quote

I've been preparing for this years Expo for over a year...rebuilt my truck and built a custom trailer with RTT but unfortunately my co-pilot had to back out. Sad

It seems like a waste to bring a truck and trailer for just me so I think I'm going to van it instead! The route I planned should be fine for my syncro and I can still head to Syncro Solstice afterwards (I was originally just planning to meet up with friends in Moab).

Anybody else heading to Syncro Solstice after? I have a pretty cool route planned if anyone is interested! Very Happy

On the way down I'm planning on stopping at Craters of the Moon->Wendover->Great Basin->Bryce (or Kodachrome)->Flagstaff

Then to Moab, Point Sublime->Alstrom Point->Hole in the Rock->Burr Trail->Beef Basin->Moab

If conditions are good.
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Overland Expo West 2017 Reply with quote

I live in Flagstaff and will be attending, most likely on my bicycle. My syncro is waiting for me to get and install the rebuilt tranny. It won't be done by then, but I am into meeting up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Overland Expo West 2017 Reply with quote

Whenever I see one of those ridiculously obese overbuilt Euro fortress on wheels so-called "overland" rigs, I always think of Drive Nacho Drive - a 2WD Westy, with pretty much stock everything, driving more than 40,000 km all around the world.

You do not need a huge monster expensive expedition truck to go do this, just some creativity and chutzpah.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Overland Expo West 2017 Reply with quote

climberjohn wrote:
Whenever I see one of those ridiculously obese overbuilt Euro fortress on wheels so-called "overland" rigs, I always think of Drive Nacho Drive - a 2WD Westy, with pretty much stock everything, driving more than 40,000 km all around the world.

You do not need a huge monster expensive expedition truck to go do this, just some creativity and chutzpah.

Good point. I find it funny that a lot of the Vanagon crowd finds large RV's excessive, yet some drool over these types Overland rigs with cranes to move the huge spare tire(s) from the roof to the ground.

To each their own i guess.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Overland Expo West 2017 Reply with quote

When you camp next to one of these MAN rigs on a mexican beach that is tough for even a syncro to get to, and see the quality of life these folk are enjoying , you might just gain some insight.
They are in no way similar to an american RV
Homercules
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Overland Expo West 2017 Reply with quote

Love my Syncro but if I won the lottery I would buy one of those Overland RVs to live and travel in. I would downsize my permanent home where most people would buy something larger. But that's just me.
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Overland Expo West 2017 Reply with quote

Homercules wrote:
Love my Syncro but if I won the lottery I would buy one of those Overland RVs to live and travel in. I would downsize my permanent home where most people would buy something larger. But that's just me.

Most are " homes" for them.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Overland Expo West 2017 Reply with quote

on the 2016 Baja trip, we met a couple from France with a Man... it's a nice rig

here's my observations
- it's big.. if you think a Sprinter 4x4 rig is big, it's bigger (a Vanagon is a dwarf side by side)
- it's over built, good for transcontinental trip on trails
- not so spacious inside as it looks
- top speed is slower than my tintop Syncro WBX 2.1
- $250K (may be more) expensive or not depending your wallet... it's in the price range of a Fuso 4x4 rig or a Sprinter 4x4 rig by SportMobile
- certainly not as agile as a Sprinter and even less than a Syncro

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Overland Expo West 2017 Reply with quote

Agile it is not but there are things it is amazing at doing.
I watched a swiss guy pull out several rigs stuck in the sand including a 4x4 .
It was truly impressive. The guy was so excited every time someone got stuck.
His tires were 4 feet in diameter so even if he was dug in 2 feet he was just getting to his axles.[/i]
jamin307
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Overland Expo West 2017 Reply with quote

Heading down to the Expo from Denver tomorrow. Shoot me a message if anyone is going to be down there. Will be at the Thunderbeard Outdoor Restoration Organization booth/tent all weekend.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: