Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Problem with VDO elect. speedo
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cecil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Problem with VDO elect. speedo Reply with quote

Having a problem with my VDO electric speedometer and Hall Effect sensor. The needle would oscillate between 45-55 mph, even after lubing the cable. Because I already had a VDO speedometer and my other gauges are VDO, I decided to try a VDO GPS sender. Otherwise I would have probably purchased a Speedhut speedo. Got the sender from Amazon for $165, cheaper than I found at Summit or Jegs even with my military discount. The instructions that came with the sender really sucked, but the customer service guy at VDO was great. Had to re-program the speedo to read 200,000 pulses a mile (easy). Mounted the sensor on my front bumper slightly under the license plate, attached the wiring so the unit would always be on (same draw on battery as the stereo clock) and it was ready to go. If I hooked up the unit to switch on mode it would take a couple minutes to wake up, take a shower, brush teeth and locate a satellite. Works great, glad I made the switch, and highly recommend the set up. One and only drawback I can tell is if it doesn’t see a satellite( in tunnel etc.), you don’t see the speed. 4 9/10 stars out of 5.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with VDO elect. speedo Reply with quote

Hi Cecil,

Interesting concept, that GPS sender. I may have use for that. Thanks for sharing. So when you're in a tunnel, does the needle drop to zero or does it just remain at the speed you were at when you went into the tunnel?

I'm surprised they are legal. Seems like it would be too easy to spoof the mileage.
cecil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with VDO elect. speedo Reply with quote

The last speed you were going is what you see. Didn't think about the odometer, but that would work. Very satisfied so far, but would mount the sender on top of the dash pad next to the wind shield. Looks like it would still get a good view.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: