Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stolen vw stories
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen vw stories Reply with quote

Fish wrote:
It may be, but it was the name he used on two different rental agreements.

I'll keep an Eye out and an open ear even though I'm worlds away, have you tried any social media searches?
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen vw stories Reply with quote

FullFender wrote:
Fish wrote:
It may be, but it was the name he used on two different rental agreements.

I'll keep an Eye out and an open ear even though I'm worlds away, have you tried any social media searches?

About every five years I'll do searches and I'm always looking for special thinks only that bus had. Thanks for keeping an ear open.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen vw stories Reply with quote

I was just a year or so out of high school, around 1982, when I sold my mostly restored '57 bug to a lady. She was very excited to now own a "nice" bug. I warned her to keep an eye on it no matter where you park it. The bug was Mercedes beige running Fuchs, Dave Folts trans, German heads, definitely an eye catcher. After about 3 weeks she called me, asked that if I saw the bug to let her know because it had been stolen. She then told me they went to Denny's for breakfast, came out and it was gone. I sadly told her that by now, it was probably in 10-12 pieces in some guys garage and he was on the phone selling it off! I never did find out any more...
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen vw stories Reply with quote

Well, I cant really tell this story without sounding like a complete dumb ass, but i will tell it in the small hopes that maybe someday I will find my cars.

When I got out of the Army back in 1989 I moved from Hawaii to Greenville SC. The VW scene in SC wasn't much back then, but I had a warmed over bug in the Army and I loved it. I really wanted a split bug and a 23 window bus. As luck would have and a fist full of dollars I was able to land three split bugs and a 23 window.

Here is were the stupid part comes in, I contacted a guy at the Fast times at Farmington show in the very early 90's who went by the name Wild Willies Customizing. His real name, William Clinton Johnson, this was before the infamous Bill Clinton. Well we make a deal to exchange two split bugs to do body work and paint to the 23. I let him tow the three cars to his shop, yes I know please don't rub it in, I was young and it still hurts to write this.

Communication at first is great until I mention I would like to visit, about a 4 hour trip from Greenville to Winston Salem, to see the progress. The excuses start about being out of town the days I can visit etc... When I finally get fed up and drive up unannounced his place is empty, cleaned out. I am out a 1950 and 1951 split, and a 23 window bus.

I did find him and get the police involved and he claims I am being unreasonable about how long it takes to restore a car and he had to move his shop and a whole line of excuses. He claims I threated him and his girlfriend a Michele Roten (spelling) that's why he was avoiding me and would need another month to complete the work. It had been about 3 years from the time he got the cars at this point. All they did was give him a head start to go into hiding again.

I have tried to locate this guy several times over the years without any luck. I am writing this knowing I will be roasted for my stupidity, but I was young and naïve and trusted people to stand behind their word. He ruined it for me, I do not trust people any more. If anyone knows where this guy is, or remembers anything that could help, I would be forever grateful, mostly I would just like to get the bus back as it had a lot of sentimental value.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen vw stories Reply with quote

Do you still have the VIN's? I would try to follow up on them, even though it has been some time. Also do a Business search for him, see if he's working somewhere else. Maybe a Sambanite will see this and have a lead for you...
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen vw stories Reply with quote

I still have every bit of paperwork to include the titles on all three cars. Hell I even have keys for the 23. The 23 window used to have a home made router sign that said Bobo. I have a book that the previous two owners kept that listed repairs and gas mileage etc...

Really Really miss that bus.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen vw stories Reply with quote

In 1978 My wife, then G.F. had a Nice 66 Fontana Grey Euro sunroof beetle with a gas heater, locking column and real Euro tail lights. I put a W/S in it and asked the guy about it. He said it was coming out in the want ads that evening.
We went to the guys house and bought it and the phone was ringing the whole time we were there.
Someone along the way had put a U.S. switch in it and just left the key in the column lock.
She parked it in front of her parents house and it was gone the next morning. They had opened the hood and jumped the wrong wires on th eback of the switch and rolled it down the hill it was parked on. I came up to give her a ride and there it was. Put the wires back on the switch and drove it away.
After that I replaced the bad electrical portion of th elocking column and all was good.
It's crazy that some mechanic went to all that trouble to drill a new hole and re wire the switch when all he had to do was get the correct part. Morons
2 years later she rolled it on the right side. I put a rear clip on it and gave it a fresh paint job.
That was a nice car, we sold it to buy a 1971 Super Beetle that we drove to New York and back in.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pdaddy68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen vw stories Reply with quote

pondoras box wrote:
Well, I cant really tell this story without sounding like a complete dumb ass, but i will tell it in the small hopes that maybe someday I will find my cars.

When I got out of the Army back in 1989 I moved from Hawaii to Greenville SC. The VW scene in SC wasn't much back then, but I had a warmed over bug in the Army and I loved it. I really wanted a split bug and a 23 window bus. As luck would have and a fist full of dollars I was able to land three split bugs and a 23 window.

Here is were the stupid part comes in, I contacted a guy at the Fast times at Farmington show in the very early 90's who went by the name Wild Willies Customizing. His real name, William Clinton Johnson, this was before the infamous Bill Clinton. Well we make a deal to exchange two split bugs to do body work and paint to the 23. I let him tow the three cars to his shop, yes I know please don't rub it in, I was young and it still hurts to write this.

Communication at first is great until I mention I would like to visit, about a 4 hour trip from Greenville to Winston Salem, to see the progress. The excuses start about being out of town the days I can visit etc... When I finally get fed up and drive up unannounced his place is empty, cleaned out. I am out a 1950 and 1951 split, and a 23 window bus.

I did find him and get the police involved and he claims I am being unreasonable about how long it takes to restore a car and he had to move his shop and a whole line of excuses. He claims I threated him and his girlfriend a Michele Roten (spelling) that's why he was avoiding me and would need another month to complete the work. It had been about 3 years from the time he got the cars at this point. All they did was give him a head start to go into hiding again.

I have tried to locate this guy several times over the years without any luck. I am writing this knowing I will be roasted for my stupidity, but I was young and naïve and trusted people to stand behind their word. He ruined it for me, I do not trust people any more. If anyone knows where this guy is, or remembers anything that could help, I would be forever grateful, mostly I would just like to get the bus back as it had a lot of sentimental value.

pandoras box, dont be to hard on yourself and dont give up looking. I have been looking for my 61 Beryl green bug that I as a young stupid kid trusted someone as well and got screwed.
Im going to keep looking, but for now I enjoy my 63. there should be a registry on here for stolen VW's that you can post the vin#s so people can keep an eye out and a registry for those people just searching for their old rides.
1984 Jetta (white)
1963 type 1 (turkis)
1966 Type2 11 window
2008 Frontier king cab 4x4
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen vw stories Reply with quote

Edited

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
BeetL62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen vw stories Reply with quote

My dad had an orange ‘74 standard auto-stick back in 1981. He was taking night classes at the local community college and when he went to leave, his key did not unlock the door of the orange Bug that was parked where he parked.

In the end, he actually made out okay on it being stolen, as the insurance company gave more than he paid for it 2 years earlier. Some of the only pics he still has of it are from the weekend before it was stolen where he was touching up stone chips in the paint and waxing it.
usmc1345
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen vw stories Reply with quote

My first bug I purchased in high school back in 97. Got the smashed up.rear end straightened up and got her road worthy. Enlisted in the United States Marine Corps. The bug sat for the next 4 years. During that time my parents moved from Bellflower California to San Bernadino Ca. Fast forward 4 years and I'm out of the Marines the first time in February 2005. Bought a turn key 1600 from Quality German Auto Parts and a freeway flyer trans. Maybe a month or so later. Mom wakes me up asking where my bug is ( i was a bad alchohol abuser back then and she didnt know if i left it somewhere while drunk lol ). Out front i reply. Nope. Its 430am and she isnt there.
I call San Bernadino police and they say ok blahh blahh nlahh. My tools are in the bug , so now i dont have my nail guns, tool bags etc ( took a job as a roofer with my brother whenni got out. ). Our boss was a decent guy and understood. Loaned us tools and a truck a coiple days later.so I call the cops to see if it had been found. The officer on the other end said, wait the whole car is stolen? The person that tooknthe report said it was a stolen license plate....... yes the whole car is stolen. . Ok. Week later. I call and find out it was found in Fontana . Went to the tow yard. Shell. Paid to get it out and have towed home. Still had the new trans. Seats. Couplem ittle things. No work tools. Side note if the person who stole it happens to read this. I doubt your sorry ass used the tools to.learn an honest trade. Fucking theif. I want my tool.box back. My uncle mixed the blue it was painted when i was a kid. He is dead. That was all I had in a physical form from.him. Fuck you. I saved everything i earned for that car when i was 16. Just like that you took it. Man im still pissed and hurt over it. Fuck California. Glad I dont live there anymore. Sorry
Brought up old feelings.
usmc1345
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen vw stories Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My first bug. 63 hardtop

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen vw stories Reply with quote

usmc1345 wrote:
Fuck California. Glad I dont live there anymore

im with you 110% brother
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
usmc1345
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen vw stories Reply with quote

I've been out of there for going on 7 years. I only get back there if I get a load to Redding, or rare So Cal load, then I reload usually in Healdsburg and get out. California does not represent my vision of America. Sell it back to mexico or to the highest bidder for all I care lol.
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 6:34 pm    Post subject: Stolen VW Stories Reply with quote

Okay here goes :

My son wanted and I found for him a 1963 #117 , it was nice, not restored but very nice, painted a light metallic Mercedes blue .

After he runs the poor old gasping 40 horse to death he builds a 1610 using his knowledge and the tips and tricks I taught him and the collected knowledge from his VW magazines, he wanted a Honda Civic killer and WAY overshot his mark, his first time to Irwindale, Ca. drags he was easily blowing V8's out of the water .

So, he discovers the late night street racers way up in the North end of the San Fernando Valley and begins beating the pants off many cars there .

Being young he of course copped an attitude, I waned him not to do this but he persisted and sure enough some one followed him to his buddy's house in South Pasadena where I'd warned him to never, EVER park a VW because it was right across the bridge from Highland park .

He claims 5 minutes inside, I bet it was over 1/2 hour, car is gone, we never found a single piece of it .

LESSON : thieves are garbage and will steal anything not locked up .

I could fill this forum with sad tales from the early 1970's onwards but hopefully all will pay attention .

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen vw stories Reply with quote

Update to my stolen VW’s story, scroll up this page about my stolen VW’s before reading the rest of this post. It’s worth it go one I’ll wait.

Did you read it, ok here goes. After searching for 30 years for any evidence of my stolen cars without any real hint of what happened to them I found my 23 window bus Bobo! It was listed on this site and I was able to recover it without any issues partly due to the fact that I had every piece of paper work for the bus to include the title and even a receipt for the tires that was still on the rear. But mostly because of the person that had it didn’t cause any issues with me taking possession of the bus.

It was almost 30 years to the day and the person who had it wasn’t even born yet when it was stolen but here are a few pictures from when I recovered it.

It’s mostly complete minus the middle seat rear bumper some trim and rear window believe it or not some of the NOS sheet metal was still with it.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen vw stories Reply with quote

Congratulations. I’m still keeping an eye out for my old tool box, bits and pieces from my old bus stolen in 1986.

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:17 pm    Post subject: Recovered VW Typ 241 Reply with quote

This is incredibly good news ! .

I always wonder what happened to my sons '63 # 117 DeLuxe .

You need to tell us the details of how you found it .

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
HUGO bOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen vw stories Reply with quote

pondoras box wrote:
Update to my stolen VW’s story, scroll up this page about my stolen VW’s before reading the rest of this post. It’s worth it go one I’ll wait.

Did you read it, ok here goes. After searching for 30 years for any evidence of my stolen cars without any real hint of what happened to them I found my 23 window bus Bobo! It was listed on this site and I was able to recover it without any issues partly due to the fact that I had every piece of paper work for the bus to include the title and even a receipt for the tires that was still on the rear. But mostly because of the person that had it didn’t cause any issues with me taking possession of the bus.

It was almost 30 years to the day and the person who had it wasn’t even born yet when it was stolen but here are a few pictures from when I recovered it.

It’s mostly complete minus the middle seat rear bumper some trim and rear window believe it or not some of the NOS sheet metal was still with it.

WOW! 30 years after? Shocked Shocked Shocked
Going to open a topic for this project?
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen vw stories Reply with quote

@ fish, VW Nate, and Hugo

Thank you. I never gave up that Bobo and I would cross paths again. Yes I will start a thread on this one also. I am trying to catch up posting two years worth of work on my 11 window, Zelda. Then I will start one for the 23.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: